Profile for jay > Reviews

Content by jay

Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as some reviews make out, 17 Jan. 2013
I've played Football Manager ever since it was known as Championship manager and to my surprise actually enjoyed it more than the last 2-3 releases.

I love the new staff roles, being able to train players to a certain role and highlighting the key attributes for the roles.

Though for me, the main differences between this year's Football manager and the rest is that now more than ever, your decisions with tactics, player choices, moral and whether playing home or away have big effects on your team's performance. That's probably why alot of the reviews complain about the results not going their way because of these many factors.

At first I was struggling to get results but once you've found the right tactics against your oppositions then everything else will fall into place. It's like discovering a new joy for the game. This also means that you could be the underdog team and still have a chance of beating the stronger team. I guess all this is more realistic which is good. It's just that there needs to be an alternative out there that has the old FM formular of trying to build the strongest team to win every match. Those are the people who need to stay away from this game, bringing down the rating.

Therefore, if you have the patience to build a strong team and don't mind losing games then this is for you. If you want a game where you just pick strong players without having to worry too much about tactics and the rest then look elsewhere or just play the previous releases with transfer updates.

The only thing I find that's not quite right is how much playing home and away affects your teams performance. I can win 5-0 home one week then lose 0-2 the next. I'm forced to play more defensive formations away and hoping to score on the counter away which I've not quite gotten right yet. Other than that, this game is pretty awesome.