Profile for Maryann > Reviews

A King's Ransom
A King's Ransom
by Sharon Penman

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it very much, 2 May 2014
This review is from: A King's Ransom (Hardcover)
I have to admit that I started "King's Ransom" with certain hesitation - "Lionheart" didn't arouse my particular enthusiasm (although my opinion about this book significantly improved after second reading"). However, my hesitation turned out to be totally unwarranted. With great relish did I immersed in the story of Richard's imprisonment and his further struggle for restoration of Angevin empire. And - as probably many others - was I surprised at the story of Joanna's second marriage to count of Tolouse. And endeared to - brought up as I was on continuing stories about Raimond's notoriety and grew fond of Joanna during reading of "Lionheart", I confess I was relieved to learn that the bulk of count's bad reputation was simply the result of bias and propaganda.
The only thing I found lacking in this book was scarce appearance of Justin de Quincy.

As the Honourable Author declares, "King's Ransom" is her "farewell to the Angevins". If so - farewell turned out to be big success. But I cannot resist the hope that Mrs Penman - after the fulfilment of currently planned expedition to the Outremer - will come back to Europe and treat us to another exciting story from medieval England. The further story of formidable Edward I and - above all - the story of Edward II, his wife Isabella and sir Roger Mortimer simply just asking for retelling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2014 6:23 AM BST

Isabel - Temporada 1- (Region 2)
Isabel - Temporada 1- (Region 2)
Dvd ~ Michelle Jenner
Offered by DVD STORE SPAIN

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 18 Mar. 2014
I dreamt of seeing this story and cannot wait to find it on DVD. And finally it is... And what? And great disappointment - because the edition lacks English subtitles.
What a incredible lack of flair for marketing......