Profile for Silverfrog > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 571

Silverfrog (Leeds UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TaoTronics® Water Resistant Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Shower Speaker (Bluetooth 3.0, Hands-Free, Built-in Mic, A2DP/AVRCP)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker but not a competitive price (currently at £40), 18 Mar. 2015
This bluetooth speaker was provided to me by the manufacturer in exchange for a fair and honest review.

In the box, you get the speaker which comes partially charged, a USB to dedicated charger port cable and instructions. The unit has a rubberised port cover on the left side of the speaker (as you look at the unit with volume down button to the left) that you use to charge the unit with the provided USB cable. I have to say with most devices being standardised with either Mini-USB or Micro-USB ports, I didn't particularly like the dedicated charge cable because if it goes missing - that's it!

Connecting to either my Iphone 5 or my Ipad mini was no problem at all and very straight forward (just press and hold the centre on/off button on the speaker and select to pair with the device on your device. You get a beep sounding to indicate it is successfully connected. The unit has a cursor style layout which is rubberised to help protect it from water and the buttons are responsive as they click when depressed. The buttons are as follows; Top button=play/pause; left button = back track(single press)/down volume (Press and hold); right button=forward track(single press)/up volume (Press and hold); bottom button = answer call. The speaker has a very large suction cup on the back with a little tab to make it easy to remove from surfaces which is nice.

Well having used it in the shower, how does it fair? It's actually pretty loud and the sound is crisp and clear with enough bass to satisfy even me. The volume controls on the speakers are independent of my Iphone music control so you need to be careful what volume you start at. I didn't like the double beep sounded when you increase the volume to it's maximum as it was extremely loud compared to the music itself but I realise that some indication of maximum volume reached is necessary - I just wish it was a little quieter.

I found it a little odd that the charging port was on the left side of the speaker as I would have thought it would make the most sense to have it at the bottom of the unit to minimise water getting in however as it's circular and you can mount it on the wall how you want, this is a moot point.

All in a a great little speaker with good sound and functions. However having searched Amazon for waterproof bluetooth speakers there are much cheaper options out there although most will not have an answer call function. If you're not bothered about answering the phone, you can get a similar one on Amazon for about six pounds (Mini Ultra Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speakers with Suction Cup for Showers Bathroom, (BLUE)) which is (at the current time of posting) about 8 times cheaper!

Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Men
Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Men

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable on the sole of the feet and impact absorbing but no support to the arch of the feet, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've wanted to try gel insoles for some time now but never came around to getting any. As I have a serious knee problem I actually wear orthodontic insoles that are designed to support the arch of the foot and results in better posture. Although these soles are very comfortable on the heel, they do not support the arch of the foot at all (which I realise is an individual thing as each persons foot is different) and I would say that they might be better suited to people with less of an arch on the foot. As some reviewers have written, they are easy to insert but just remember to take out your old insole and overlay this as a template on to the Scholl insoles and cut around the toe area (not the heel).
I would say that prior to having knee issues, these would have done quite nicely as the gel absorbs the impact when you walk and is especially effective for daily walking on hard surfaces. As you normally place your heel down first, the soles absorb the impact and softens any jolting on the knees and if you walk significantly during the day or even just waiting on the spot for long durations, will most likely result in being less cranky and tired, as well as less aches in your legs. All in all they are comfortable on the sole of the foot but don't give that much support to the arches. If you normally don't have issues with flatter soles shoes, you will probably find these very comfortable and relieve pressure from your knees during the day.

Satechi Bluetooth Smart Selfie Extension Arm Monopod Telescoping Mount for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great extension arm with built in shutter button (No separate button needed). Care needed when charging though., 11 Mar. 2015
This bluetooth smart selfie extension arm was provided to me by the manufacturer directly in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I've never actually used one of these before and have always wondered whether it was worth purchasing as well as how they worked. Having done a basic search on Amazon for selfie extension arms I found that most of these have a separate bluetooth fob in addition to the telescopic phone mount, which has buttons that sync with your phone and you take a photo by pressing a button on this fob. You are essentially holding a separate remote control which has a shutter button for your phone camera.

