Profile for PurpleBoots > Reviews

Content by PurpleBoots
Top Reviewer Ranking: 381

PurpleBoots "“Imagination is more important than knowledge”. Einstein" (Berkshire, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Product Nation A4 Paper Trimmer - Rotary Guillotine - Plastic Base - Lightweight Portable Precision - A5 and A6 - Cutting Guides - Carry Handle (A4)
Offered by Product Nation

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, but works., 23 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The cutter is much lighter than it looks. It ok for occasional use, but I don't think it would withstand daily usage. The cutter glided smoothly through a couple of sheets of paper, but struggled with 8 pieces, so I didn't try 10 pieces as it claims as it was very stiff to operate.

The base on mine is slightly warped, so one of the little feet doesn't quite touch the surface and it wobbles slightly. It doesn't affect the cutting operation, though, but it is just like one of those annoying tables with a slight wobble.

It is made of sturdy plastic and has all the normal paper guides and rulers on the flat face you would expect of a decent cutter. These are helpful. It does its job ok without bells and whistles and will suit my needs of occasional cutting of a few pieces of paper at a time, so I am happy with it.

Scotch 19 mm x 33 m Tape Dispenser - Turquoise
Scotch 19 mm x 33 m Tape Dispenser - Turquoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gadget, easy to operate, 14 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good quality, sturdy tape dispenser. It comes with a 6-pack of its famous Scotch Magic invisible tape, which is, almost invisible! The dispenser is a pleasant shade of turquoise and stands out on the desk. It assembles as simple as pushing the plastic rotator into the centre of the roll of tape and hooking into the body. The cutting edge is sharp and produces a good clean cut of tape. It's not heavy, so I am surprised that It can be operated single-handed, but it can as the tape requires very little effort to pull off the roll. Very handy when wrapping presents and needing one hand to hold paper in place!

Excellent gadget, with the bonus of a 6-pack of tape that will last a long time

Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml
Katy Perry Mad Love Eau de Parfum for Her 50 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars The scent doesn't last long enough., 11 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a bit of a hit or a miss ordering unknown perfume online. This one was a miss. When I first spray the perfume, it smells lovely; it has a strong floral and fruity scent, but the scent only lasts minutes. Once the perfume dried on my skin, the scent had all but gone. It seems to have been made from mostly top notes, with little to no middle or bottom notes, so the ingredients evaporate quickly, leaving hardly any scent behind. Very disappointing.

The bottle looks pleasant, but it's the content that matters and this perfume doesn't meet the grade as a lasting, enjoyable scent.

VicTsing USB External DVD-R Combo CD-RW Drive Burner Writer For Notebook PC Desktop Computer Silver (CD-RW)
Offered by VICTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, small footprint with standard read/write speeds., 8 Aug. 2016
The CD drive on my Mac has malfunctioned, so I was pleased when offered the opportunity to receive this product for free, in return for an honest and impartial review.

The external drive looks great sat next to the Macbook Pro; they are almost the same colour. It is just slightly larger than a CD case and is slim. It is plug & play straight out of the box; the drivers installed in seconds on the Mac and the unit was up and running straight away. One disappointment is the external drive hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 software, so I couldn't test it on my Toshiba Satellite.

It uploaded a CD to iTunes when plugged into the Mac in the same amount of time it took to upload on the internal drive of the Toshiba laptop, so it gets the job done, no fuss.

It comes with an additional USB power source, which is much preferable to an external power source, as yet another plug at the back of the desk is a challenge these days. Running from the USB without the additional power cable made no difference in the quality of CD playback or the time it took to upload a CD, so I assume it is getting sufficient power from the motherboard. I did use the power cable when playing a DVD, though, so I could have a smooth playback.

The external drive is compatible with a good range of CD and DVD formats and comes with standard playback and write speeds expected of a USB 2 device. Many of the drives I have looked at on Amazon to compare this with, don't mention the read/write speeds, but I think these are almost the industry standard now at x24 for reading and x8 for writing.

Overall, it is an excellent device for slightly cheaper than the average price of others sold on Amazon. It does everything it needs to with and without the additional USB power cable; it just doesn't do it on Windows 10 devices.

Carmex Moisture plus Berry duo pack
Carmex Moisture plus Berry duo pack
Offered by KrystalDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant colour, easy to apply but doesn't last long., 8 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing that struck me about the balm was how skinny the tube is. I have only previously used balms that are the thickness of a tube of lipstick. This is not far off the thickness of eyeliner, but, it works!

The benefit of this balm over the others that I use, is the slanted tip. It is easy to apply to the contours of my lips with less chance of going over the edge of the lip. The colour is pleasant, it adds just a hint of colour to my lips, which I like, as I don't normally wear lipstick.

It doesn't last on my lips for long, though, 20 minutes later I feel I need to reapply as my lips feel dry again. If using this as a sun protection, I expect it will need constantly reapplied to maintain the protection. I don't imagine the tube will last long in these circumstances.

I am not used to a lip balm with a tingle, so that was a surprise. Although it did feel nice and cool after the initial tingle, the effect only lasted a couple of minutes.

The product and its small footprint is okay, but I don't see myself buying more of it once it has run out. I will stick with my Nivea balm, even though it's not slanted.

