Profile for PJ > Reviews

Content by PJ

PJ (USA)

Develop Your NLP Skills (2nd edition)
Develop Your NLP Skills (2nd edition)
by Andrew Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely effective account of NLP, 6 Feb. 2006
I couldn't agree more with the last reviewer.
Like most "businessman" I'm not just "in business", I'm also very "busy". So when I read a business book, which I don't get to do as often as I'd like, it had better tell its story as briefly and clearly as possible. And this book does.
Some of my colleagues have recommended other books on NLP in the past, including those mentioned by Mr Smith, but to be perfectly blunt the prospect of having to go through several hundred pages just to get a basic understanding of the subject really didn't hold much appeal.
What this book did was give me some concrete descriptions of what I take to be key elements of NLP simply and clearly, without being patronising, and briefly without being shallow. And when I say concrete I mean that the descriptions are brought together in the second part of the book showing how they can be used in typical business situations such as appraisals, sales calls, meetings and such like.
I found it particularly helpful that the descriptions in the first part of the book are accompanied by easy to follow exercises, most on which can be carried out on your own, so that you can see how the ideas work in practice.
After reading this book I feel ready to tackle some of those more heavyweight tomes I've heard about, and I can heartily recommend "DYNS", as I call it, to anyone wanting to understand how NLP can help you to achieve your business goals.

Killer Presentations: Power the Imagination to Visualise Your Point with PowerPoint
by Nicholas B. Oulton

5.0 out of 5 stars Can anything good come out of PowerPoint? Yes!, 27 Jan. 2006
So I'm wondering, what did the last reviewer think was such a turn-off about "Killer Presentations"?
My own experience was that this is one of the most innovative books I've read in quite a time, and an absolute "must read" for all of us who are bound to use PowerPoint as our primary tool for producing presentation graphics. In fact, after reading this book I actually felt extremely positive about the opportunities offered by PowerPoint - as described, and copiously illustrated, by Nick Oulton.
Just one qualification - this isn't an all-round book on presentations. It's about producing effective presentation graphics using PowerPoint (What? How? and Why?) and not much else. Which is hardly surprising when you think the book is only 169 pages long, including a 10 page glossary.
So what makes it so special, and justifies the relatively high cover price?
In short, it presents us with two very powerful concepts (the book features 9 "killer ideas") -
1. Positive audience interaction is as near to being a guarantee of a successful presentation as you can reasonably hope to get.
2. It is possible to produce genuinely engaging, interactive presentations using PowerPoint
For some readers, this may seem like pure commonsense. Unfortunately, however, it isn't what happens in most real life presentations - hence the frequent airing of the phrase: "Death by PowerPoint".
If you are ready to take a major step up in the way you think about your presentations, and in the way you produce your graphics, this is unquestionably the book for you.
Having said that, if you are wanting to develop your presenting skills in general I would recommend Andrew Bradbury's book "Successful Presentation Skills" (ISBN 0-7494-3259-4) as an excellent COMPANION to "Killer Presentations", because it covers just about everything you'll ever need to know about the various aspects of presenting - from soup to coffee and liqueurs, so to speak.
Get these two books, apply what you learn, and I reckon you'll be well on your way to being a consistently successful presenter.
(It worked for me!)

Effective Presentation Skills (Kogan Page better management skills)
Effective Presentation Skills (Kogan Page better management skills)
by Steve Mandel

1.0 out of 5 stars Update 2004, 22 May 2004
This may have been 'state of the art' when it was first published, but that's over fifteen years ago, and now this looks like a very small book, with very average contents, for a comparatively big price.
For example, from the same publisher, and cheaper (including the Amazon discount), I got "Successful Presentation Skills" which is approximately twice the size (about 140 pages?) and gives a far more detailed yet wide-ranging explanation of the process of developing and delivering a presentation.

Fish!: A remarkable way to boost morale and improve results
Fish!: A remarkable way to boost morale and improve results
by Stephen C. Lundin

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter than the average book, 5 Dec. 2003
This is one of those storytelling books in which the idea is for the reader to learn some really useful stuff without getting hung up on the learning because they are so engrossed in the story.
And it sure does work.
Everyone who has read "Fish!" knows the lessons the book is teaching at the conscious level, because they are written down in black and white.
What no one has commented on in a review, so far as I can see, is that the story is an incredibly succinct introduction to the whole subject of emotional intelligence - recognising your own emotions and other people's, motivation, leadership, you name it and it's in there.
In my opinion this is nothing short of a masterpiece.
Get it and judge for yourself that I'm right.

Successful Presentation Skills (2nd Edition)
Successful Presentation Skills (2nd Edition)
by Andrew Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning and for reference, 20 May 2002
I've never been to one of Mr Bradbury's presentations, but I agree that he certainly seems to know his business as far as this book is concerned.
This book makes a really good guide on how to give an effective presentation. The author provides an excellent mix of information about a variety of topics, from designing graphics (charts, graphs and so on), setting up the presentation room, tips on how to deliver your message clearly and how to structure the content of a presentation.
I have been to several seminars on giving good presentations, but they never really seemed to have the information I really needed. This book covers everything from preparing your "script" (in whatever way suits you best), all the way through to the 'Question & Answer' session at the end of a presentation. The chapters are fairly short and concise, so you don't have to read pages and pages of waffle to get at the core information.
I have found this book great to learn from and now days I go back to it for a quick refresher every time I start work on a new presentation.