Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "OurManInBerko" (Berkhamsted, Herts, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Mens 1 Pair Laulax High Qualtity Combed Cotton Suit Black Socks, UK 9 - 11 / Europe 43 - 46
Offered by LaulaxDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars One month on... comfortable, good sizing, good price (and don't worry about the logo), 3 Nov. 2013
Good quality socks that fit extremely well and comfortably. Although it's not clear from the photo, these are calf length socks, so the elasticated top comes just below the knee and above the calf. The elastication is snug without being restrictive. The "Laulax" logo is also far enough up the sock that it won't show when worn with trousers.

I ended up buying three pairs in blue and three in black. Highly recommended.

Master Getting Things Done the David Allen Way with Evernote: Your 7-Day GTD Immediate Action Plan [2013 Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars GTD + Evernote = Nirvana?, 3 Nov. 2013
Good book which explains the best way to combine GTD with Evernote to further increase personal productivity.

PLUS POINTS: short, hence a quick and easy read; easy to apply; easily searchable on Kindle or other e-reader
DOWNSIDE: the book does give overviews of both GTD and Evernote, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement the practices in the book unless you have some prior experience of both GTD and Evernote

Recommended both for Evernote users looking to refine their personal productivity and GTD practitioners looking to move towards an electronic implementation (instead of paper based)

Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder - White
Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly noisy - no use for the bedroom, 24 Aug. 2013
I owned an earlier model of the Time Tutelary watch winder. After over ten years of continuous use it finally gave up. So I bought this one to replace it. I was sceptical as soon as I opened the package as there is no branding on the item or the packaging.

I mounted my watch in the cradle, plugged in the adaptor and switched on the winder. It works fine, with both clockwise and anti clockwise operation. But it makes a dreadful grinding racket. Enough to wake me up when it goes off every four hours in the night.

Very disappointing. Possibly acceptable for someone who keeps their watch somewhere else in their house.

So why bother giving it two stars? It looks better than its utilitarian predecessor and still does the job of keeping the watch wound, but really it's not up to scratch (or any decent value for money).

Pestbye Advanced Dog Barkbuster Bark Stopper for Indoor or Outdoor Use To Stop Dogs Barking - Antibark
Offered by Primrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Miraculous! (And eight hours unbroken sleep), 4 Aug. 2013
Having adopted a rescue dog a month ago, we hadn't had an unbroken night's sleep since. Until we bought the Barkbuster!

Charlie, our new Jack Russell, would bark from whenever we put him to bed in the kitchen until about three or four in the morning, when it started to get light. We followed all the advice we could find about dealing with root causes and separation anxiety, but without luck. In the meantime Charlie has scratched paint and nearly chewed his way through a stairgate!

In desperation at 2.30am one night I ordered the Barkbuster from Amazon, not even really expecting.it to work. When it arrived I put in the batteries and waited until bedtime. When the time came, and with plenty of scepticism, I switched it on and put Charlie to bed.

As usual for the first ten minutes after I closed the kitchen door, he was quiet. But as I turned off the bedside light upstairs his barking started. But almost instantly he paused. When he started again his barking was more hesitant -- and quieter. This went on for about half an hour before he finally stopped. And we got eight hours unbroken sleep!

LIKES : easy set up, totally silent to my ear. DISLIKES : none. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Food for Free
Food for Free

5.0 out of 5 stars The *definitive* book for beginning foraging in the UK, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Food for Free (Kindle Edition)
I first bought Food for Free as a paperback about forty years ago. At that time it was to help distract our kids on walks. (And incidentally, it remains brilliant for that. Except that the "kids" in question are now our grandchiildren!) It's clear, concise and not at all stuffy or condescending--so it's perfect for somebody who's thinking of, or just beginning, foraging. Also, it's clearly based on UK flora and fungi, so it's ideally suited for the UK forager.

This time round I bought the Kindle edition. (I still have the dog-eared original, though!) This makes it even more useful, because it's completely searchable. So, for example, if you find something with "arrow-shaped leaves", it's easier to work out whether it's sorrel, or bindweed.

