Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Gojira Fan > Reviews

Content by Gojira Fan

Gojira Fan

Page: 1 | 2
Marie Antoinette
Marie Antoinette

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong date, 8 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Marie Antoinette (Kindle Edition)
Marie Antoinette was not born on the same day as the Lisbon earthquake. The earthquake took place on the 1st November. She was born a day later. It's this small detail that put me off this book when I borrowed it from the library some years ago. I thought is she can get this detail wrong within the first few pages. What else is wrong with the book. So I have never read it. Silly of me I know. But there it is.

It Came From Outer Space [Blu-ray] [1953]
It Came From Outer Space [Blu-ray] [1953]
Dvd ~ Richard Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars 50s Classic Sci-fi, 17 Oct. 2016
Just watched this in 3D for the first time in over thirty years. I first saw it in 3D on a double bill with Creature from the Black Lagoon at a cinema in
Hampstead I think in the early 80s. But I never thought I would ever own a copy. The stereo sound is very good. I heard it with headphones. There are some great extras. A commentary, and a history of Universal Sci-fi films, plus two trailers. I could have done without Barbara Rush screaming at everything, but that is of its time. And i've never seen mentioned why the meteor/spacecraft crashing did not do more damage. It is a huge crater. Surely it would have damaged building for miles around. And there are bushes, small trees etc intact in the vicinity of the crater. Other than that it really is a classic of Sci-fi from the 50s.

Terrahawks: Volume 1 [Blu-ray]
Terrahawks: Volume 1 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Gerry Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 25 July 2016
What a let down this Blu-ray is. There's lots of heavy grain. Ghosting. I thought I was looking at a regular DVD.
Very disappointing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2016 5:13 PM BST

Another Man's Poison [DVD]
Another Man's Poison [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bette Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good print., 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Another Man's Poison [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great quality DVD. I wasn't expecting the quality to be very good. But the black and white photography is amazingly clear and fresh looking. Of course the film is pure melodrama. But the acting is played very well by all. This is a very underrated Bette Davis film and is not mentioned very often in biographies etc, about her. I was very pleased with film, and the superb quality of the presentation.

Jurassic World [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Jurassic World [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have been better if the park had been in a city, 15 Jun. 2015
Could not understand what anyone was saying. Apart from the leading actor. It's okay for youngsters. But it's just more of the same. Would have been better if the park had been in a city....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2015 1:19 PM BST

Majestic Hollywood
Majestic Hollywood
by Mark A. Vieira

5.0 out of 5 stars A great year, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Majestic Hollywood (Paperback)
Just received this wonderful book. Mr Vieira has done an incredible job of showcasing the best films of a great year '1939'. The photos are incredibly clear. For anyone who loves the golden years of Hollywood get this book. I realize what an important year '1939' was in the history of movies. But I hope Mr Vieira comes up with a series of these books.

Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: The Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda
Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: The Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy days, 4 Dec. 2013
I remember a lot of these Japanese films from the late 50s into the early 60s. They were magical. So different from UK or US films. They were complete fantasies. And they have interested me for years. This great book takes me back to those days. It is chock full of information, and worth every penny. The author has done a magnificent job on the history of these films, and studied them well. I highly recommend this book.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea [Blu-ray] [1961]
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea [Blu-ray] [1961]
Dvd ~ Walter Pidgeon
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Great days..., 20 Nov. 2013
When I saw this way back in 1961 (or early 62) I thought it was amazing. I sat through it twice with a friend. I was an innocent 13 year old then. It is still a wonderful movie. But when I see it through my 65 year old eyes I wonder. Why are the icebergs that breaking up and falling past Seaviews window falling straight down like rocks? They should float back up. And why does Seaview shoot out of the water like a bullet during the main titles (it's still a great sequence) but I wouldn't like to be on board as cutlery and bodies fly around. You can also see that the model is in a large tank in some scenes. Why do I only notice this now? Still the best sequence is Seaview entering New York harbour. The Sky is flaming red. The music etc. makes for an iconic image. And I still get a kick out of hearing Frankie Avalon sing the title song.

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death
Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death
by M.C. Beaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Sept. 2013
These books are wonderful. I cannot understand why they have not been picked up for a television series. Brenda Blethyn would fit the bill.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon in Blu-ray 3D [1954] [Region Free]
The Creature from the Black Lagoon in Blu-ray 3D [1954] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Richard Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 13 Aug. 2013
Just received my Panasonic TV yesterday and could not wait to watch the Creature from the Black Lagoon. 3D makes this film come alive again. The black and white photography is just incredible. Modern films are slightly more subtle as presenting 3d. And they look great, don't get me wrong. But these older movies make your eyes pop out. Can't wait for House Of Wax and maybe even It Came From Outer Space. If you can, go out and get a 3D Television and buy Universal's Creature today you'll be amazed.

Page: 1 | 2