Profile for Silverfrog > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 688

Silverfrog (Leeds UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beeway® Hydration Bladder 2 Liter/ 3 Liter Water Reservoir Pack suitable for Hydration System Backpack Bag, idea for Outdoor Cycling Climbing Hiking Running (BPA Free FDA Approved)
Offered by MagicQ

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial bad taste so needs washing thoroughly first - works really well and holds loads of fluid, 26 July 2016
This huge hydration bladder is great for keeping thirst-free on the move. Many rucksacks have either a headphone slot in at the top which is actually great for these things. The bladder holds a massive 3 litres and the water dispensing mechanism works really well. I put the bladder in the inside pocket of my rucksack and fed the water drinking tube through the 'headphone' hole at the top of my rucksack. The water hose is at a height where water pressure is absolutely fine for drinking from.
The drinking tube has a rubber biting end cap so if you leave the tube dangling, no water is dispensed. Biting on the rubber tube end allows a small hole to open and dispenses water. This 'biting' end also has a plastic end cap to keep the mouthpiece clean however I would have preferred it if the end cap was fixed to the tube so that it doesn't get lost.

Otherwise, the hydration bladder works really well and holds absolutely loads of water which is ideal for running or if you go abroad to a hot country where you need to ensure you are hydrated sufficiently. I would strongly suggest that you wash both the bladder and the drinking tube with warm water as I initially found the water to have a bad taste.

OXA Scuba Diving Snorkel Set including Dry Top Snorkel, Windows Tempered Glass Mask and Trek Fins (Blue, S/M(37-41))
Offered by UNICSTAR OFFICIAL

5.0 out of 5 stars Super scuba diving set that is good quality - really like the snorkel dry valve mechanism, 26 July 2016
I've only done scuba diving as part of packaged holidays and have found it lots of fun and have always wanted to get some basic equipment at a relatively cheap price to try in my own time.
I think this set is super and am impressed at the quality of them. Having done a bit of searching online I found that the snorkel that is provided is one of the better types that are available. The snorkel attaches to the mask strap to hold it in place and the mouth guard is comfortable in the mouth and has a 'purge valve' which allows you to purge water from the tube when surfaced (by blowing into it). The top of the snorkel is not open ended but has a 'dry valve' which prevents water from entering into the tube when submerged but allows water to be purged when blowing into it from the mouthpiece. The mask is very comfortable to wear and fits over both the nose and mouth and can be adjusted to fit most head sizes at either side of the mask. I was also very impressed with the flippers which were surprisingly comfortable to wear and seem like plastic reinforced rubber flippers. As the flippers have an open back with an adjustable quick release rubber strap you don't need to worry about size as you can tighten the strap at both sides of the foot.
I'd definitely recommend this if you are thinking of snorkelling but don't want to spend a fortune as the quality is good, the snorkel remains completely dry inside and is a great way of exploring reefs and such when on holiday.

This scuba set was provided to me to review by the manufacturer.

Outdoors Team Recurve Bow 20lb Recurve Youth Archery Set Kids Bow
Outdoors Team Recurve Bow 20lb Recurve Youth Archery Set Kids Bow
Offered by Hunting Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun to use - almost a complete kit to start archery as no targets are supplied, 26 July 2016
As a novice archer I thought that I'd give this a go although I would have preferred an adult version.

If you are new to archery like me, then you may want to know what a recurve bow is. There are different types of bows ranging from traditional bows, compound bows to recurve bows. The recurve bow refers to the limbs of the bow when unstrung which angle away from the archer allowing the bow to store energy efficiently for a greater energy and speed of the arrow.

