Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Andrew Marriott > Reviews

Content by Andrew Marriott

Andrew Marriott "Andy" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
An Almond for a Parrot
An Almond for a Parrot
by Wray Delaney

4.0 out of 5 stars Great period magical fantasy s*x romp!, 15 Dec. 2016
This review is from: An Almond for a Parrot (Hardcover)
I came across this book reading various reviews of other similar magic/fantasy genre novels and was generally pleased that I did. I read it pretty much in one sitting so it definitely captured the imagination. What I liked most was the scene setting of the period, without the author having to go into mass detail about the landscape and environment. London in the 1700's was captured extremely well in her turn of phrase and the descriptions that we did get. Tully was a well formed and excellent host for the story throughout and I really wanted to find out how things turned out for her. Despite her profession, I think the book wouldn't have been the worse for a little toning down on the erotica side to be honest, and I'm not a prude by any means. It just felt at times like certain situations had been added in, in more graphic detail after the story had been fleshed out (pardon the pun), just to add the 'adult factor'. It certainly didn't spoil the book by any means, but I wouldn't have missed it had it not been there in so much detail. The magic and fantasy elements were introduced in a really clever way; the characters almost accepted their gifts without question and used them to great advantage which made for a satisfying conclusion. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in magic/fantasy period pieces with a fair amount of detailed naughtiness thrown in.

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child - Parts One and Two: The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production (Special Rehearsal Edition)
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a sript for a West End play, people, 18 Nov. 2016
I wonder how many people who are reviewing this script have actually seen the production itself? I would imagine that since the play is sold out solid for every performance until Christmas and with more tickets being released next week, more than likely through to next summer once again, that not everyone in the world who is able to buy the script has actually been to see the play.

I think to understand the story better, you have to remember the medium and the circumstance through which it is being told. As a piece of popular stage craft, much like Wicked or any of the other 'must see' options in London at the moment, Cursed Child had to fit in with that style of production. Much of the content of the most popular and long running shows around the world is not new or ground-breaking material. A re-telling of the Wizard of Oz story, or Charlie Bucket's rise to success etc etc is what people want to see. Something not too challenging and thoroughly entertaining throughout, which is what and why they are paying their money for.

Cursed Child does not push the boundaries of the HP canon for sure. It doesn't introduce too many new characters for us to fall in love with or be scared of, or hate. It is, however, thoroughly entertaining and extremely enjoyable in a way that many of the latter HP movies and indeed the books were not always capable of showing; rooted in telling the tale of the impending Battle of Hogwarts and for the wizarding world as they did.

Cursed Child is a West End play, about characters from the HP universe in a stand alone story that is exciting, funny and well worth the aggravation in getting hold of the tickets and the two days' of journeying to the theatre to watch. This book is simply the script for that show. Buy it if you want a memento of having seen the play, but don't criticise it as a piece of literary work as anything but what it is - a script for a play that most of you haven't even seen yet.

Alias Investigation NY Black T Shirt Large
Alias Investigation NY Black T Shirt Large
Offered by TeamZad

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Feb. 2016
Very cool!

Performance Knee Support Brace With Lateral Stabilisers Anti-Slip Design - Enhanced Comfort Helps With Patella Issues LCL/MCL Ligament Problems

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the packaging!, 12 Oct. 2015
this product supports my knee perfectly. Not too tight or too loose it manages to give me that added amount of support needed for me to be mobile enough in between trying to rest my knee problem. Being an Under 16 football coach I do need to be mobile during training and matches and I put this support to the test fully over the last weekend! I would recommend this product for people with knee ligament problems.

Joyoldelf Silicone Ice Tray Ice Cubes Molds for Star Wars Theme Style Lovers
Joyoldelf Silicone Ice Tray Ice Cubes Molds for Star Wars Theme Style Lovers

3.0 out of 5 stars Han Solo not appearing..., 7 Aug. 2015
The shaped ice cubes are great. You can clearly see what they are meant to be. As for Han Solo, prepare to be disappointed. The ice comes out in nice neat oblong shapes with no discernible character showing on them whatsoever. the only way I can see that you can get an idea of what it is would be to use coloured liquid in the tray. Other than that they are quite cool

Kitchen Craft Enamelled Cast Iron 23 cm Square Grill Pan
Kitchen Craft Enamelled Cast Iron 23 cm Square Grill Pan

1.0 out of 5 stars Why didnt i read the reviews and the instructions????, 7 Aug. 2015
I wanted a pan to cook meat that didn't need oil. I wanted a pan that was non stick and cleaned easily. I wish now that I had read the instructions and reviews on this before buying because it does neither. First of all you are supposed to sear the pan in oil all over in a hot oven, leaving, I would imagine, a coating of oil burned onto it. Of course I didn't do that. My food stuck. I washed the pan in water, without scrubbing, and found it rusty the next morning. After only one use. I read the instructions at that point and realised what I hadn't done and why this wasn't the pan I was looking for. I can't return it now it's been used, but it wont be used again and I now have to buy something that I really wanted all along. Either read the reviews, or make sure you know what you are getting or don't buy at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2015 1:47 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars but once built this is amazing and really impressive, 10 July 2015
Needed a degree in engineering to work out where everything went, but once built this is amazing and really impressive. I have at least three friends who asked where I bought it to get one for themselves.

Charles Bentley Garden Folding FSC Approved Eucalyptus Hardwood Beach Pair Of Deck Chairs - Cream Cloth (More Colours Available)
Offered by BuyDirect4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2015
Excellent quality and superbly comfortable

Azuma Black Dream Chair Swing Hammock Garden Furniture Sun Seat Relaxer / Canopy

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only garden chair you will ever want..., 10 July 2015
Would give this 10 stars if it were possible. I read a lot of reviews about this product before committing to buy, and the majority of them were positive and so I decided to go for it. Once I had the chair built (and believe me it does take some building - the only negative I have about the whole thing are the instructions which are so badly photocopied that you can't tell which bolt to use for which part), I was the first to try it out and felt immediately as though I were in an immersion tank. You float, you spin slowly in the breeze but above all you relax.
Later that day I couldn't get near the chair as we had some friends over for a barbecue and there was a constant line of people wanting to try it out. I cant wait for a quiet weekend when I can do it justice myself. I looked out this morning and even my cat was asleep in the chair. Unbelievably good quality and excellent value for money.

Jupiter Ascending [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Jupiter Ascending [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mila Kunis

1.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a warning...., 8 July 2015
Sadly being the sci fi nerd geek that I am and not taking other people's opinions into account, I read the few positive reviews of this movie on here and decided to part with my cash for a Blu Ray copy. The film arrived in no time and looks amazing on the cover. There's an advert for what looks like a fantastic Will Smith movie included. Unfortunately that's where my enjoyment ended. Jupiter Ascending is possibly the most confused and confusing, overblown, undercooked, underdeveloped, badly scripted and acted, most expensive waste of two hours that I have ever sat through. I did sit through the entire movie, just to let the amazing special effects wash over me and the incredible set pieces be fully absorbed. And then it was over and I didn't feel the slightest bit different than I had before it started other than a sense of total loss. Of my time, and my money, and my sense. Seriously do not be fooled by anyone who reviews this movie at more than one star (I would have given it less if possible). I have watched other so-called box office disasters; the latest being John Carter, which was a million times more enjoyable, understandable and all-round entertaining than this. If you want a film that is a grand space opera with some humour, a bit of romance and a lot of big name actors then I would rent or buy a copy of Dune and the Fifth Element and watch them back to back. Run, do not walk, away from this movie... you have been warned

Page: 1 | 2 | 3