Profile for Mrs Penny Busby > Reviews

Content by Mrs Penny Busby

Mrs Penny Busby

Starting Your Own Gardening Business: An Insider Guide to setting yourself up as a professional gardener
by Paul Power

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book!, 3 May 2012
Eight years ago I was desperate to find a new career - one that would be rewarding and give me real job satisfaction.

My husband suggested gardening since I was a very keen gardener already and he thought there would be a demand for my skills. I wasn't sure that I had what it takes to be a professional gardener, but then I came across this book.

I found this book to be very motivational, in a very practical way. It helps you to consider the pros and cons of starting a gardening business, your skills and aptitudes, whether you have the right type of personality to be your own boss; different types of gardening businesses from gardening rounds to plant nurseries; practical areas such as market research, business planning, advertising, insurance and book-keeping; competition and seasonal opportunities. Literally, the book covered everything I needed to know.

Once I'd finished reading it, I felt sure that I could start my own gardening business and I have been enjoying my job ever since.

Kala Makala Beginners Childrens Soprano Ukulele Blue
Kala Makala Beginners Childrens Soprano Ukulele Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Beginners' Ukulele for the Price, 3 May 2012
I bought this for my young daughter as her first ukulele and it has been ideal as such.

It's much better than many ukuleles marketed at children: it has a pleasant tone, looks the part and, very importantly, is easy to tune (I use a digital tuner) and stays in tune well.

The ukulele is a brilliant instrument (I play one myself) - it's easy to learn the basics (but there is plenty of scope for more fancy techniques and playing), it's portable, sounds good and is FUN!

Binatone Big Button Speakeasy 200 Mobile Sim Free Phone with Talking Numbers and Panic Button

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Product that no longer works., 3 May 2012
I purchased this mobile phone(from Argos) for an elderly relative.

It was relatively easy to use with big buttons (helpful for people with arthritic hands) and initially seemed to be a good purchase.

However, after a few months the phone would no longer charge up fully. After a while it would only reach "half charged" and that would run out after a few hours, whether used or just switched on.

Not knowing whether the problem lay with the battery or the charger I tried finding out directly from Binatone. Their website is very poor, considering it is supposed to be a technology-based company (check out the online User Guides and FAQ's - there are none). I tried emailing, but got no response.

Finally I telephoned Binatone and was told that it could be either.If the charger was faulty I would have to send it back to Argos (so we would be without a phone); if I thought the battery was faulty I would have to send it to Binatone for them to test (so we would be without a phone). I decided just to buy a new battery (only available directly from Binatone at £10 each).

A further few months down the line and the phone no longer charges at all. Maybe the charger was faulty and not the battery, but the poor after-sales service sealed it for me - I will not purchase anything from Binatone again.

Easy Gardening: Recipes for Successful Planting
Easy Gardening: Recipes for Successful Planting
by Miranda Beaufort

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Colour Schemes, 3 May 2012
I bought this book two or three years ago and I still regularly browse through it for inspiration.

It is primarily a design book (describing how to put together planting schemes), but with plenty of information on the individual plants and their cultivation, how to extend the season of interest with additional planting and the general maintenance of the planting schemes.

There are approximately 40 planting recipes for different locations within the garden; e.g. A Sunny Island Bed: Maroon, Pale Yellow and Cream, A Shady Bed against a Wall: Green, Purple and White. I absolutely love many of these colour combinations and the photographs display some truly beautiful plants.

The careful selection of plants, including their flower and foliage colours, can transform an ordinary garden into an exceptional one. This book has certainly helped me to improve my own garden and I would recommend it to others.

Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album by a Much Underrated Musician, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Lapalco (Audio CD)
With so much bland music played on the radio these days, produced as a mere commodity by people only interested in money and celebrity; it is wonderful to discover artists such as Brendan Benson, who take pride in their craft and release music with real heart and soul.

"Lapalco" is perhaps his finest work to date, with such gems of pop/rock as "Tiny Spark", "Metarie" (such a sad song about rejection)and "Folk Singer".

Great songs, strong melodies and plenty of guitars, matched by fine production:this is a superb album. It's a mystery to me why Brendan Benson isn't a star, other than he seems a self-deprecating sort of a person, not someone with the big ego than seems to be a prerequisite for success in the music business.

If you like this, check out his latest offering, "What Kind of World": another excellent album.

What Kind Of World
What Kind Of World

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Musical Gem from Mr Benson, 23 April 2012
This review is from: What Kind Of World (Audio CD)
It's a mystery to me why Brendan Benson is not better known and more commercially successful. He has been creating great music since the late nineties, but despite critical acclaim he never seems to quite breakthrough to the "mainstream".

I first discovered his work through The Raconteurs, a band that he co-fronted with Jack White. Although all the song-writing credits were given to "Benson/White" and the vocals and guitars were shared equally between the two, the media and general public focussed on Jack at Brendan's expense, clearly not appreciating his input into that band.

Anyway, back to this latest offering: it's a great album from start to finish. After the slightly disappointing "My Old, Familiar Friend" from 2009, Brendan is back to what he does best: writing, singing, playing and self-producing 70's-infused, guitar-based rock/pop songs.

And the songs are the key. He knows how to write great songs with catchy melodies that after 2 or 3 listens become embeddded in your subconciousness (like Paul McCartney at his best), ready to pop out again at any moment.

"What Kind of World" is a perfect opener with the lines "You take me apart before I can start", "so looked over, so under-rated", he seems to be wondering about the injustices of being passed over by the music business.

"Bad for Me" has a delicate piano opening and soaring choruses, and lyrics about a propensity to enter into bad relationships.

"Light of Day" seems to be a vampire song, but I'm sure I hear a bass line from a much earlier song "Left and Right" in there.

"Pretty Baby" features vocals from the country singer, Ashley Monroe. Brendan's and Ashley's voices a beautifully matched on this atmospheric tale of a girlfriend on the run from the law with deadly consequences - "Got a hole in my head 'cause of you".

"Here in the Deadlights" started as a Raconteurs' song and Jack White has stated he doesn't know why it never made it onto "Consolers of the Lonely" or even as a Raconteurs' single release. Very rocky.

"No One Else but You" starts off sounding like it's set in Hawaii and then turns into a Wings-type piece. A feel-good tune.

Every song is enjoyable, the singing and playing perfect and the production spot-on.

If you're wondering whether good music is still being created - the answer is "Yes". Just treat yourself to this album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2012 3:09 PM BST