Profile for PCM > Reviews

Content by PCM

PCM (Aberdeen, Scotland)

The Low Highway (Bonus DVD)
The Low Highway (Bonus DVD)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 April 2013
Have listened to this about half a dozen times (on my tedious daily commute) & after just the 2nd play, found myself singing Remember Me - what a beautiful song. Couple of other things struck me: intro to Calico County reminded me of the beginning of something on Washington Square Serenade, but without playing all of WSS I can't figure out which track; bits of Love's Gonna Blow My Way put me in mind of Willie Nelson's take on Irving Berlin's Blue Skies (go figure that one!); there's a line about ghosts (in Calico County again maybe?) in a song that brought to mind The Mountain. The overall feel for me reflected Burnett's influence still -in a good way. Looking forward very much to the gig in May, & despite a wealth of new material, my fingers are firmly crossed for a Billy Austin encore, like we had at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago. Harley is sorely missed from this series of Treme, too! Carolyn Middleton, Aberdeen, Scotland

Le Snob: Perfume (Le Snob Guides)
Le Snob: Perfume (Le Snob Guides)
by Dariush Alavi

5.0 out of 5 stars More, please!, 1 Nov. 2012
I am rather a latecomer to Mr Alavi's perfume blog, but having become a regular reader, I was delighted to see that he was to publish this. It is a beautiful volume, clearly & concisely written (& gorgeously illustrated), reflecting the author's knowledge as well as opinions. It's a lovely book for dipping into & I have done so many times since receiving it. It would make a fitting gift for someone at the start of their fragrance world exploration, & a fine addition to a perfumista's existing library.

Is it too much to hope for another, longer book at some point?

Well done, Mr Alavi!

From Carolyn Middleton, Aberdeen, Scotland

Watchmen - Director's Cut (2-Disc) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Watchmen - Director's Cut (2-Disc) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Jackie Earle Haley

1.0 out of 5 stars Another rip off, 6 Oct. 2009
This will be the "Directors Cut" that we were led to believe was not being issued over here. The first edition was only out in July! I'm really fed up with getting ripped off by the film companies. As much as I enjoy the movie, I'm will not buy another copy.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2010 1:37 PM GMT

Closer To The Bone
Closer To The Bone

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classy offering from Kris, 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Closer To The Bone (Audio CD)
Been a fan for such a long time; this is another superb album, right up there with The Austin Sessions. Now, he just needs to tour the UK & come to Aberdeen again...Carolyn Middleton

Somedays the Song Writes You
Somedays the Song Writes You
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb album, 6 Oct. 2009
Just listened to this for the first time en route to work this morning - beautiful, heartfelt songs as I have come to expect from this artist; been a fan since I saw him with Peter Rowan, John Stewart & the great Townes van Zandt many years ago in Perth (Scotland). Unfortunately Messrs Stewart & van Zandt are no longer with us, but Guy is going strong - long may he continue to do so.
Carolyn Middleton
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2016 10:49 PM BST

Washington Square Serenade (Bonus DVD)
Washington Square Serenade (Bonus DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent, 31 Oct. 2007
My favourite album is Just An American Boy, & the only time I have been to a gig of Stee Earle's was when he was touring this album & I absolutely loved it. However, WSS is a complete change of direction, obviously engendered by the recent changes in his life & it's just lovely - the songs are gentle, sweet almost, & his love for his new wife & new city shine through. I cannot wait to see him in Glasgow next year.

Carolyn Middleton, Aberdeen, Scotland

Wimbledon Confidential
Wimbledon Confidential
by Patricia Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 7 July 2007
This review is from: Wimbledon Confidential (Paperback)
Thinner than expected, some poor grammar & some glaring errors - for example, Goran Ivanisevic's surname name spelt incorrectly, as is Gerry Williams' first name, Philadelphia spelt incorrectly - I could go on. Don't waste your money.