Profile for gastropod > Reviews

Giallo Meltdown: A Moviethon Diary
Giallo Meltdown: A Moviethon Diary
by Richard Glenn Schmidt

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is this a book?, 8 Jan. 2016
Lacks substance and is mostly just descriptions of what happens in the films (including spoilers) - a total waste of time in my opinion. If you've seen the film, you don't want to read what happens in it, and if you haven't seen the film, you don't want to read what happens in it and have major plot points spoilt (e.g. the method of killing used in The Crimes of the Black Cat). The concept of a book based on giallo marathons is fine, but its execution is poor and it should have stayed on a blog - spelling errors included. If you're curious, just try the Kindle Unlimited trial to read it for free, it's absolutely not worth paying money for.

Chinatown [Blu-ray] [1974]  [Region Free]
Chinatown [Blu-ray] [1974] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson

2.0 out of 5 stars Barebones UK release., 29 May 2012
As other reviewers have stated, this has none of the extras that the DVD and the American Blu-ray has, and the picture quality isn't particularly great either - appearing too smooth for my liking.

Lesson learnt, I won't be pre-ordering any more Paramount releases.

Bag Raiders
Bag Raiders
Offered by Music-Finder

4.0 out of 5 stars CD is incorrectly mastered., 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Bag Raiders (Audio CD)
As with Cut Copy's latest album 'Zonoscope', there are pauses between the tracks on this CD even when they're meant to flow straight into each other. Modular doesn't seem to be replying to anyone about this so I'd recommend not buying their CDs.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2011 7:29 PM GMT

Life
Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you go for the original Swedish release, 30 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Life (Audio CD)
The UK version omits 4 tracks and includes tracks from their debut album 'Emmerdale' mixed into the tracklisting, so it's a completely different album really. The proper version of 'Life' is as follows:

1) Carnival
8) Fine
9) Sunday Circus Song
10) Hey! Get Out of My Way
11) Closing Time
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2011 5:16 PM BST

Sony NWZA829B 16GB Video Walkman
Sony NWZA829B 16GB Video Walkman

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, the sound quality!, 1 July 2008
I've had my 16GB for a day now and have been fiddling around with its settings and listening to a variety of music. The sound is definitely the best I've heard from an mp3 player, and the superb earphones that come with it definitely play a big part in that. I'd recommend editing the custom EQ to increase the 3rd and 5th bars - this results in a much crisper sound than the default flat setting.

The volume goes about twice the limit of AVLS by the way, so very loud then.

My only real complaint is that there's a pause between each track unless you're playing WAV files (which are far too big). Sony, do us a favour and release a firmware update to rectify that please!

Sony PSP Handheld Console Value Pack, Includes Memory Stick, Battery Pack, Headphones, Demo Disc and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer!, 15 Oct. 2005
I had read all the bad reviews on Amazon.com about the PSP, and it made me feel some dread about buying one, but I can safely say I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. My screen has NO dead or stuck pixels. I have WipEout Pure and Lumines and both are amazing, very addictive games. It is great that you can download additional tracks, craft, skins and audio tracks for WipEout. The analogue stick isn't amazing, so I simply use the D-pad instead. Even so, the analogue stick comes in handy as a mouse when you use the internet on the PSP.
I am very happy with my PSP, and I recommend it!

Of Natural History
Of Natural History

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement!, 9 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Of Natural History (Audio CD)
Wow, this is even better than their debut studio recording, "Grand Opening And Closing!" This is experimental math-rock at its weirdest and darkest. It has a good concept to it that is interesting and thought-provoking, and the packaging is brilliant (like the first album).
The production is top-notch and everything sounds great on it, I really like Carla's singing on Phthisis, it's really dramatic.
I highly recommend this to fans of experimental rock music and anything done by Mike Patton.