Profile for Jet Lagged > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Transformed Man
The Transformed Man

5.0 out of 5 stars COMEDIC GENIUS, 23 April 2015
This review is from: The Transformed Man (Audio CD)
This is the triumph of hope over talent. Shatner proves that being unable to sing is no barrier to producing a hit record.

I laughed so much from start to finish on this one - that I almost wet myself. I begged the CD to stop playing. But it wouldn't.

A classic! Who knew Shatner possesed such bizarre comedic genius? If you have never heard his version of Mr. Tambourine Man then you are in for a shock. And who can forget his truly epic mind-boggling "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"? Obviously a man with a vision ... of some kind.

If I may be so bold as to quote from the brilliant review of a previous Amazon reviewer who summed it up nicely with the comment :-
"Try as I might, I can not get away from the fact that William Shatner is absolutely mad."

I would suggest you employ the services of a friendly medical doctor to watch over you when you undergo the Shatner Experience. Most normal people undergo a rather strange reaction to the material here. Some even board a rocket to escape. Was being subjected to this album the catalyst for the invention of the warp drive?

Spaced Out - The Very Best of William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy
Spaced Out - The Very Best of William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAIN ALTERING, 22 April 2015
When I was exposed to Shatner's truly unique version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" I felt the walls congeal, the ground below my feet gave way. Strange psychedelic colours manifested themselves everyhere.

Was this Warp 9 Space? Was it a weird Quantum Mechanical soup that I had stumbled into? What had triggered this entry into a bizarre parallel universe? The song that Shatner was "singing" of course!

This album is beyond funny. Light years beyond in fact. Only a Vulcan could appreciate the crescendo of poetic ambiguity that was unleashed on us unsuspecting humans. This is why Spock is laughing aloud like that on the cover of this opus.

During Shatner's incantation our cat ran out screeching its head off. This makes me suspect that it is all a Klingon plot to destabilse this side of the Galaxy. Cats are like tribbles. They don't like Klingons. I rest my case.

Limitless
Limitless
by Alan Glynn

5.0 out of 5 stars LIMITLESS, 20 April 2015
This review is from: Limitless (Paperback)
Superb book by Dublin author Alan Glynn.

This is the original (with a name change) book of the film. Eddie Spinola in the book, Eddie Morra in the movie.

This book is a real page turner. An absorbing reading experience.

The only downside for me was that I thought the author ran out of road with the ending and was inclined to wrap things up prematurely. The quality of the writing never suffers though. I just felt disappointed that the book ended where it did.

I saw the movie version first. I much prefer the movie ending to the book ending. And the movie rewrites are artfully done.

Reading the book after seeing the film is like speaking to Eddie and getting more of a complete picture of the situation he found himself in. Sure, you will have to allow for the plot differences between the two media. But there is still a great deal of overlap. I think both the film and the movie complement each other nicely, the ending in the book excepted. And I couldn't put this book down. I only wish it had gone on for longer. And a little more care taken with what appears to have been a rushed ending.

Still this is a hugely enjoyable read and that's why I'm giving it 5 well deserved stars.

Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism
Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism
by David Harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars MARXIST MUSINGS, 14 April 2015
This is an unabashed apologia for the Marxist point of view. It should be noted that the author is not an economist. Instead he is a professor of Anthropology.

Despite the book's sensationalist title, featuring "the end of capitalism", the author is at pains to say (see page 11)
"So what I am seeking here is a better understanding of 'capital', not of 'capitalism'.

I found that candid admission a little jarring in view of the aforementioned book title itself.

I find him a bit vague on his 17 contradictions.

Consider "Contradiction 1 - "Use Value and exchange Value" where he talks about our medium of exchange i.e. Money itself.
He says:-

"So let us reflect ...on the nature of this contradiction.... Therefore some independent measure of the value of all commodities on the market - a single metric of value - becomes not only advantageous but necessary. I can then sell any commodity for some general equivalent of value and use that general equivalent to buy whatever I want or need from elsewhere. The general equivalent is, of course, money. But this takes us on to the second contradiction of capital ..."