This archery set for youths is quite comprehensive including 2 metal point arrows, 2 suction cup arrows, recurve bow and string, arm guard and finger tabs. The bow comes in 2 parts which slide together at the hand grip and is reasonably sturdy and the bow is relatively easy to string. With more expensive bows it is recommended to get a bow stringer but for something like this I don't think it's needed. The bow grip has a curved indent on either side to rest the arrow on when aiming and is suitable for both left and right handers. The arm guard comes in handy to protect the inner forearm from the bow string after you release it and it's nice that a finger tab is provided for use with your draw string hand. I should mention that although the arm guard is a nice addition the quality is mediocre with the material being tacky leather looking and the the straps being non-elasticated velcro fastenings but are fine for functionality.
There are lots of videos on Youtube giving basic instructions on how to use a recurve bow but the basics are that standing 135 degrees to your target (i.e. in between facing the target and perpendicular to it). When you draw the string back, it should touch the centre of your nose. Using the finger tab to protect your fingers notch the arrow with the single odd coloured 'feather' facing upwards and draw the string. Pull the string to your nose and release ensuring that the hand drawing the string ends up behind your head.

I'd say the bow works well and the arrow travels fairly far and would be appropriate to use in a medium sized garden. Our garden is a little on the small side and I felt that the arrow punched to it's target reasonably well with some room for further flight. The only thing missing is a basic target. If you have any you could, like me, use an old polystyrene packaging from something else with either painted target on or alternatively search for a target image on the internet and print it from your computer to stick somewhere. It's a cheaper alternative to buying one and is sufficient for novice archers.

All in all this is a nice beginners set at a cheap price and gives all that you need aside from a target which I think would be a nice addition as you need something to aim at. It's fun to use and compacts quite small given that the bow dismantles to half the length but a carry pouch would also be nice as well. The arrows fly straight once you get the technique right and the bow is strong enough to allow reasonable archer to target distances.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Garden Hose, Homeme 100 Feet Newest Expandable Strongest Magic Hose Pipe with Solid Brass Fittings & 9-pattern Spray Nozzle (Black)
Offered by Ange Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars water leaked just beneath tap fitting - used with a Hozelock tap adaptor, 25 July 2016
I was provided this hose at a discounted price by the manufacturer to review
I've been looking for a decent length, robust and non-leaky garden hose for ages and I thought that I'd try my luck with this one by Homeme. I have to say that although I was impressed by the looks of it as well as the accessories supplied (you get a nylon bag to store the hose and trigger in) I really wasn't impressed by the use and here's why.

As we don't have an outdoor tap I have to use a tap adaptor that is made by Hozelock (no problems there). The adaptor just fits on the tap and tightened to prevent leaks. The hose has a tap lever at one end that screws on to the trigger and I really think that this should be a quick detach like a Hozelock. The tap on the hose isn't really needed and just blocks the water passage in case the trigger is pressed. The other end of the hose has a metal screw fastening that should just screw onto either the outdoor tap or in my case the Hozelock fitting - again no problems there.
The issue came when turning the water on the bathroom tap after which there was quite a fair bit of leakage from just beneath the screw that fits to the tap. Having unscrewed the fitting completely to see what the issue was, I found that the issue was that the metal tube that fit beneath the tap screw was too loose causing leaking - this is the metal part that holds the hose to the tap fitting. I tried using my tools to tighten it and had no luck even after it was tightened as far as it could go. I should also say here that the outer fabric that 'protects' the tube began to fray fairly badly whilst putting the parts back together.
I've had to resort to using bathroom sealant around the metal parts (the black looking sealant in the pictures) to prevent leakage which I don't think I should have to do. So much for the advertised 'no leaks'.

Since testing the hose after letting the sealant dry, the hose still leaks.

The hose is very long though which I liked and the trigger has several different spray options which again is very useful for varying the hose use. All in all I'm personally disappointed in it but it could well be that if you have an outdoor tap with the correct screw fitting, there isn't any issue with leakage. But from the perspective from someone without an outdoor tap it didn't work well. Given the high price tag I would have expected something more robust.
Comment Comment | Permalink

OVOS Ultra Fast Cooking Thermometer With Instant Digital Read Meat Thermometer For BBQ Grill And Oven (Orange)
Offered by DUCO Network Technology Co., Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well and has clear display - can use in Celsius or Fahrenheit, 25 July 2016
I've always 'winged it' when judging if meat was cooked when doing barbecues and haven't really had any issues but thought it would be good to be sure as sometimes it can be hard to tell and you certainly want to be sure with food like chicken. I wanted an inexpensive option and this seemed to fit the bill. The thermometer has a collapsible skewer that you insert into the centre of the meat which is spring loaded and has a useful loop at the top end where I attached a key ring loop and bungee cord belt loop to so that it was handy to get when needed.OVOS supply a very useful temperature guide for all types of meat which also state the temperature for medium rare or well done food. The temperatures can be changed from Celsius to Fahrenheit and the temperature guide for different meats is also usefully attached next to the reader display which is extremely useful.

