Profile for Georgie > Reviews

Hope With Eating Disorders
Hope With Eating Disorders
by Lynn Crilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful & Really did give me hope!, 4 Nov. 2012
Although this book is primarily aimed at those who care for someone with an eating disorder, as someone who suffers from an ED I found it really useful too. Lots of books about recovery focus on telling you the author's tragic story and then that they got better, and that they're now recovered which as someone suffering is really frustrating because it doesn't tell you how they did it. But Hope with Eating Disorders is different.

It really did what it said on the cover and gave me hope. It made me realise that the pitfalls of the healthcare system are just that - pitfalls, and that it is possible to find good counsellors and therapists who can help you to get better.

My boyfriend has also read the book and now understands my eating disorder a lot better. I feel that he now knows how to challenge my eating disordered thoughts without it feeling like an attack on me, which helps us to try and fight the eating disorder together rather than arguing with each other. I'm sure many carers could benefit from this, as eating disordered behaviour can make everyone so frustrated - I know in my house we argued often about it.

I've never read a book about eating disorders that actually addresses directly the issues of the media and the internet - pro-anorexia websites have played a massive role in my illness and so having a book address those and tell those I care about why I might go on them, why they're terrible and what to watch for is really good.

I feel a lot like Lynn Crilly has said the things in this book that I often don't feel able to say myself. When I read it, the eating disordered part of me really didn't want to let anyone else read it because it was afraid they would understand too well and would "take my ED away from me". She has such insight into the anorexic mindset and explains things in a really easy to read way.

Of all the eating disorder books I have read, I would definitely recommend this one above the others.