Profile for TRENDY RON > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year
The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year

5.0 out of 5 stars What a super imagination Ruth Hogan has, 26 July 2017
Delightfully quirky debut novel. What a super imagination Ruth Hogan has, I cannot think of a novel that is comes near this plot --- unique ! Simply put, charming !

Discovering Gravitational Waves (Kindle Single)
Discovering Gravitational Waves (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars John Gribbin at his best., 19 July 2017
Gribbin at his best . Well written, and easily understood, not over complicated or for that matter simplistic-- a good balance ! Just loved his description of Pulsar timing and 'Frame Dragging'. Wish the book had been longer but that's me being picky. Discovering Gravitational Waves is a must read for anyone with a love for science or an inquiring mind.

Euro Cylinder Locks Door Barrel ANTI-SNAP ANTI-DRILL ANTI-BUMP ANTI-PICK (Brass, 25-10-25 (60mm))
Offered by Home Secure

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Euro Cylinder Lock., 20 July 2016
Good quality Euro Cylinder lock at a competitive price. Despite living in the Highlands 'Home Secure' delivered in record time. Easy to fit using just a screwdriver. Three important points for a budding locksmith :- (1) Before buying, remove the lock to be changed and measure the length. My lock was for example 25-10-25 ( 60 mm ). The profile of all Euro Cylinder Locks is the same.

(2) The attachment screw provided is almost certainly too long for your lock. Fitting a screw that is long can damage the door or even its double glazed unit. The only way to cut the screw without injury is to use a vice and hacksaw. However a solution is at hand ! --- just use the old screw of the original lock, the thread is the same. ( The screw is located on the doors end --- careful you do not remove one of the latch deadbolt screws in error )

(3) I removed and fitted the locks with a key in place. After removing the attachment screw it is possible the lock will stay in place. This is because the cam is just short from its removal position. Turn the key slowly and gently push until no resistance is felt. Use one of the new keys and do the same to replace.

Honeywell ST9400C 7-day Electronic Programmer with 2-channel
Honeywell ST9400C 7-day Electronic Programmer with 2-channel

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived dirty, though working well., 31 May 2016
The Electronic Programmer is working well as a direct replacement for the discontinued Honeywell ST400C. It just took a couple of minutes to fit using the old ST400C's backing plate on my Stanley Cooker. ( No rewiring required )
However I was annoyed at the state it arrived from Amazon in. It was covered with fine sticky dust that had the imprint of small washers on the LCD side of the programmer.
I do not believe for one second Honeywell's production run and testing put it on sale to customers. Rather it was sold by Amazon to a third party where it lay in a house under construction or a dirty workshop. Returned to Amazon - then sold to me !
When any item is returned to Amazon it should be checked before being resold. It is a fine testament to Honeywell that the programmer is working well despite the treatment it has had.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for price but poorly made, 17 Mar. 2016
Good for price but poorly made. Marks inside the eyepiece in line with the outside of the recticule cross. Also as you move the telescope on the keypad the observed star in the field of view vanishes you have to move your eyes position to regain contact. I do not know enough about optics to say why it vanishes, I can only assume a lens is out of shape or perhaps not parallel with the others.
The on/off switch on the illuminating LED is faulty, I have had to dismantle it twice in the short time I have owned the eyepiece.
You might be wondering why I gave the eyepiece two stars and also why did I not just send it back. The reason is I have a Celestron Go-To telescope and an illuminated centring eyepiece gives much improved accuracy when initialising with guide stars and calibration stars. It does not matter much how poor the eyepiece is manufactured, I do not use it as an observing tool, just as a Bullseye.
Solomark can do much better than this, it has the poorest quality of any of the eight eyepieces I own.

Hunter Men's Argyll Full Knee Wellies Black W23107 6 UK
Hunter Men's Argyll Full Knee Wellies Black W23107 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb delivery service., 5 Feb. 2014
I live in the Scottish Highlands , waiting over a week for delivery is the norm. Imagine my surprise when the postie delivered my wellies in under two days from ordering. Super service from Retail Therapy Boutique through Amazon.

Noted that Prince Charles was wearing Argyll Full Knee Wellies on a visit to the Somerset levels, If they are ok for a Prince they will do me nicely.

I am in my sixties and have worn Argyll's most of my life , and i must confess I was worried to read the Negative reviews of the product . All I can say is I have checked and worn my new pair and they appear good on all counts. Remember " time wounds all heels " ! Even Argyll's.

On sizing, I am an 8.5 uk however I buy my Argyll's 6 uk, this gives a slipper like fit while wearing every day normal socks . ( My feet are fairly narrow. )

Collins English Dictionary
Collins English Dictionary
by Collins Dictionaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins English Dictionary., 22 Dec. 2013
This was to replace a thirty year old Collins English Dictionary in poor condition, much loved but with pages falling out. let me start by saying this is a tome that does not disappoint, it certainly is a tour de force of some distinction. It boasts 130,000 entries, more than 200,000 definitions and impotantly for me a good scientific and technical vocabulary.

