Profile for Toads > Reviews

Content by Toads

Toads

Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor/Monitoring Test/Testing Kit+Strips+Lancets+Case - in mmol/L
Offered by Home Health (UK) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Same reading +/- 0.1 mmol as other brand, 3 Jan. 2014
I'm type II, the doctors do not prescribe the test strips in my area so I have to buy my own.
I have not used the lancet system in it yet as I've got lots of the other type still left.

I've been using this system alongside the aviva accu-check system, they were closely matched on 3 separate days within 0.1 mmol of each other.
I'm going to switch to this system as it's 1/3 the price for the same thing.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Bars - Chocolate Orange, 60 g, Box of 12
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Bars - Chocolate Orange, 60 g, Box of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Vitamin content, 26 April 2011
To go along with the other post... about cals/fat/cla...
For those who are food nerds, here's some more info...

They don't print this stuff on the packet but I asked and this is what maximuscle replied with
So these figures should be correct but I'm only human (except in the mornings according to popular opinion!)

The brackets are the percent one bar gives in terms of RDI/RDA (NB the RDAs change every 5 years)
Vitamin A = 500.0 IU (10%)
Folate = 124 ug (31%)
B1 (Thiamine) = 0.4mg (25%)
B2 (Riboflavin) = 0.5mg (27%)
B3 (Niacin) = 5.4mg (27%)
B5 (Panthothenic acid) = 0.8mg (8%)
B6 (Pyridoxine) = 0.4ug (7%)
B12 (Cyanocobalamin) = 0.4ug (7%)
Vitamin C = 14.2mg (24%)
Vitamin D = 68.0 IU (17%)
Vitamin E = 4.8 mg (24%)
Vitamin K = 0.0 ug (0% :P)

Calcium 270 mg (27%)
Copper 0.4 mg (23%)
Iron 2.9 mg (16%)
Magnesium 50.0 mg (13%)
Manganese 0.4 mg (18%)
Phosphorus 250.0 mg (25%)
Potassium 1200.0 mg (34%)
Selenium 17.0 ug (24%)
Sodium 180 mg (8%)
Zinc 4.0 mg (27%)

Now what's really weird is they give a warning about the manganese and phosphorus intake, yet from the values above they should be fine, probably miscopied the units or something, I've had no problems but everyone is different. Though I suspect the caffeine content would send some people up the walls 125mg is about 1.5L of cokes worth and that's per bar.

I do know maltitol (The sugar substitute) can cause me stomach cramping, so if your trying for the first time, eat one and see if you get stomach cramping. Saying that I've had no problems with these bars, but I normally only eat one a day when exercising and if eating two, I space them out quite a bit, and I watch for other stuff containing maltitol for example chewing gum. I recommend that you have a drink with them, to take it longer to digest.

I use these bars as Lunch/pre-exercise (choc/orange are the best) and I find they keep me going for about 3-4 hours before I get hungry again.

Anyways I'd recommend these bars for anyone looking for that quick fix around lunchtime/pre gym to curb the pangs of hunger. Are they the panacea of weight loss, nah, they work for me because they are less calories than a normal lunch or even a mars/snickers bar, and they are handy to have around just in case you rush out the door in the morning and forget to bring lunch :)