Profile for Patricia Shepherd > Reviews

Content by Patricia Shepherd

Patricia Shepherd "Trish" (Devon UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Vax V-026RD Rapide Deluxe Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax V-026RD Rapide Deluxe Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value carpet cleaner, 17 April 2012
I have now owned and used this product for one year and can say that it has been substantially tested. I would agree with comments by others about the self assembly required after delivery. The instructions are very poor but with patience it goes together well. The parts all store well on the machine when not in use. I have used this to clean whole rooms and to do small areas after accidents. It is very good at picking up pet hairs and I have used it on rugs just as a 'sweeper' to collect more difficult hairs from rugs. It cleans without too much soaking but it is at its best when used slowly usually 2 or 3 passes over a bad stain is enough to erase. It is a reasonably portable weight when fully loaded and cleans very close to the edge. I agree that it is a little noisy when in use but that is a small price to pay for what is a great value cleaner.

TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods
TeckNet® iEP190 Apple iPod Mobile External Battery Pack For All iPhone/iPods

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent back up, 17 April 2012
Was a little dubious about how this worked or if it would be of value but so glad I now have one. I purchased it for an older iphone which the battery life was decreasing with age and I did not want to invest in a new battery as I was due to upgrade in a couple of months time. This gadget works well and I carry it charged up in my bag all the time even for the new phone I have been caught short and used it. It holds a good charge and for a very long time. Have had it in my bag for a couple of months after charging and it was still strong. A great backup if you are not sure of getting a mains charge for your phone.

Asics Women's Gel Kayano 16 Running Shoe
Asics Women's Gel Kayano 16 Running Shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all rounder, 16 Aug. 2011
I have now owned and used these regularly for over 6 months. First the price I bought them at was very reasonable (£[]) They have been comfortable from the outset, no rubbing and offering good foot support. I have confidence when I use them in the gym and on court. They are good quality and wearing well. Would recommend as a good all rounder.

Crawl
Crawl
by John McCormick

5.0 out of 5 stars Crawl - a thought provoking read, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Crawl (Paperback)
This is a story of a group of friends who finally move on from lack of responsibilities and maturity into adulthood with all of its accoutrements, or in other words grow up. It shows that ever repeating fact of life that nothing can stay the same or even that it should. The reference to `love rearing its ugly head' and being the cause of the change in this group of friends is actually shown to be only one of many reasons why we change and move on. This passage or journey occurs to all of us or most in life. As we form relationships with others we all move on, some with more speed and enthusiasm than others in life. There are many subtexts in this novel but the main ones that I was provoked to think about were as follows:

There is the background of the period that it is set in, 70's and 80's Northern Ireland. Any being would be ingrained by their birth occurring, living and being educated in or just existing in this period and place. The author at first introduces it as the start location for this group of friends, as somewhere they all grew up, hinting in his style to you that it doesn't really have an affect on this story or the characters. But as the novel progresses it portrays how you cannot ever separate yourself from the cause and effect of ones environment, especially in your early years, even if you move away you cannot escape.

Most importantly when you have lived in a specific period of history and environment such as, the too shortly described, `troubles', you cannot evade its affect on your personal character as you are evolving into an adult. Even if you don't blatantly make a personal choice, you have to be identified as being on one side or the other. As sure as being a part of your DNA it cannot be changed. It is only the volume of voice that you give to it that indicates how much outwardly you choose to wear your `colours' as being on one or the other side. In others who don't want to have to identify they have the added baggage of feeling that they have to deny or conceal these colours.

Another recognizable subtext is that of the author using this novel as a platform to vent or exorcise his thoughts and opinions on the subject of religions especially through the character of `Tone'. He wrestles from one opinion towards another by playing `Tone' into various religious themed conversations or challenges. This was thought provoking.

The style of writing is beautiful and it draws you along gently into hard subjects. The underlying story of the Christmas pub crawl is actually just a vehicle or `bus' that then carries you in and out of each of the main characters lives so that you learn more of each one and how they have evolved into who they are at the time of this reunion. By the end you understand where they are and where they are going to get off.

I truly hope that this author continues to pen more and share his thought provoking style of writing with us readers.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great day long sun protector, 14 Aug. 2010
I have tried many products of this type in various heats. This is an excellent protector. Applied in morning lasts day long, no burning just deepens the tan in 30C. Slight perfume when applied which disappears after about five minutes. Feels moisturising when applied. Have not tested when swimming yet.

Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France
Tout Sweet: Hanging Up my High Heels for a New Life in France
by Karen Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 29 May 2010
Very amusing account of a 'change of life and pace'. Loved the style of writing. Could visualise all the characters and found it difficult to put down until finished. Lovely insight to changing from the fast lane - trivial world of fashion to real life in a rural French village. Loved it!

Miracle-Gro Patch Magic Grass Seed, Feed And Coir, 3.6kg Bag
Miracle-Gro Patch Magic Grass Seed, Feed And Coir, 3.6kg Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle gro Patch Magic great product, 29 May 2010
I have used other types of seed to repair patches on the lawn but this has proved the most efficient. Growth has been rapid in 10 days good quality grass has taken root and is growing well. Very easy to apply and with regular watering good results achieved. Surrounding grass has also benefited with rich green colour.

Collins Gem Portuguese Phrase Finder
Collins Gem Portuguese Phrase Finder
by C. Smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Portuguese phrase book, 29 May 2010
Compact for the pocket or handbag but has essential phrases to get you by daily.

Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L weathertite Gunsmoke K160GNS151 7 UK
Karrimor Women's Mount Mid L weathertite Gunsmoke K160GNS151 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light weight walking boots, 13 April 2010
After over 10 years I had to replace my old walking boots. I hate buying new boots and 'breaking' them in. I am now thinking why did I leave it so long? Not only were these good value reduced to just £30 but they are fantastic to wear. I found them a bit 'clumpy' to look at but put them on and you hardly notice as they are so light. I have now worn them walking long distance over various terrains including loose stone, rock and through marshy mud and they do the job. No leaks and good grip. Most importantly being very prone to blisters I have not had one! I have read previous reviews on sizing and personally think they are on the larger size but I bought my normal size and when required wear with thicker socks. Highly recommended.

Morphy Richards Cafe Mattino 47070 Programmable Filter Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value coffee maker, 10 Mar. 2010
This is my second one. With the first, I clumsily broke the glass jug. As I really liked the model I looked for a replacement jug but it was just as cheap to buy a whole new one! The jug on the later model is a little more sturdy. I have not experienced the alleged strange taste problems other users have reported but made sure I 'flushed' it through twice before brewing the first lot of coffee. It speedily brews a good quantity of coffee for at least 4 with top ups and keeps it hot. Overall the price was very good and delivery was extremely fast.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2011 8:27 AM BST