If there was a Desert Island Books show, like Desert Island Discs, this would definitely be a book I'd want with me.

Happy foraging!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Still warm 24 hours later, 21 Mar. 2013
Because of the recent weather I had virtually given up on working outside. So jobs have been piling up neatly and I realised I needed some incentive to get out there before I get overwhelmed.

I bought the Zippo Handwarmer after it popped up in my Recommended For You list.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday. I used the fuel filler supplied to fill the handwarmer with two "cupfuls" of Zippo lighter fuel as recommended in the instructions for the first filling. I didn't manage to light the catalytic burner first time. To be honest you need something like a cigarette lighter with a flame that you can sustain for at least a couple of minutes in order to get it going. But once it lit, it remained warm all day. Even now, 24 hours later, when I picked it up I was surprised that there was still some residual warmth.

Normal filling is only one "cupful", so I don't expect the 24 hour effect each time. But it's well worth the price and the effort of getting it lit that first go.

Now, please excuse me while I go outside and get on with my chores...

Brand New. Durable Filefix Self Adhesive Filing Strips Multipunched A5 145x25mm Ref 8062 [Pack 25]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for organising instruction manuals, brochures, etc, 15 Mar. 2013
I struggle to keep organised. And having piles of pamphlets, instruction manuals and so on doesn't help. They won't stay on a bookshelf. So they take up space in a drawer and you still can't find them. Or you punch them and put them in a ring binder ...where they tear, or you find that you've punched a key bit of information that makes them useless.

So buy these! Stick them to the back of your pamphlet and put them in the ring binder without damaging the original. As well as for instruction manuals we use them to organise flyers for local activities in our self catering holiday cottage.

Buy the A4 ones and you can cut them in half for smaller booklets. 5* purchase!

New Balance Men's MT00CO Orange/Black Trainer 10 UK, 44.5 EU, 10.5 US D
New Balance Men's MT00CO Orange/Black Trainer 10 UK, 44.5 EU, 10.5 US D

5.0 out of 5 stars Like running in slippers, 3 Feb. 2013
This is my first pair of minimal/barefoot trainers. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Don't be put off by the rather pale and unattractive picture. In reality the colours are far more vibrant. Anybody thinking of buying barefoot trainers will already know the risks, so I'll spare you the details about taking care when you first start. Safe to say that I covered over 100 miles in them in the first month and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Ironically, they are possibly the cheapest pair of running shoes that I've bought in the last five years (at least five pairs in that time) and they live up to the usual New Balance standards of sizing, comfort and fit. Highly recommended if you're thinking of this sort of shoe.

Crust: From Sourdough, Spelt and Rye Bread to Ciabatta, Bagels and Brioche (with DVD)
by Richard Bertinet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bread (and a minor irritation), 3 Feb. 2013
I've got both "Dough" and now "Crust" by Richard Bertinet. Both are excellent books. They include DVDs in which Bertinet demonstrates his "kneading" technique. Using these recipes I've been able to bake lighter and crustier bread than with the ones I'd used before.

So why only 4 stars and not 5? Some of the quantities that Bertinet uses are almost commercial. For example, the recipe for fermented dough baguettes makes 12 baguettes. To be fair, he includes instructions for part-baking and freezing, so any surplus beyond your immediate needs can be stored, And of course, it is possible to cut the quantities of ingredients to make a smaller batch of dough. I just feel that this defeats the object of baking bread myself, which is to have it fresh.

Which brings me on to another point of (minor) irritation. For the same recipe as above, Bertinet gives you quantities for making 600g fermented dough, when the recipe only calls for 400g. Go figure!

So, on balance, a great book for baking, but it could be more practical for the domestic baker.

Scrabble Board Game
Scrabble Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic boardgame, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Scrabble Board Game (Toy)
Our last Scrabble game was bought about 25 years ago. We've bought another one for our self-catering holiday cottage. Such a classic for sitting by the woodburner on an autumn or winter evening after a walk in the countryside and a good meal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6