Profile for mandalalinda > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SuperTed and the Pearl Fishers
SuperTed and the Pearl Fishers
by Mike Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia got the better of me and I ordered this book, 15 May 2017
I have been a fan of SuperTed since my son was three and he made me copy and sketch the illustrations so he could colour them in. Nostalgia got the better of me and I ordered this book. SuperTed, you and Spotty Man are just what we need in 2017!!!

People & Permaculture
People & Permaculture
by Looby Macnamara

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, LIFE CHANGING, 15 May 2017
This review is from: People & Permaculture (Paperback)
I am still working my way through People and Permaculture - but I love it - its design, its stimulating layout with exercises, new concepts for me to consider - I am being educated in a new field. The applicability to every aspect of life is what allures me. I am planning on taking a 4 week evening course because this book has inspired me so much.

Rosegarden and Labyrinth: Study in Art Education: `
Rosegarden and Labyrinth: Study in Art Education: `
by Seonaid Mairi Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars It is of its time and I recommend it because it is a one off of the ..., 15 May 2017
I decided to buy Seonaid's book because my Father had saved her obituary for me to read just before he died. I was curious to discover why this was considered a classic of its time and in the field. I found the first part enthralling - experimental working with clay. But there were later sections on mythology with many classical references that I found unreadable and had to skip. The trip to the coal mine was also interesting. There are some very old fashioned views about pupils, teachers in training which today would be considered offensive labelling today. It is of its time and I recommend it because it is a one off of the period and probably still has a lot to tell us about ourselves as artists.

Heart's Note : Sounding Love in Your Life from Your Heart's Secret Chamber
Heart's Note : Sounding Love in Your Life from Your Heart's Secret Chamber
by Stewart Pearce

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK TO TREASURE, 15 May 2017
If you are on a quest to heal your heart, to open to the possibility of your heart singing with joy, I can highly recommend this book. Stewart is a Master in the field, gifted in guiding you lovingly on the path to the mysteries of the heart. A book to treasure.

The Lighthouse of Alexandria: The History and Legacy of an Ancient Wonder of the World
by Charles River Editors

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a nicely compiled book - but still can't give definitive answers ..., 15 May 2017
It is a nicely compiled book - but still can't give definitive answers on the history and use of the Lighthouse of Alexandria. It didn't tell me much more than I could find on the Internet - it is all brought together in one very slim volume.

Ukraine Diaries
Ukraine Diaries
by Andrey Kurkov

2.0 out of 5 stars TRANSLATION NOT THE BEST, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Ukraine Diaries (Paperback)
I could not get to grips with reading this book at all. There was something inauthentic about the Voice for me. I knew it was a translation so I checked it out on Google. As Kurkov writes in Russian, this must be a translation of a translation. This edition is translated from the French. I also read that it was hurried to press in view of its topicality. It lacks authenticity for me. It may well be that in the Russian, this is a good read. However, I would not recommend it.

Land Of Gold
Land Of Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING WORK OF ART, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Land Of Gold (Audio CD)
I love this CD more with every listen. And more than that, I love dancing to it. It is stimulating, inspiring - a work of art. Eclectic and vast, it delves into the source of its inspiration and makes you feel and engage with its heart. This music is bold.

Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future
Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future
by Svetlana Aleksievich

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK FOR HUMANITY, 19 Jun. 2016
Chernobyl Prayer landed in my lap seemingly by accident. I was meant to be reading another book, but here it was - a book so powerful, moving and relentlessly honest. Page after page drew me deeper into the Chernobyl experience, the Chernobyl life and death. Be prepared to be faced with the truth of humanity - courage, deep abiding love, anger, despair, poignancy and more. This is a wide ranging book, drawing on testimony from many who have been part of Chernobyl, from all walks of life and all ages.

Take quiet time with these pages and let their message seep deep into your consciousness and unconsciousness.

Kazuo Ohno's World: From Without and Within
Kazuo Ohno's World: From Without and Within
by Yoshito Ohno

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ARE FASCINATED BY BUTOH, 19 Jun. 2016
If you are fascinated by the world of Butoh and want to delve deeper, I highly recommend this book. It is quite special. Through the words and especially the images, you will feel your way into Butoh. It is a book to treasure, both an autobiography (of sorts), a collation of wisdom words, from Kazuo's workshops and the photographs which speak volumes and bring this magnificent book alive.

The Sorrow Of War
The Sorrow Of War
by Bảo Ninh

5.0 out of 5 stars HAUNTING, MEMORABLE, DISTURBING, 16 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Sorrow Of War (Paperback)
It took me a while to get into this novel and I was initially frustrated, but then it was like a door opening in my mind and heart. Its structure reflects the way the horror and memory of War replays in the mind of the soldier. I learned so much about the Vietnam War - it brought me very close the people and the country. I highly recommend this classic novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3