We tried ours for burgers on the BBQ grill at a group event and it is surprising how 'uncooked' the meat is on the inside even when the meat is browning on the outside. I actually found that if I was 'eye-balling', I would have taken the food off far earlier than advised increasing risk of stomach problems and was glad I had it with me for a group event. Using the thermometer really emphasized how careful you need to be when judging when food is cooked through as well as ensuring that the BBQ coals are not TOO hot - if the coals are too hot then the meat will burn on the outside whilst not be cooked inside.

All in all the thermometer is very handy to have to ensure that meat is cooked and it is extremely useful that the skewer rod can collapse which will minimise any accidents (it's quite sharp). I like that the unit has a loop at the top making it easy to attach to your belt or if you have a hook on the side of the BBQ. The display is very easy to read and I really like that the temperature guides are right there next to the display. All in all it seems like a good thermometer at a reasonable price.

APIE Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Portable Stereo FM Radio, Support USB HOST & Micro SD card Pairs with All Bluetooth Devices and 3.5mm Jack
Offered by APIE Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality sound with a variety of source options to play music but a little weighty, 25 July 2016
I was expecting this to be reasonably large and although I was right, the sound is really good. The speaker is about the size of a brick and is just as heavy. The speaker can connect via bluetooth, 3.5mm audio cable, and can also play music from a TF card (Transflash card which is the same as an SD card). I connected to my Iphone 6 plus without any issues and I played a number of tracks and was very impressed by the sound quality, even at low volumes. At moderate volumes this thing is reasonably loud with crystal clear sound. The media buttons are easily accessible at the top of the speaker and have separate up/down volume buttons (which I was extremely pleased to see as I hate dual function up volume/next track buttons), play/pause/answer call. There is a built in microphone at the front of the speaker that you can use to make and answer calls with and the quality is good.

As mentioned before you can play music via bluetooth, audio cable and SD/TF card although there is a USB port as well so if you have music on a USB flash drive you can plug this in and the speaker will automatically begin playing music from it which is great for parties where you just want to leave it on.

The speaker can be charged via a USB to Micro-USB cable which was provided but I already have several which work just as well. All in all it is fairly large and weighty and although it is portable, it isn't particularly easy to carry. The sound quality is good and the speakers are fairly loud even at mid volume settings. I'd recommend this speaker and would place it at mid range compared to others that I've tried - although the volume is reasonably loud and would sufficiently fill a room easily, you may have difficulty if you have a large garden and want to use it for large parties.

This speaker was provided to me by the manufacturer for review and my review is unbiased.

ZEEFO 2 Pack PIR Motion Sensor LED Night Light, USB Rechargeable Wireless Intelligent Wall Sconce Light, Stick On Everywhere 3 Modes Auto On/ Off For Baby room Closet, Cabinet ,Wardrobe, Hallway, Kitchen, Drawer, Shed (White)
Offered by ZEEFO Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright lights with constant on or motion sensor modes, 25 July 2016
I have a number of motion sensor lights and I was surprised to find that these quite bright compared to other LED lights that I have. I set ours in one of our built in wardrobes as the main light doesn't really allow you to see clearly and they work really well. The lights come with only one USB to micro-USB cable to re-charge them and it would have been nicer if Zeefo supplied a dual micro-USB charger as the likelihood is that they will run out at the same time but I guess it depends on whether one is in a high usage area compared to the other.

Some similar motion sensor lights come with an adhesive magnetic strip which I tend to prefer however these came with a plastic mount and a double sided adhesive tape to stick it to your wall or wardrobe. The adhesive seems to stick firmly in our wardrobe and I haven't had any problems and the light clips into the mount easily. Each light has a simple on/off/auto switch that controls the light but there's no ability to adjust the time the light stays on for. On is for permanently on and 'auto' turns on the motion sensor so only comes on when movement is detected then remains on for a set period of time and then turns off.

