Profile for S M-T > Reviews

The Audrey Hepburn 5 Film Collection [DVD] [1961]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 24 Mar. 2013
Even if you have seen the films contained in this selection, they are all so worth seeing again. Audrey Hepburn had a certain 'je ne sais quoi' which is difficult to define, something maybe to do with the expressive eyes, the elfin appeal, the smooth, golden voice or just the freshness with which she took on the various roles. I think my favourite is 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' with 'Sabrina' and 'Roman Holiday' coming a very close behind. These are films you can see over and over again and enjoy each time as much as you did the first time round.

Audrey Hepburn, Elegant Spirit
Audrey Hepburn, Elegant Spirit
by Sean Hepburn Ferrer

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 24 Mar. 2013
Audrey Hepburn was a very different kind of film star from those of her era, and since, and the kind of special person she was, apart from her film roles, makes any book about her one of compelling interest. But 'Elegant Spirit' (which so aptly describes her) which is written by her son makes this very special. We see her from an adoring son's point of view and it confirms all the special things about her. It is beautifully and warmly written and gives a fascinating account of her life as a child, her film career and the wonderful work she undertook for UNICEF. The photographs make a superb contribution to the book and the insight into her life and work show how she became the iconic figure she still is. She was and still is an inspiration.

My Cat Spit Mcgee (Vintage)
My Cat Spit Mcgee (Vintage)
by Willie Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Account, 24 Mar. 2013
This is a must read not only for those who are fascinated by cats but also as a very readable account of a dog-lover's discovery of the mysterious and intriguing nature of the feline species. Willie Morris' books are written in a way that bring you into his thoughts and feelings and I found that the way in which he really wants to understand Spit and the other cats in his book very touching. I bought the book after seeing the film 'My Dog Skip' and I think it would be great if they could make a film of 'My Cat Spit McGee'.

Together
Together
Offered by Revolution Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not quite 5-star for me, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Together (Audio CD)
I'm sure I'm going to be out of sync with most people on this but I was slightly disappointed with this CD. Don't get me wrong, I think Jonathan is extraordinarily gifted and Charlotte sings really well and I play Together a lot. However, having listened to the amazing power of Jonathan's voice and marvelling at his skill on the Utube songs from BGT, I feel that the CD somehow held back the power of his voice, possibly so that Charlotte's voice could be made stronger. The thrill of hearing his surging power on the UTube, therefore, was somewhat suppressed in the CD version. While I can well understand that they want to remain together, I didn't feel I had my fill of Jonathan's wonderful voice. Maybe it would have worked better for me if we could have had at least one song with Jonathan only and I think Charlotte could have held 'Ave Maria' on her own as she has that purity and simplicity of tone and pitch reminiscent of a boy soprano. My other disappointment was with the choice of songs. The need to make it marketable by including Italian versions of well-known English popular hits misfired, for me at any rate, because often the original version is the definitive version and there's always a risk in re-inventing them in this way. I would have preferred further songs like 'Caruso' and 'The Prayer'. Notwithstanding the above, I'm sure they are going to have major success and I wish them all the very best. However, while Charlotte is good, Jonathan is unique and brilliant and I hope, at some point, we will have a CD which includes some solos by him alone and of songs that do justice to a voice that comes along maybe only once in a lifetime.

The Guilty One
The Guilty One
by Lisa Ballantyne

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my kind of book, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Guilty One (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and, thanks to having to be in with workmen in the house, was able to read it in just over a day. It grips you from the start with two stories running parallel but connected. I love a book that describes what you need to know without excessive wordage and this book is spot on in that respect. The characters are well described so that you can truly visualise them. While each story is dealt with in alternate chapters, each story was so gripping that I didn't mind having to leave off the one to continue with the other. Lisa Ballantyne has thoroughly researched the two main topics, the problems with child offenders and the justice system on the one hand and the trial procedure on the other. Being an avid Grisham reader, the content of this book suited me admirably. The ending didn't surprise me because it's been done before. But, nonetheless, it is a great book which I thoroughly recommend to anyone who likes a gripping yarn that keeps the storyline direct without losing any of the emotions, empathy and background necessary to make it a truly satisfying read.

To Rome With Love [DVD] [2012]
To Rome With Love [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Woody Allen
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-have dvd, 7 Oct. 2012
I've just seen this film and it's the best tonic I've had this Autumn. The actors are spot on, the theme is hilarious and very 'Woody Allen'. There are breathtaking views of Rome throughout and you get the wonder of that beautiful city. The various theme sketches were unconnected and each had its own charm and surprises. Woody, as always, was a great character and his wife, Judy Davis, was a perfect complement to him. Alec Baldwin played the best part I've ever seen him in and Penelope Cruz should get an Oscar for her part as the dazzling whore and her command of the Italian language. Yes,it has sub-titles for the Italian parts but this in no way detracts from your enjoyment and makes it all the more authentic. Woody has a dig at the 'celeb' status and Roberto Benigni plays the victim of overnight fame for no good reason and that story is gut-achingly funny. The real-life opera singer, Fabrio Armiliato, is not only brilliant in his part but has a wonderful voice and despite the comedic element of his role, his voice touches you to the core. This is light-hearted comedy at its very best with good music throughout to set the scene. It's soooo Italian and you are totally caught up in the characters and can find it all quite believable. I just didn't want it to end.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars A story with a difference, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
A carefully written account of two people whose lives intertwine over a period of 20 years or more. The reader is on a journal ride over the years, always rooting for these two people to see what, to the reader, is quite obvious from early on, that is, that they should be together. That this is obstructed by either one or the other or just events as they happen is frustrating but that, in itself, is what keeps the reader immersed in their story until the end. Possibly more of a book that will appeal to women more than men.

A Time To Kill
A Time To Kill
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: A Time To Kill (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me as it was one I hadn't read out of all the John Grisham books I own. It was a very meticulous account of how the Court system and jury system work in America while providing gripping reading as the various plots and themes unfolded in the story. John Grisham really knows the legal system backwards and thus provides a solid informative background for the reader. He brings out the contrast between the stubborn racism of the 'rednecks' in the South and the plight of the black people in the face of such prejudice and ignorance. It's a story to make your hackles rise at times with the injustice of the system and I had no idea how it could all end until I reached the last few pages which kept me holding my breath until I finished the book. John Grisham writes with a depth of understanding about what makes people, black and white, tick and the description of the oppressive climate of the region, the town and its people really made you feel you'd been there.

Philips AZ1027/05 Portable CD and Cassette Player with AM/FM Radio - Silver
Philips AZ1027/05 Portable CD and Cassette Player with AM/FM Radio - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-round good buy!, 13 July 2011
I wanted a set that gave good radio, a casette player and tape player and I think this product is brilliant and excellent value for money. It's simple to use and has good sound for all three services. It looks neat and fits nicely in my kitchen. I'm really delighted with it and am thinking of getting a second for another room in the house. It's not easy to find a radio/cd player with a cassette facility and I was so happy to find this one and at such a reasonable price. For all-round listening, you can't do better in my opinion.

The Guitarist's Way - Book 3
The Guitarist's Way - Book 3
by Peter Nuttall

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitarist's Way Book 3, 13 July 2011
A good music book for classical guitarists progressing towards more challenging pieces. The small studies and pices make it ideal for those who need to feel they're progressing and learning new techniques and positions especially if working full-time with only evenings and weekends to practice. The melodies are attractive and the player finds himself looking forward to playing them. A good way to go for people little short of beginners.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4