Profile for Nick G > Reviews

Matrox D2G-A2D-IF DualHead2Go Digital Edition
Matrox D2G-A2D-IF DualHead2Go Digital Edition
Offered by SEDIVA UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of kit, 13 Jan. 2012
Bought this to replace an HP workstation / Nvidia FX1700 card / HP dual monitor setup with a Toshiba laptop. The Nvidia card was excellent, but cost over £350 on its own, giving me 2 screens, and few complaints.

The product installed rapidly, but I needed to download latest drivers to make it work properly. These were easy to find etc. Desktop setup was initially slightly tricky to understand, but after 15 minutes, it made easy sense and everything worked fine.

I was nervous, having bought a very poor external USB external monitor product before,but once this was running I was amazed at the speed and quality, on all three screens. It runs my HP monitors at their native resolution, and my laptop screen on it's different native resolution with no problem.

I don't use HD video playback, so have no idea if it is any good, the video lead supplied is pretty short and stiff, but other than this, as a low cost way of supporting three monitors, at superb quality, this is excellent.

BTW, it is easy to change desktop setup, and applications can be set to maximise and open in whichever screen you want, as well as dialogue boxes and tooltips etc. so apps don't have to stretch over 2 screens. Some stuff like windows start screens still sit in the middle, despite settings, but most of the time, you won't notice you are using it!!

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for left handers......sticky space bar, wierd layout, 12 Nov. 2011
Bought this as a replacement for the Mocrosoft 5000 wireless I gave up on after a month or two, kept faith with Microsoft, and wished I hadn't.

Primary problem was partially my fault, the mouse is so ergonomic that as a left hander you cannot use it, so that was the first disaster.

Keyboard installed OK with no hassles. The layout is pretty radical, and struggled to use it at all. I think it might be good for a touch typist? I persevered, but things didn't improve much. As my "speeds" improved , I began to experience the problem described by other reviwers, that the space bar was sticky, and very often wouldn't operate "first time".

After a couple of weeks of awkward, clunky, slow and irritating use, I have returned everything. Amazon were very good on the returns.

After two failed MS keyboards, I'm off to another manufacturer.

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 V2 - Keyboard and Mouse
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 V2 - Keyboard and Mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Smashed it and threw away, avoid, 17 July 2011
I bought this keyboard months ago, and found that like many other users, the mouse had a mind of its own. Caps lock is indeed very annoying, being incredibly easy to toggle on without realising. Also the function keys, particularly print screen, which I use a lot are awkwardly located above the big hotkeys, and recessed in a way that makes them never quite come to hand easily.

After endless re-installing of drivers to try to fix the mouse's erratice behaviour, I re installed windows etc. on the computer. This worked, until I added the latest microsoft updates, and a logitech webcam, and the yips came back.

After several frustrating days of trying to get it to work, I lost my temper, smashed it and threw it away. Avoid like the plague, it wasn't much good when it was working......

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Offered by uksoftwareseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office 2010 is a big step forward, 20 Sept. 2010
I run a small consulting business dealing with multi nationals, and need to be on the leading edge of visual presentation, and analysis. Having been a serious critic of Microsoft, even swapping to a mac at one stage, I'm a convert. This new suite allows me to achieve higher levels of finish than 2007, more easily. The ability to mix graphics into documents, including spreadsheets has been strongly improved, with more common functionality. The micro charts in Excel allow you to create dashboards without using external plug ins.

In general the functionality feels more available, particularly in formatting. Setting out pages in Excel is a bit of a pain to begin with, and printing commands take some getting used to.

One real revalation in this release is Outlook, which now has far broader capabilites in terms of maintaining multiple accounts, and connecting to various sources of mail. The other shift between this and office 2003/7 is the improvement in web based collaboration, which I am exploring with my networked colleagues.

The install was a hassle on Vista SP2 and refused to register. The usual torture contacting Microsoft ensued, and eventually they sorted it with a new product key, but it was a pain.

Other than this, I'm really pleased. Very bug free, this appears more stable than 2007 in advanced use. Lots more power, and much prettier, I reccommend it.

Twelve Nights In Hollywood
Twelve Nights In Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute gem, 14 Jun. 2010
Superb, fresh recordings of Ella in her prime. The material is wonderful, having piles of her work in our collection, this was a very worthwhile addition.

RE the packaging, yes, it's a pain, but ours works fine, and arrived in excellent condition. You just need to be patient, and tolerant of diversity in your shelves.

Dark Grey Business or Credit Card Case/Holder
Dark Grey Business or Credit Card Case/Holder
Offered by awesomegiftsonline

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish & practical, 14 Jun. 2010
This works very well, light, good quality, easy to open one handed, and holds plenty of cards. Very pleased.

Toolzone 16Pc AF Combination Spanners In Wallet
Toolzone 16Pc AF Combination Spanners In Wallet
Offered by Henrich Hardware Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid high quality spanners, 30 April 2010
Excellent set of high quality spanners, I bought these for servicing my classic car, and they are very well made & finished, highly accurate & cover the key size range. They are much more substantial than the picture shows. Great value for money.

Panasonic KX-TG8423EM Triple DECT Phone with Colour Screen and Answering Machine - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb phones, easy setup, 23 Dec. 2009
Bought these to replace a prematurely aged pair of phones from another major manufacturer. Incredibly easy to set up, great sound quality, and loads of features.

The ability to easily setup your phone lists & share them between phones is excellent & you can acutally use most of the facilities because the phones are so easy to use. Good answerphone as well.

Excellent buy.

Lexar 8GB JumpDrive Secure II Plus
Lexar 8GB JumpDrive Secure II Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing to set up, but flexible when you have, 23 Dec. 2009
The jump drive was pretty confusing to set up, as it has a concept of secure vaults which are not easy to understand if they are new to you.

I struggled to start with, but a simple mail from the support guys got me started, and the drive has proved easy to use, and offers very powerful, but flexible encryption. You can run multiple secure vaults (folders) which can have the same or different passwords.

This proves to be more useful than you think, when you have to hand the drive to someone else, and don't want to reveal your password to them, as you can keep a private and public secure folder.

Overall I'd reccommend this product, as it is worth the setup in use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3