All in all these are nice lights that are bright and do the job well of illuminating our dark wardrobes. These lights were provided by the manufacturer to review.

Outdoor Garden Path Lamp Pack of 4, Solar Powered White LED Lighting, Cordless Lawn Yard Pathway Led Light, Waterproof and Durable Made by Stainless Steel and ABS
Offered by UltraGood

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice chrome look but very dim light, 25 July 2016
I'm a huge fan of solar garden lights and have a few different types. Although these lights look nice and are cleverly packaged, they unfortunately didn't compare very well when lit in the dark. The lights come dis-assembled, were well packaged and easy to fit together. I sat them in the garden on a bright sunny day and came out at night to see how they were doing. Unfortunately they were extremely dim compared to other solar lights that I have that were of comparative price. Spread out about a metre and a half apart, they really seemed dim and only just about lit a foot radius around them. Not great in my opinion. All in all, although they look nice in chrome, they don't perform very well and I wouldn't particularly recommend them.

Blusmart 750ML Silicone Protable Sport Folding Collapsible Water Bottle Leak-proof Biking Cycling Camping Drink Bottles Hiking Running Travelling Reservoir Cup with BPA Free and FDA Certification
Offered by hojyuk

3.0 out of 5 stars You MUST boil it in water for about 5 minutes first to dispel any bad taste, 25 July 2016
I have a number of other collapsible water bottles that I purchased from outdoor shops which I have found extremely useful on my travels, especially to very hot countries and I was initially very excited about this one. When I first received the bottle I was pleasantly surprised at how compact the bottle was and how nice it felt in the hand as it is made from flexible silicone. When empty the bottle can seem unsupported and sort of droopy but when full, is reasonably firm in the hand. The bottle is supplied with a rubber loop which keeps the bottle compact when rolled up. When I filled the water bottle, the dispenser cap seemed to be secure and did not leak water and drinking water straight away, I found the water spout comfortable to use.

You need to note that if you purchase this, you need to boil the entire bottle in hot water on the stove for about 5 minutes and here's why.
I found that drinking after leaving plain water in the water bottle over time any period of time (from an hour to a full day) left the water tasting absolutely foul. I tried washing the water bottle several times with washing up liquid as well as soaking and leaving it in the sink but I still kept on getting the same bad taste. My thought is that the silicone somehow contaminates the water when left and unless you're drinking straight away this fact renders the bottle useless. This is the same issue that I had with a different silicone collapsible bottle that I own and really should be addressed by manufacturers. I boiled the bottle in water for 5 minutes which eradicated the bad taste problem however I still don't think that the consumer should need to do this or a very clear warning should be made on the instructions.

This water bottle was provided to me by the manufacturer at a reduced cost to review and the opinions stated are my own and unbiased.

Deluxe Bath Salt Blütenmeer, for a Silky Soft Skin (700g)
Deluxe Bath Salt Blütenmeer, for a Silky Soft Skin (700g)
Offered by Venize UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of the Dead Sea - lovely smell and very well presented - great as a gift, 14 July 2016
This bath salt was provided to me by the manufacturer to review.
With the plethora of bath products on the market it can be hard to know which to get and it's very much a personal preference. I haven't used bath salts before but really enjoyed this. It comes (as with all Lumunu products) very well presented and makes for an ideal gift. The jar is nice and has a cork stopper that can easily be opened but stays firmly shut when not in use.
If you've ever been to the Dead Sea you'll know how nice your skin feels afterwards after absorbing all those minerals and these salts remind me of that but have a lovely rose smell. The salt is interspersed with rose petals giving it a really nice classy look and they look nice when in bath water. It's really up to you how much you use for each bath but I used a small fistful and with the water quite hot, it didn't take long for the salt to dissolve. After lying in it for about 40 minutes I found that my skin felt softer and smelt lovely and fresh and was very relaxing indeed. I would suggest using a sink hole sieve to catch all the petals so they don't go and clog up the drain.
Otherwise I was very impressed by the bath salts and I think they would make a lovely gift.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20