Profile for Paul Kitson > Reviews

Content by Paul Kitson

Paul Kitson (Boston Spa, England.)

Ash
Ash
by James Herbert

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad., 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Ash (Hardcover)
If some readers felt robbed, having paid 20p for this book, have a thought for those of us who paid £9.99 for it. I am repeating most of what others have said, but I can not believe that one of my all time favourite authors could have written this. I had pre ordered this book and had looked forward to it. The first few chapters went ok, but for me, it started to go down hill rapidly. The biggest problem, for me, was the relationship between Ash and Delphine. In dire situations, where people are dying and the building is falling down around your ears, people do not Look tenderly into the eyes of someone they met yesterday! On page 600, as they try to escape the building, she asks Ash "Which way?" (She has worked in the building for three years. He arrived yesterday.) A few lines down it says " - Ash would have been lost in the maze had it not been for Delphine, who always seemed certain of which direction they should take." Page 604. "Which way do we go? She asks again. This poor writing just goes on. I really struggled to get to the end of the book. I thought it lost its way completely. I am sorry Mr Herbert, but I can not believe that you wrote this.

Rogue [DVD]
Rogue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Radha Mitchell
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars A film with bite., 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rogue [DVD] (DVD)
The other reviews have covered most of the details. I enjoyed this film. Having been on a small boat, surrounded by crocodiles, on a similar river, in the same part of Australia, it brought back wonderful memories. The scenery was filmed beautifully and the acting was very good. The tension built well and in places it was scary. Dare I say it, I thought it was better than Jaws. (Very good for its time.) Try it.

Scream of the Banshee [DVD]
Scream of the Banshee [DVD]
Dvd ~ Monica Acosta

1.0 out of 5 stars A film that makes Troll 2 look good., 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Scream of the Banshee [DVD] (DVD)
I got this and 2 other After Dark films for £5. I watched it with my wife and 23 year old son. When it finished, they both looked at me with pity in their eyes and just shook their heads. I should have known by now, having seen the 4 previous After Dark films, not to have parted with my £5. As poor films go, this one took the prize. The "acting" had to be seen to be belived. One man has three fingers cut off. He says "Ouch", just talks nornally then. If this is how After Dark treats the people that it wants to buy their D.V.D.s then I'm sorry but that is the last one I will be buying.

Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Emporer's new clothes., 10 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Solaris [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film last night and thought it had robbed me of 94 minutes of my life. Having looked at the reviews it was clear that it was going to be a "Marmite" film. Everybody has the right to their oppinion, but why do some reviewers bring intelligence it to it? Do they think that they are or will appear more intelligent because they "understand" what it's all about? I think that will put me in the dunces class because I thought it was slow (I've seen techtonic plates move faster) and pretentious.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2013 9:05 PM BST

Damned By Dawn [DVD]
Damned By Dawn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Renee Willner

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of Aussie fun., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Damned By Dawn [DVD] (DVD)
I thought that this was quite a good film. I liked the subject matter ( not many Banshee films about.) I did, however think that it lost its way a bit, towards the end. What I really liked was the "making of -" in the bonus material. The makers and actors looked as if they were having a great time making this film with very little money. It was full marks for this Ausie team for getting the finished film to the quality that was presented. If I'd made a film like this, with the resorces that they had, I would have been pleased with the result.

Wake Wood [DVD]
Wake Wood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall

4.0 out of 5 stars Better 2nd time around., 27 April 2012
This review is from: Wake Wood [DVD] (DVD)
I remember the first time that I watched this, being a little bit disappointed. The reviews in the press, at the time, compared it to The Wickerman. So maybe it had too much hype. When I rewatched it last night I enjoyed it a lot more. I noticed more little details and relaxed more into the story. (I am making a personal rule now, not to review anything untill I have given it a second try.) Everybody's opinion differs, particularly with movies, but this film is worth watching.

Castle Ghosts of England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland [DVD]
Castle Ghosts of England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland [DVD]
Offered by TVserieshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Castle ghosts of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland., 1 Jun. 2011
I first watched this when it was shown on t.v. and was pleased when it came out on D.V.D. Good old fashioned presentation, with not a "medium" in sight or presenters creeping around, then screaming to scare their gullible companions. These are straight forward depictions with some quite credible people retelling their experiences. There is also basic but eerie imagery used to enact the stories.

Thorne: Sleepyhead & Scaredy Cat [DVD]
Thorne: Sleepyhead & Scaredy Cat [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Morrissey

3.0 out of 5 stars puzzled., 21 Jan. 2011
I was also looking forward to the D.V.D. release of Thorne, however I must disagree with earlier reviews. These adaptions are not true to the books. I could state two major deviations from the books, but I will not spoil it for other viewers or readers. Having read the books, I do not remember Thorne and his best mate Hendricks ever having a fight! Just silly little things,like one of the officers changing sex and another changing surnames. The thing that puzzles me, is if a book is deemed good enough to make it on to the screen, then why alter the story and characters? (some of the Rebus adaptions where unrecognisable.) Ok, having said all that, I still enjoyed watching and I thought the actors all did very well. I have given this production three stars in the hope that they will make the rest of the books into films. But PLEASE stick to the Mark Billingham versions.

Lost For Words [VHS] [1999]
Lost For Words [VHS] [1999]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for words - the crime., 29 April 2010
I watched Lost for words on T.V. when it was first shown and thought it was one of the best things I'd seen for a long time. The acting was spot on. The story was in turns very funny then very sad. The CRIME? Why is this not available to buy new, now? Surely the B.B.C. could find it in their hearts to re-release it on D.V.D. Also many fans of this film may not be aware that it is a sequel to another film, which was called "Wide Eyed and Legless" when released by the B.B.C. and now only available only on region 1 D.V.D. renamed "The wedding gift." starring Julie Walters, Jim Broardbent - playing Dric, (the part later taken by Peter Postlethwaite.) And Thora Hird, stealing the show, once again, as his mother. Come on B.B.C. get your act together and give people the chance to see these classic peices of brilliant writing.