Its is not far short of 2000 pages thick and weighs-in at a hefty but not unwieldy 3.5kg. Its dimensions are 280mm high, 220mm broad and is 80mm wide.

Make room in your bookcase or on your bookshelf you will not be dissatisfied.

Despite being near Christmas and living in the Scottish Highlands the dictionary arrived on time. I would also like to point-out that Amazon is one of a few companies that does not add a large surcharge to the Highlands and Islands, for this we are very grateful.

Celestron X-Cel LX 12 mm/1.25-Inch Eyepiece
Celestron X-Cel LX 12 mm/1.25-Inch Eyepiece

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Cel LX 12mm eyepiece., 7 Aug. 2013
This is my second X-Cel LX eyepiece, a few months back I purchased an 18mm one. ( See my review on Amazon.) Once again I have not been disappointed, this wide field eyepiece gives remarkably good viewing for the money spent. The best 12mm eyepiece on the market is said to be the Tele Vue Delos, however at nearly £300 it is well out of my price range. Another thing I like is that the eyepiece is parfocal in the X-Cel LX range, I now do not have to refocus with my 18mm, good time saving in the dark !

A word of caution, this is my second X-Cel LX 12mm eyepiece. Above I have rated the eyepiece as a five star product, which undoubtedly it is. However my first eyepiece only merited one possibly two stars. The box it arrived in was damaged, and the general condition of the eyepiece was poor. Dust and a piece of fluff inside the sealed lenses. This I might have lived with. However under a cloudy day time sky I pointed my telescope at a uniformly grey cloud and fitted the eyepiece without tightening the two location screws. Slowly using my fingers I rotated the eyepiece, now anything that turned must be on or inside. The dust now showed clearly, but what concerned me was an area of distortion about 20 arc seconds diameter near the centre of view, the centre of which had a black speck about five arc seconds diameter.( My other three eyepieces do not have this, ruling out collimation. )

The eyepiece was returned to the seller, and I purchased my super new 12mm X-Cel LX from Hawks through Amazon. The lesson I have learned, Confirmed by looking at United States and UK websites, is Celestron might well have quality control issues. But keep faith in Celestron, the eyepiece is a masterpiece of good design and I would have no hesitation in telling people to buy them.

Celestron X-Cel LX 18 mm/1.25-Inch Eyepiece
Celestron X-Cel LX 18 mm/1.25-Inch Eyepiece

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron X-Cel LX 18mm - !.25 Inch Eyepiece., 17 Jun. 2013
I chose the the 18mm eyepiece as it gives good magnification for deep sky objects such as galaxies and planetary nebulae. My new telescope is a Celestron NexStar SLT 127mm. It has a focal length of 1500mm, so the magnification is 1500 divided by 18 = 83 times. The eyepiece is much better than the two standard eyepieces that came with the scope, both in field size, ( difficult to judge as the two that came were 25 & 9 mm.)and also field clarity, ( more easily judged.) I live in the north of Scotland where we are blessed with little light polution, however at this time of year, June, the skies never get dark. Despite this the 18mm eyepiece works well at spliting double stars i was particularly pleased to split Polaris, it has a fairly wide seperation of 18.4 seconds of an arc but the primary is very bright 2.0, and the companion dim 9.0. As the experience has been so good i intend to buy the entire range of Celestron X-Cel eyepieces over the next few years, without going below 5mm, ( my telescopes 300 times magnification limit ) making the 12mm eyepiece my next purchace. Philips " Stargazing with a Telescope " by Robin Scagell, says : "Top of the accessories list is extra eyepieces." I recommend the 18mm X-Cel LX Eyepiece.

I bought the eyepiece from Amazon. It arrived promptly despite my remote UK location. Amazon are one off very few companies that do not add hefty postage charges to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.

5007 - Black Cotton Motorcycle Neck Tube
5007 - Black Cotton Motorcycle Neck Tube
Offered by UK Good Deals Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Black cotton neck tube., 23 April 2013
This is my second cotton neck tube, I have also owned a fleece snood which was slightly warmer but found that after being worn a few times it stretched alarmingly. This has not been a problem with either of my cotton neck warmers. I live among the mountains in the highlands of Scotland and part of what I do involves going out in bad weather, some times at night, on high ground. My neck tube has helped keep me warm even in driving snow. As a non motorcycle man this in my opinion is a good product, so good I have also purchased more for my wife and father-in-law. I am hard pushed to find a down side, perhaps a "thick set" large man would find it too tight to wear. I am certainly not a fashion icon, but it would have been nice to have choice of colours, I feel like the legendary Hendry Ford who said : " you can have any colour as long as it is black "! The attached photograph does not show clearly the length of the product, to any potential buyers it measures 10 inches ( 254 mm )

Page: 1 | 2