Profile for A. Adamowski > Reviews

Content by A. Adamowski

A. Adamowski

Page: 1 | 2
Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns (PC CD)
Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jun. 2017
An excellent expansion to the core game.

Changes the dynamics and progress of play considerably.

The maps are a big learning curve, but once you "get-it", they're exceptional maps with tons to do.

If you have the core, you need this!

If you like fantasy, RPG MMOs, get this.

Guild Wars 2 - Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Guild Wars 2 - Standard Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 Jun. 2017
An exceptional MMO that is an absolute must have if you like the genre.

Although it lost some of its RPG quality that the devs have so wanted to introduce, it tries very hard & sometimes comes close to achieving it.

Having said that, I've not played a single MMO that has had as many continuous and excellent updates, each one packed with story or explorable areas or new items/collections whatever.

A very great successor to it's predecessor.

Best part is the price - it's not play-to-win in the slightest! There is a market, but you can spend in-game money on items by exchanging them. But the stuff is mostly cosmetic or a cash cow for in-game items. But this in no way impedes your ability to win in the slightest.

The world is stunning, the game play very nice & prospects of more great stuff to come (expansion set for late 2017).

Just get it.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Mar. 2014
So much fun - loved the book & I thought this was better! & that's an unusual thing. Can't recommend enough

Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Offered by ECTrading

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great, 9 Sept. 2013
First thing that strikes you is the beauty of the game, even on lower graphics setting, the detail is wonderful.

The battles are well done compared to TW games like Empire and Napoleon; as far as I can tell, no odd AI behaviour (although I did have some Athenians storm my walls with no way of getting over or through them; they were landing in my harbour at the same time so maybe a distraction? either way, once I beat the guys in the harbour, the guys at the wall kept attacking (I suppose why would they know their colleagues failed?) only to eventually flee).

The naval battles are an improvement to shogun & the dual naval and land battles are so much fun to play; landing troops in the harbour of a city via ships while at the same time storming the gates & walls -- amazing fun! & ramming in naval battles is well done. The naval battles in general are much better; the pace is improved, no waiting for mins on end for ships to reach eachother.

Also, the stances you have available for navies and armies expands versatility, planing and tactics (forced marches, raiding, guarding, patrolling).

The changes to the armies are nice. Much more balanced and realistic, I think. They also help get rid of the hundreds of tiny skirmishes you'd have to auto-resolve in previous titles.

The building trees are good. They make much more sense; why would you still have the same buildings you built in 200BC in 200AD? You wouldn't, they fall down, they burn down, you get rid of them etc. You build new ones as the city expands & you get new tech.

The province changes limit things, which is a shame, but the changes to buildings and the inclusion of culture gives you enough to micro-manage.

Agents/spies/veterans are a great addition to the military aspect of things; lots of variety & fun sabotaging, asassinating, poisoning etc.

I've had no real problems (I once saw a ship go through a building, I've seen a lot worse happen in Rome 1 or Empire) but it's an incredibley playable, well made & thought-out game. As addictive and entertaining as all previous TW titles.

Gets my appreciation.

Parade's End [DVD]
Parade's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Parade's End [DVD] (DVD)
I love the book, but the realisation is poor. For me both the acting was inconsistent and the production shoddy. These in combination made this, for me, a difficult watch. The only reason I continued watching was for the story, which remains wonderful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2013 7:39 AM GMT

Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)
Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 30 Sept. 2012
A really great read, a true page-turner. I honestly counldn't put this down, & I don't often feel like that about fantasy.

The characters were great, the tale fittingly epic and imaginative and an easy-going read which is, nevertheless, exciting.

I only give it 3 stars (I'd give 3.5 if I could) because it was at times a tad too simplistic & predictable.

The ending in particular is heart-breakingly obvious. The issue of who to crown & the "hidden" character is in full view from almost the beginning and that he/she (some vague spoilers follow from here!!) had no hidden agenda, is a real shame.

And I say simplistic because throughout, whenever at the edge of destruction or doom, the 'good guys' always manage to pull through with little or no loss of any kind. I understad that that's what we want overall, but to come out of the end of such an epic struggle with everything perfect and hunky-dorey stretches credulity.

The whole book has a rose-tinted-glasses feel about it which lets down any potential twists and plots.

However, as the author himself says, it is a true 'ripping yarn'; I read in 3 days a book that should have taken me 2 weeks.

Beyond the Veil (The Veil Trilogy Book 1)
Beyond the Veil (The Veil Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, 9 Aug. 2012
A wonderful and captivating book from start to finish. The history/myth/fantasy playground is incredibly evocative, intriguing and unique to the many, many books I've read in this genre. The story is set before a background you can feel is swelling into an epic narrative. A definite must read for any fantasy/sci-fi fan.

A magnificent added bonus; a fascinating lesson in vampire history and lore.

Inheritance (The Inheritance cycle)
Inheritance (The Inheritance cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been 5, 16 Nov. 2011
Waited for this for so long! I wouldn't say that my expectations were particularly high as I wasn't too happy with the third installment (second has, so far, been by far the best in my opinion), but I was still looking forward to it.

The story is wonderful, the writing is ok, the characters are interesting and engaging. I just found myself frustrated with all the FLUFF! that this book was packed with. I absolutely hate skimming, but I have to say, I skimmed a lot. I reached a peaks of frustration when it seemed like whole paragraphs of dicriptions regarding the thoughts and feelings of Eragon were just repeated. The detail is so percise, it leaves nothing to the imagination. Another thing I noticed, that I didn't really pick up on in the other three (I need to go back and re-read them), is that it's bogged down in analogy. 'as green as...' 'as beautiful as...' 'as shimmering as...'

Overall, obviously, I loved reading it just because the story is epic and I loved the series as a whole. It's just a little frustrating as a read on it's own.

Civilization: The Six Ways the West Beat the Rest
Civilization: The Six Ways the West Beat the Rest
by Niall Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 8 July 2011
An interesting read although somewhat focused on the west (it's rise and "fall") while ignoring large chunks of pan-asian and south american historical changes.

However, my main issue is the very little attempt at trying to assess and develop the meaning of civilisation. I understand it's an ephemeral word, its meaning changing depending on the individual, but the meaning has certainly changed today from its 15th century counterpart. There is some mention of the social changes of the early and mid 20th century in the west, but its largely shallow detail focusing around fasion and sexual liberation. Niall then continues to use the same discription for 'up-and-coming civilisations' as he did for 15th century behemoths. I would have prefered had Niall tackled the complex issues faced by all 'civilisations' today, mainly the fact that although some western nations have lagged far behind their asian counterparts, the explosion of media, trade, travel etc has meant that many, if not most or all, of the successes by one nation is dependent on a deep simbiosis with a large number of others globally. Overall, I was dissappointed at the lack of discription concerning the evolution of what it meant to be a civilisation or success story as a nation. For example, he attributes Chinese imperiallism as on of the measures of their success, which while it is important, he ignores any questions concerning 19th, 20th or 21st century social, technological or cultural advances.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 25 Sept. 2010
There are lots of adjectives to encompass the magnitutude of the work, but, for me, it was a frustrating book that sew-sawed continuously and laboriously between building my church, all is good, to not building my church, all is not good - back and forth, back and forth. It should have been an 8th the size that it was. I rushed through it just to see the church finished.

Page: 1 | 2