This bluetooth selfie extension arms seems different from other brands in that there are no other separate fobs to carry around (or lose if you are anything like me) as the controls are on the handle itself. This is a great way of ensuring that you don't loose parts of the unit. I have an Iphone 5 with an external battery case attached to it so that I have back up battery power if I need it but makes my phone chunkier than normal. I had no issues in putting my phone on the extension arm as you simply prise the 2 clamps apart and they automatically spring back to keep the phone in place. The springs are very firm and it does not feel like my phone would slip at all which is something I might be worried about - especially I am taking a photo and extending the camera over water. The hand is a comfortable rubber handle to help maintain a grip and there is an added protection of a strap on the end as well. This strap cleverly unscrews to reveal the Micro USB charging port underneath and you can use the USB to Micro USB charging cable provided to charge the unit. I did find however that when the Micro USB cable was inserted, it wasn't particularly secure and wobbled a little too precariously for my liking (giving the impressing that it would not take much of a knock to break the micro USB cable inside the charging port. There are 4 buttons on the handle itself; on/off button, bluetooth button, Apple product or Android product selection and also the 'shutter' button to actually take a photo.

I had no issues connecting to my Iphone 5 after switching it on and pressing the bluetooth button and did not need to change anything else for it to work. As soon as I put my Iphone in camera mode, switched around the live camera to the front facing camera, and mounted the phone on the arm, pressing the 'shutter' button took a photo. Where the clamp connects to the arm, there is a ball joint so that you can tilt and rotate the phone to the right angle. I should mention that when you receive the unit, the clamp mount comes detached but screws very easily onto the arm and can also be attached either from the bottom of the clamp or at the rear of the clamp. The arm can extend to about 3 feet away which should be enough for most shots that you might want.
All in all a great piece of kit although it's a bit difficult to say whether it's worth the price as it's not currently listed. You can get other selfie extension arms for between £5-14 at the moment on Amazon so as long as it's roughly around this price I think that should be about right. I really like the fact that you don't have to carry around a separate Shutter button that might get lost. I think Satechi need to look at Micro USB connection though as I think it wouldn't take much to break the USB cable inside the charging port.

FRiEQ® 12W Portable Smart NFC Wireless Bluetooth v4.0 Speaker (Two Large 40MM 6W Drivers) with Touch Control Function and up to 15 Hour Playback For iPhone 5S, 5, iPad Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, HTC, Tablets, PC
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound quality but a fraction on the expensive side., 11 Mar. 2015
This bluetooth speaker was provided to me directly by the manufacturer in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Although this speaker is slightly more expensive than the average bluetooth speaker that I own I think that it's still really great. Although small, FRIEQ have done well to ensure that they did not compromise on sound quality. The speaker comes neatly packaged with a USB to micro USB cable that is used to charge it or directly power it. The rear of the speaker has an on/off switch, charge/power micro USB port, line-in socket that can be used to output music directly from an Ipod or such, and a 'buddy jack' that can be used to piggy-back an audio source to an additional speaker.
The speaker was very easy to connect to my Iphone 5 and the sound quality is superb. the touch sensitive buttons on the top of the speaker control the volume up/down, forward/back track, play/pause and answer call and are sensitive enough that you don't need to keep pressing several times for a function to work. The sound buttons directly control the volume on my IPhone so the maximum volume setting is of the phone itself. As mentioned the sound quality is extremely good - a very bright sound with a full deep bass that is not too overpowering at full volume; the top end range is extremely good as well with no sign of tinniness.
Overall, the speaker is extremely nice with a solid feel to it without being too weighty, very good sound quality and functional touch sensitive buttons.

SMS Audio Bio Sport Earbud with Heart Monitor - Yellow
SMS Audio Bio Sport Earbud with Heart Monitor - Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very accurate heart rate monitor and mediocre sound quality., 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
SMS have combined the common in-ear headphones with the ability to detect your heart-rate but have they done it well? In short, not really no. I feel that SMS Audio have compromised on sound quality to add a basic heart rate monitor that actually isn't that accurate. In the box you'll get the headphones which come in 3 colours and a neoprene pouch as well as different size earbuds that are easy to change. The headphone cable is rubberised material but I really like that they don't tangle at all when stuffed into my pocket and the wires are pretty sturdy in the ear buds themselves.
The headset plugs directly into the earphone socket of your phone and does technically control your music player. I tested on my Iphone 5 which worked OK has an in-line controller and controls the play/pause by single tap on the button, double tap changes to the next track and triple tap goes to the previous track. I really hated that they don't control the volume at all so you need to take out your phone itself to do this which is super annoying - especially if you're running and need to adjust the volume.
The headphones are pretty comfortable in the ear however and have no indication of falling out when jumping up and down which is good as they are sports earbuds after all. The sound quality does lack depth in the bass area however but mid and high ranges are OK. Some people might be OK with this but the quality of the music is pretty important to me.
With regards to the heart rate monitor, the sensor is in the earbud itself and you need to use RunKeeper which is free to install and has a variety of settings from the type of activity you are doing, attach playlist to the activity if you've set up playlists, pace. Then when you've input your settings, you can select to start the activity and it will give an updated report of your pace, heart rate etc during the activity. Comparing to a basic heart rate monitor with a chest strap, you can tell straight away that the heartrate monitor isn't accurate.
These headphones are expensive and I would prefer using my own bluetooth headphones for freedom of use - especially as you can't change the volume. I'd prefer using my own heart rate watch monitor instead as it would be far cheaper....

Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras
Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with good functions - may need to 'prime' your body to aid it's use (e.g. cold shower to help raise your hair), 5 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a Shaver or razor for the most part I thought I'd try this.
The epilator comes with several attachments - shaver head, trimmer cap, area specific caps (face, sensitive areas, efficiency cap) which all fit over the epilator which effectively reduces the usable area. The default cap has a pivoting head that moves with the contours of your body which works well and there is a very helpful light that is emitted from the front side (just above the on/off switch) and is very useful for getting a closer look to catch those stray hairs. The on/off switch has a safety feature where you need to press the small buttons to allow the on/off switch to rotate on and off ensuring that you don't knock it by mistake.
The epilator was used on one leg and a plain razor on another just to see the difference and I found that it took 4 or 5 times longer to use the epilator as it kept missing hairs. Maybe this is because it's the first time in using it but I was going slowly over the leg. Maybe there is a knack to it or using it in the bath is better. I could imagine that ensuring that you are in a very cool room would help as this would help raise the hairs on your body to make it easier for the epilator or alternatively have a cold shower.
I found the sensitive caps not particularly useful however and under the armpits still hurt like hell using the 'sensitive area cap' - again maybe it's getting used to it. I will continue to try it though and see how it goes but if it continues as it currently does I may end up going back to a razor....

1byone 8.6" Bluetooth Speaker Crystal Circular Super LED Dome Light, Digital Magic Ball Effect Lighting DMX512 LED Hemisphere Light LED Laser Reflection Projector Light, Apply Lighting For DJ Disco House Party Hotel Stage Office Camping Field Music Concert Etc, Lighting For Halloween And Christmas
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great disco lighting system with good sound quality, 5 Mar. 2015
I received this product from the manufacturer in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was expecting when I initially received this however I was very pleasantly surprised. I think I imagined a much smaller light coverage but was surprised at how wide an area it covered. I received the Prismatic bluetooth model to review.
The unit comes simply packaged with a remote control as well as a 3 pin plug power cable which is moderately but not particularly long. Once switched on, the unit will (quite surprisingly loudly) inform you that 'bluetooth mode enabled' and will automatically begin emitting a bluetooth signal for you to connect to your phone, tablet or whatever. I had no issues connecting to my Iphone 5 at all. Once connected you can begin playing music through the unit itself and you can enjoy the light show.

The lights tend to only rotate when the music plays and depends upon the tempo of the music - the faster the tempo, the faster the lights move. The remote control will change the lighting mood and also control the volume as well as the music itself (play next/previous track). The remote has 9 buttons to control the lighting. The top left button (S) gives the most varied light show with flashing strobe effects and rotating lights but for slower or particular mood lighting you can use the numbered buttons which give dual toned mood lighting. The last 2 buttons give multicoloured lighting that rotate which are probably my favourite general settings. You can either leave it on the floor but could get trodden on or on a side table but the unit does have mounting holes for you to fix it to a wall or even on the ceiling but you need to consider the power cable length.

The sound quality is pretty good and will fill a large room quite happily with good bass and a full/rich sound and the volume of the unit is independent of your phone/tablet. With the unit volume on maximum and my phone on full blast, I would say that it would quite happily be used in a medium sized hall for a party however you may find that uses in large halls might be impractical. You can however MUTE the unit sound itself and use your own music system however.
All in all a really good lighting system for parties or events and covers a surprisingly wide area.

