Profile for Charleh > Reviews

Charleh "Charleh" (UK)

The Blue Nowhere
The Blue Nowhere
by Jeffery Deaver

2.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, good plot, but a bit far fetched, 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Blue Nowhere (Paperback)
Admittedly I read this a while ago and I'm going off what I can remember, but I did start getting into it in the first few chapters - unfortunately I was expecting something a little more rooted in reality...

The technological aspects were interesting as it's a topic which is quite close to home, but the unbelievable and at times quite silly things that happen in the book made me cringe whilst reading.

The main character breaking keyboards whilst typing(!?) because of his immensely powerful fingers and throwing the keyboards into a mounting pile in the corner of the room alone made me want to put it down (I've been typing, rock climbing and all sorts for 15 years and I don't break keyboards unless I throw them) - and then the rediculous trap/counter-trap/counter-counter-trap/counter-counter-counter-trap play started to grate on me after a couple of pages.

All in all it was an enjoyable read let down by a lot of absurd ideas - I know that books are supposed to be a departure from reality - but this book was advertising itself as being in the real world, so for that I give it a 2 out of 5.

Far Beyond Driven
Far Beyond Driven

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Beyond Anything Else, 19 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Far Beyond Driven (Audio CD)
I had Vulgar and went on to listen to this - it took time to grow on me, as all great albums do (a LONG time for this one) but the pure guttural nastiness of the vocals, percussive guitars, growling bass, infectious drum patterns and insane solos make this without a doubt one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to.

It has a certain dirty, gritty quality that makes it a very unique album in my books.

Dime does so many things with that axe that you didn't think were possible, and the lyrics and songwriting are amongst the best I've heard.

The album begins with a thrashy number, goes on to more groove orientated songs and then drops down into a well of wallowing self loathing and putridity nearer the climax - don't get me wrong - thats a good thing!

Also the cover of Planet Caravan is good, and Dimes interpretation of Iommis solo is even better than the original! Pure guitar genius!

Buy now!!

The solo in Throes of Rejection is worth the admission price alone!

The End Of Heartache
The End Of Heartache

2.0 out of 5 stars The End Of Killswitch, 19 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The End Of Heartache (Audio CD)
A poor effort - some of the harsh edge that made the previous album so listenable has been removed in favour of a more crisp production on this album, this has the effect of making the music sound overproduced - along with the new vocals KsE sounds more like a poor nu-metal band.

Repeated riffs with no dynamics, no real guitar layering, this album doesn't have many redeeming qualities. I've listened to and loved everything from Down and Pantera to Faith No More, and this just doesn't fit anywhere in my collection.

If you wan't an album that does all of this but 10 times better go for The Art of Balance by Shadows Fall or even Of One Blood by Shadows Fall. Though I have to admit Shadows Fall are starting to lean towards the poorer nu-metally sound on their latest 'The War Within'

Don't buy this unless you like Linkin Park!

The Crusade
The Crusade

5.0 out of 5 stars A damn good CD, forget the negative reviews!, 26 April 2007
This review is from: The Crusade (Audio CD)
I heard 'A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation' a long while back and had a desire since to get hold of Ascendancy but never got round to it - anyway when checking their site to get the Gunshot video I stumbled upon the fact they had a new album out. Of course I thought I'd get that and then catch up later with the other two...

This album is GOOOOD - it's filled with nice riffs, solos and the lyrics aren't half bad either! They are a step up from Ascendancy, as is the musicianship and the production.

Trivium manage to make every song listenable...actually that's a lie, the one track 'This World Can't Tear Us Apart' is pretty dire - just for the lyrics and cheesy intro - but apart from that the music is spot on.

It also features one of the best songs I've heard in 'Becoming the Dragon' which alone is worth the price of the album!

Anyway I give it 4.75 out of 5 just because of the bad track, apart from that it's a blinder!

I've noticed everyone drawing comparisons with Iron Maidens 'Bring Your Daughter...' on one of their songs - forget that, it has the words 'Daughter' and 'Slaughter' in the chorus, but the subject matter is completely different and the rest of the song is nothing like Maiden's.

As for the Hetfield/Metallica comparisons - to be honest Metallica for me never produced a really consistent album - ...And Justice For All and maybe MOP at a stretch was the closest thing to a fully listenable album...

Don't listen to the negative reviews, and put all your 'THIS IS MAINSTREAM' demons in the demon bin - just give it a few listens and I'm sure you'll be headbanging along!