Johnsons 4Fleas Room Flea Fogger Twin Pack with IGR
Johnsons 4Fleas Room Flea Fogger Twin Pack with IGR
Offered by Anything 4 Home

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 31 July 2016
This was a good start in treating the two main rooms in the house, but it wasn't quite enough to reach all placed and kill the all eggs. I needed to get the 4fleas spray can to finish off the job. The 4Fleas brand is excellent, though and works a treat. I have found the fleas have become resistant to other brands such as Bob Martin and others I can't remember the names of.

Great product as part of an overall treatment plan.

Absolute Aromas Bergamot Essential Oil
Absolute Aromas Bergamot Essential Oil

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 31 July 2016
Beautiful scent and good quality oil. I have grown to trust this brand and have several of their oils. The scent is long lasting when added to water in a traditional flame burner.

Silentnight Duck Feather Duvet, Cotton, White, Double, 10.5 tog
Silentnight Duck Feather Duvet, Cotton, White, Double, 10.5 tog

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality lightweight duvet, 31 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally keep my 10.5 tog duvet on from Spring to Autumn and manage fine with only a few nights (when we are lucky) were it is too warm to use. I find this duvet, although lightweight is very warm and snuggly. It is too warm for the current July weather, though, and I have been sweating even on the cooler nights. Perhaps an odd time of the year to put a warm duvet out for product testing!

I was surprised at how slender the box was when it arrived. The duvet had been air flat-packed; all I had to do was lay it on the bed, give it a good shake and it filled out. There were a lot of loose feathers on the outside of it, and a few have managed to find their way through since using it. The duvet material feels nice and the stitching appears to be sturdy.

Although it says it is machine-washable, I would be doubtful about using it in my home washing machine which can only take a wet weight of up to 6kg. I wonder if it means industrial machine-washable.

It's a great duvet, without a doubt; it only drops a star because of the number of loose feathers on the outside of it on arrival and the escapees after a few days of use.

Z-joyee Vintage Hobo Canvas Tote Handbag Satchel Shoulder Bag With Removable Adjustable Strap
Offered by Z-Jowaa

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and good quality with plenty of pockets., 31 July 2016
I received the bag from the seller in order to test it and write an honest review. I chose the colour 'Blue2' which is closer to green/teal than blue, so don't go by the name alone when choosing a colour. The colour of the bag is exactly as shown in the product photos, though, which is why I chose this one; I love teal. The khaki brown straps are a good complementing shade.

The first thing I normally check is the quality of the stitching and zips and this bag passes with flying colours. Most of the stitching is hidden, but where it is visible around the top of the bag, it is neat machine stitching. There are four zips in total; two rugged outer zips and two normal inner pocket zips. All of these are well-stitched and are smooth to operate.

I like the quality of the canvas body; it is thick and sturdy so I expect it will be hard-wearing over time. I have been using it for a few weeks and it hasn't picked up any scuffs or marks. The handles and shoulder strap are made from a heavy-duty canvas and are secure. The handles have been designed so that you have a clutch handle close to the bag or larger handles for wearing on your arm or shoulder - I never noticed this from the product pictures until I played around with the bag. Then, there is the shoulder strap which can turn it into a messenger style bag.

I like the amount of space that is available inside the bag; I can fit a lot more than I normally carry in there! If I fill it, I am going to need to use the shoulder strap to lug it around! Inside there are five pocketed areas; two with zips on built into the lining. The lining is also made from a thick material that is well stitched too. It is a nice chocolate brown that looks great with this shade of teal. The lining isn't stitched into place, though, so is loose and moves around. It can be turned inside out, which is handy for cleaning out the inside, but I find the loose lining moves about a bit too much for my personal liking.

Overall, I am delighted with the bag; I love the colour, style and feel. It is comfortable to wear on my shoulder and the addition of a shoulder strap living in the bottom of the bag for when it's needed means I can pack it full then wear as a messenger bag and still have two hands free to do things.

HoMedics Compact Percussion Heat Massager
HoMedics Compact Percussion Heat Massager

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but would have been better if it produced actual heat., 31 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first experience of using a handheld massager, so didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect the strength of the percussion mechanism! When using it on the high setting on my upper back, it made my teeth chatter! Even on the lower setting, my head was vibrating and it felt quite unpleasant.

It is heavy to hold, and a bit awkward when trying to reach over a shoulder for self-massage. The shape of it is good, though, and has been designed with this in mind. I could only hold it for a few minutes and would never have managed to hold it for up to 15 minutes to get the benefit from it. Also, I couldn't tolerate the effects of the vibration on my head for longer than a minute at a time. I think the device is best used by someone to massage your back, rather than trying to do self-massage.

It was meant to produce heat, which is one of the reasons I was attracted to it. But this is a real let-down. I can feel some hind of heat when touching it with my hand, but there is insufficient heat to penetrate muscle, so there is no soothing effect from it at all. If it had produced some noticeable heat, the review would have had 4 stars.

It has interchangeable heads; two rubber ones for massage only and two plastic ones for heat and massage. I put the rubber ones somewhere safe so I wouldn't lose them, but now I can't find them. It would have helped if it had a storage bag to keep the unit and spare heads together.

It's okay, but would have been better if it produced actual heat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20