TECEVO FX3 AptX Bluetooth V4.0 Stereo Earphones With Handsfree Wireless Sports Headset - NFC Enabled - Ideal for use with Apple iTouch, iPad 1 2 3 4 Air iPhone 3 4 4s 5 5s 6 6Plus , HTC, Samsung Galaxy, LG, Nokia etc (FX3 Black)
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound and comfortable but different size earbuds not provided and a little annoying vocal indicators., 27 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tecevo really seem to be making a name for themselves in the audio industry and I have tried several of their bluetooth speakers which have been really good value for money as well a superb sound quality. These headphones are no different.
The headphones come packaged with a Micro USB to USB charging cable, a carry pouch and a smaller pair of ear hooks. Like most rechargeable devices now-a-days, it comes partly charged already so you can use it straight out of the box. The cables are cleverly tucked into the ear hooks to keep them out of the way and are flexible enough to be comfortable whatever you are wearing. The ear hooks can easily be changed to smaller ones which are conveniently provided by unclipping the cable from them and snapping the new ones in place. The earpieces themselves are well thought out and the right earpiece has the forward/back track buttons which also double as volume buttons as well as a call answer button which also doubles as a play/pause button. The left earpiece has the on/off switch and micro USB port to charge them.

The headphones were easy to connect to my Iphone 5 and sound was (as I expected from Tecevo) extremely clear and full. The 'in the ear' ear buds were comfortable in the ear however no other sizes of earbuds were provided unlike many other headphones. One thing I did find annoying though was the voice that talks to you when using the previous/next track buttons and there did not seem to be any way of switching this function off. Strangely no vocal functions were added to the play/pause button or when using the volume up/down (you need to press and hold the previous/next track buttons for the volume functions to work). I would have much preferred a short beep to indicate back track and double-beep for forwards rather than vocal indicators.

Rechargeable Mini Engraver 2
Rechargeable Mini Engraver 2
Offered by Fashion Topro

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK but no rubber base to prevent slipping, supplied with a 2 pin US plug and no attachments provided, 27 Feb. 2015
This mini engraver was supplied to me by the manufacturer in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I have used engravers before and own a Dremel corded engraver Dremel Hobby Engraver so was interested to see what this was like. First thing to point out (which is by no means a deal breaker) is that the engraver comes with a US 2 pin charger plug and not a standard UK plug. Not a problem but just something to note.

The other thing to note is that the engraver DOES NOT come with any attachments so you need to buy these yourselves. Pay particular attention to the attachment size as I initially bought the incorrect size and had to buy another one. I ended up with this set which worked perfectly 10pc diamond burr engraver engraving set rotary tool 150 grit 2.35mm shank TE631.

Once charged up, I tried the attachments which were simple to fit - You need to press and hold the metal pin at the base of the engraver and turn the head to unscrew and loosen the clamp, and then insert the attachment and reverse the procedure. The engraver has multiple speed settings which increase with each press of the power button and there are 6 settings. To turn it off, just press and hold the on/off button. The engraver sits comfortably in the hand however if you are engraving something delicate (like glass) or an intricate design, I would say that the engraver really needs a rubberised base to prevent it from slipping in your hand. I would have though that this would be a basic requirement but I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

There is something to be said for having a cordless engraver as this gives you a great deal of movement without inhibition of a cord. This engraver worked OK but you really need a rubber grip and for a UK market, a UK 3 pin plug. It's a huge shame that no attachments were provided at all especially given the high price tag. If you plan on using the engraver for things like wood, you may want to take a look at Dremel's engravers which have a 'hammer' type action and helps make a deeper engraving and cost over half as much.

HW-398-uk HUHD Xbox Fiber-optical Wireless 2014 Newest Model Premium Dolby Digital High Performance 2.4Ghz, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PC Noise Cancelling Gaming Headset, Detachable Microphone
Offered by Intone Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable sound and comfort but awful boom mic., 27 Feb. 2015
These headphones were provided to me by the manufacturer for a fair and honest review.

I am a hardcore gamer on the Xbox one and the Xbox 360 previously (the list goes on....) and a heavy online gamer. I dabble in PC gaming but not much nowadays. The headset comes neatly packaged together with the wireless receiver, optical cable to connect to your console for perfect audio quality, USB to Micro USB cable to power the receiver and audio cable to connect to your controller.
The headset itself is pretty comfortable however and the ear pieces are large enough to accommodate most ears. The head rest is also comfortable (unlike my old Turtle Beach ones XP400's that seemed to sit in the air). Connection was pretty simple to my Xbox and sound was clear reasonably good. Although the microphone looks good, I thought that this was the worst planned part of the headset. The microphone actually comes in the box detached and you need to plug it in which is simple enough however there is very little movement in it that actually holds - what I mean by this is that if you bend it towards your mouth, it will spring back out nearly to straight out again. Unlike my Turtle Beach headsets, the boom does not remain in position to where you actually want it to. My team could hear however which means it works but is far from ideal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20