Profile for mandalalinda > Reviews

Ukraine Diaries
Ukraine Diaries
by Andrey Kurkov

2.0 out of 5 stars TRANSLATION NOT THE BEST, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Ukraine Diaries (Paperback)
I could not get to grips with reading this book at all. There was something inauthentic about the Voice for me. I knew it was a translation so I checked it out on Google. As Kurkov writes in Russian, this must be a translation of a translation. This edition is translated from the French. I also read that it was hurried to press in view of its topicality. It lacks authenticity for me. It may well be that in the Russian, this is a good read. However, I would not recommend it.

Land Of Gold
Land Of Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING WORK OF ART, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Land Of Gold (Audio CD)
I love this CD more with every listen. And more than that, I love dancing to it. It is stimulating, inspiring - a work of art. Eclectic and vast, it delves into the source of its inspiration and makes you feel and engage with its heart. This music is bold.

Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future
Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future
by Svetlana Alexievich

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK FOR HUMANITY, 19 Jun. 2016
Chernobyl Prayer landed in my lap seemingly by accident. I was meant to be reading another book, but here it was - a book so powerful, moving and relentlessly honest. Page after page drew me deeper into the Chernobyl experience, the Chernobyl life and death. Be prepared to be faced with the truth of humanity - courage, deep abiding love, anger, despair, poignancy and more. This is a wide ranging book, drawing on testimony from many who have been part of Chernobyl, from all walks of life and all ages.

Take quiet time with these pages and let their message seep deep into your consciousness and unconsciousness.

Kazuo Ohno's World: From Without and Within
Kazuo Ohno's World: From Without and Within
by Yoshito Ohno

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ARE FASCINATED BY BUTOH, 19 Jun. 2016
If you are fascinated by the world of Butoh and want to delve deeper, I highly recommend this book. It is quite special. Through the words and especially the images, you will feel your way into Butoh. It is a book to treasure, both an autobiography (of sorts), a collation of wisdom words, from Kazuo's workshops and the photographs which speak volumes and bring this magnificent book alive.

The Sorrow Of War
The Sorrow Of War
by Bảo Ninh

5.0 out of 5 stars HAUNTING, MEMORABLE, DISTURBING, 16 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Sorrow Of War (Paperback)
It took me a while to get into this novel and I was initially frustrated, but then it was like a door opening in my mind and heart. Its structure reflects the way the horror and memory of War replays in the mind of the soldier. I learned so much about the Vietnam War - it brought me very close the people and the country. I highly recommend this classic novel.

Wisdom Comes Dancing: Selected Writings of Ruth St. Denis on Dance, Spirituality, and the Body
by Ruth St. Denis

5.0 out of 5 stars WRITING AND READING FOR TRANSFORMATION, 16 Mar. 2016
This is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. I had heard of Isadora Duncan but not Ruth St. Denis. For all you passionate dancers who believe DANCE will bring in the Peace Revolution, Ruth St. Denis is your woman. The most beautiful dancer, poet, visionary, pioneer extraordinaire. This book and Ruth's writings open you up to your own Authentic Truth, your gifts, your imagination. Women - I encourage you to read these selected writings on Dance, Spirituality and the Body and release the creativity in you waiting to be explored.

Tistou, The Boy With Green Thumbs (Children's Classics)
Tistou, The Boy With Green Thumbs (Children's Classics)
by Maurice Druon

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MAGIC OF GARDENING, 18 Oct. 2015
This is the most magical, original 'children's' story I have ever read with the power to change one's lifetime world view. This is a story which calls to be read out loud - in fact I read it in daily instalments to my husband and we loved sharing TIstou's bold gardening adventures. Now is the time for this story to come more into public consciousness - for its theme could not be mor relevant than it is today. TIstou is an endearing story - buy it, read it and share it.

Spanidou: God'S Snake
Spanidou: God'S Snake
by Irini Spanidou

5.0 out of 5 stars SURPASSED ALL EXPECTATIONS, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Spanidou: God'S Snake (Paperback)
An original and authentic voice - moving the reader through the whole gamut of emotions with the intensity and drama of a Greek Tragedy.
There is deep pain and trauma, brutality and sweet love. It's all in the mix.

A gifted author with a unique style - a work of originality. I loved it.

On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
On Stage: Theater Games and Activities for Kids
by Lisa Bany-Winters

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST, 30 Aug. 2014
Disappointed with this book. I am glad I bought it second hand. Felt quite formulaic and as though ideas copied from others.

Mother Land
Mother Land
by Dmetri Kakmi

5.0 out of 5 stars POETIC, HAUNTING, BEAUTIFUL, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Mother Land (Hardcover)
Mother Land - a hauntingly beautiful and moving biography of lives in a very special place and time. Slowly, as you turn the pages, Dmetri draws you deeper into this island world. The ravishing beauty of his poetic phraseology describing nature will entrance you.

A very special read - if you feel called, I can highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3