Hang on a minute. You haven't yet defined what the first contradiction is! If you have defined it elsewhere then, since you are summing up here (see page 24) you should at least recap it again here in its appropriate place when winding up your argument. (To be perfectly honest I don't see the "contradiction" mentioned anywhere explicitly in this chapter either.)

And, btw, Marxism has been preaching the end of Capitalism since the year dot. It hasn't yet happened.

On the plus side, this book should make you consider your assumptions about economics. Harvey is a well read author and he points out injustices where he sees them. But this book strikes me more as a collection of mildly pleasant after-dinner speeches than a hard look at what constitutes economics itself. For that reason I much prefer Steve Keen's recent work on economics and would recommend it to the critical reader. (Debunking Economics - Revised and Expanded Edition: The Naked Emperor Dethroned). Keen was one of the few economists to warn of the impending 2007 crash.

In the Epilogue - "Ideas for Political Praxis" Harvey gives 17 objectives for which we should strive for. Well that's all very laudable. We should strive to cure cancer too. I'm all for it. But this is just the Utopianism or Marxism creeping in again. All very aspirational stuff, but the reality to hand is what we're actually looking at, not what we wish it could be. It would be good to look at economics straight in the eye without the Marxist filter (or indeed a Capitalist filter, for that matter).

Read this book if you want to broaden your view of economics. It is an interesting commentary but with a Marxist slant to it. And, as you've probably guessed by now, the author has a Marxist axe to grind. The Economics comes second.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2015 6:53 PM BST

Head Mask - Rubber Horse Head Brown, fur mane
Head Mask - Rubber Horse Head Brown, fur mane
Offered by accmart

4.0 out of 5 stars SAY MY MANE!, 4 April 2015
The autobiography of a horse named Heisenberg who won the Derby.

It's Never About the Money
It's Never About the Money
by Frank McCarthy

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S CALLED WORK, 31 Mar. 2015
This memoir by Frank McCarthy is not a book for pencil pushers. He is a doer and not some dreamer. He begins his career as a Dublin kid when times were hard.

He writes in the form of his personal business stories. It is a book for would-be entrepreneurs everywhere.

A checklist is provided for those who wish to start their own business. It's hands-on stuff and to the point.

Push yourself hard to achieve your goals. It's called WORK and this should come as no surprise. (If it is then this book is definitely not for you).

Read for motivation when the business going gets tough. Falling down may be inevitable. Your job should be to get back up again, stronger for having fallen and recovered.

False Mother: A McMahon Story
False Mother: A McMahon Story

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT., 30 Mar. 2015
Excellent novella from a new and up-and-coming Irish author.

Brian McMahon finds himself in modern-day Germany and down on his luck. He hears about a mysterious woman from the East who claims to be able to turn people's lives around for the better.

Is she the Real Deal - or are there dark forces lurking behind her? McMahon decides to take the plunge. He goes to meet her.

What happens next is a surprise ...

I found this well written novella to be an absorbing read. 5 Stars all the way.

Animal Rubber O'head Mask. Elephant head
Animal Rubber O'head Mask. Elephant head
Offered by Blyme

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT RECEPTION, 20 Mar. 2015
This is great for picking up weak signals on my mobile phone. The elephant trunk acts as an aerial.

Magical Unicorn Mask Halloween Creepy Adult Unicorn head latex Rubber Mask - Fancy Dress
Offered by YOUTULINDA

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOBILE PHONE RECEPTION., 20 Mar. 2015
This is great for picking up weak signals on my mobile phone. The unicorn head acts as an aerial and you can have the phone conversation in private underneath the mask. Just awesome.

Mercurymall@ White Unicorn Head Mask +Gift 1 pcs Mosquito bracelet
Mercurymall@ White Unicorn Head Mask +Gift 1 pcs Mosquito bracelet
Offered by Mercurymall(shipped from HongKong)

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOBILE PHONE RECEPTION, 20 Mar. 2015