Profile for June > Reviews

Gimme Shelter [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Vanessa Hudgens
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars "Gimme Shelter" . Does shelter exist ? ", 3 July 2016
This review is from: Gimme Shelter [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Just viewed this film ; and I was looking for clichés and had a cynical frame of mind as I watched it unfold. To my surprise, there was nothing
typical about this typical teenage crisis situation ; that is to say, the script was well-paced with plenty of twists and turns and did not get bogged down
with tiresome dialogue. In my opinion, it was an above- average film drama both in script and acting which were natural and realistic.
There were enough tender moments to soften the most hard-hearted, and yet, the film could not be labeled: sentimental.
It targeted all age groups because of its theme , but, perhaps, we are so de-sensitized by the bizarre and extreme films coming our way on the news-media and for so-called entertainment . . . that when normal, everyday crises and regular behaving people appear on screen . . . we think that they must have a political agenda! or that their manners must conform to our own ideas and social expectations . I couldn't fault this film. There were many selfish and unselfish people portrayed who were both confrontational and aggressive; or quietly trying to help Apple out of her own confusion! This story was more compact than a "soap-opera" and told a story of a young girl in a direct, no-nonsense portrayal with empathy and , also, with objectivity! Straightforward enough ! Apple's character was that of a quiet personality, very taciturn and many in the drama insisted upon contributing their solutions to solve her problems their way ! This led to the tension and was emotive and engaging all the way through.
The film was a " breath of fresh air" for me . I highly recommend it.

Nasty Baby [DVD]
Nasty Baby [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sebastián Silva

1.0 out of 5 stars This should have been entitled: not "Nasty Baby" but "Poor Baby " ( a film about " low life " experimentating with nature !), 6 May 2016
This review is from: Nasty Baby [DVD] (DVD)
The film was uncomfortably detailed and clinical in a way that we don't need to view. It was down to earth .There was a plot. The people in the film
who were the main characters were so immature and were fearful,and gentle YET moral cowards, as well, but, the whole situation was bizarre and horrible, their lives were so disordered that it was a relief to see the end of it. . . It was slummy.
The viewing experience was like watching small children play with matches or guns . . . you know that the result will be very destructive.. . or watching a falling- down drunk get behind the wheel of a car. That is how stupid and silly the characters were who acted the different roles when a crisis hit them. The fact that they lived in the great metropolis of New York City, seemed to cover any kind of socially small criminal behavior.
When anyone of the characters criticized the main personalities, they were told to keep quiet, as though these immature children in
adult bodies were somehow too special to be treated in a normal way. They wanted the politically correct super supportive handling !
One thing is to deal with the issues surrounding homosexual lives , however, another is though they cried after killing the irritating person
who provoked them, it didn't seem consequential for them to murder him, (oops! a little bit of a spoiler, here, but ,needful ) as long as they were not caught ! Instead of calling an ambulance :311 to try and save life, they panicked and cooly murdered . . . to convenience themselves . . . How immoral is that ? Disgusting morality ! Their sorrow was whining, childish hysteria and helplessness .The woman so-called doctor did nothing at the point of crisis except scrubbed and disinfected away the signs of DNA ! Don't waste your time or money investigating the film which is crude , and indelicate all the way through. . . The nasties were the producers with their screwed up perspective on life and people! Birthing is a sacred act of dignity , an expression of love between a man and a woman . . .Two men can't biologically have a baby ! It is not natural ! Two woman cannot have a baby either. Nature is nature ! Nothing to admire in this film . . . a lot of hugging and FALSE affection and stupidity . . . The main character was attacked with a knife and the attacker was already trespassing and was in the wrong so the main man could have tried to save the yet still living attacker, by calling an ambulance. as the main man was not guilty ! Yet, instead, he was whining "like a chicken without a head" and wept and then . . he deliberately and reolutely/cooly murdered the helpless attacker with a piece of plastic ! It was cooly done and out of character and ruined the film and there was no follow up or resolution but an abrupt end . . .Amateurish . not thought through . . . A big waste of time !

White Fang [DVD]
White Fang [DVD]
Dvd ~ Klaus Maria Brandauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Is An Adventure, 5 April 2016
This review is from: White Fang [DVD] (DVD)
Very entertaining film. The young hero was a fine model for youth to follow. The sound quality and technology of the film was excellent. The photography was wonderful. The film had a interesting storyline. I was satisfied enough to research the web on the life of Jack London on Wikipedia.
I gathered that Jack London excelled in his short story writing and was master of this genre. He was a vital man who loved adventure and
nature and this is reflected in his work. He said of his lifestyle that he would "rather be ashes than dust".

Merciless Ladies
Merciless Ladies
by Winston Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Mercilessly Gripping Thriller!", 6 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Merciless Ladies (Paperback)
I underestimated this story at first . . .because, it started in a low-key sort of way. I had a worn, old "Fontana" paperback copy, but, bought the book for the typically excellent writing of Winston Graham and a good story line . . . here, sub-story lines ! There was the geographical shift, as well as the drama, which made the story so convincing and real. It is told with such relevant detail and humor that helped to make it all so believable. The author used scene shifts: from British (London) in town- art- galleries and apartments, to formal courtroom, to ocean voyage, to north country scene and then back to town (London) ; he had excellent ability to use color,and the power of suggestion ,in order to heighten and appeal to our senses and enrich our reading experience. He portrays , vividly, the psychological feelings of the characters involved and that really places us, as readers closely connected to his people in the story. His description of the sea voyage , alone, was well worth the time to read it ! and was nearly a separate dramatic adventurous experience in itself!
When I bought the book, I did not realize that I was in for such a treat and was very pleasantly surprised !

Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Breaking Bad - Season 5* [DVD + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

1.0 out of 5 stars "The Fifth Season Breaking Bad" ONLY HALF THE SEASON!, 12 Jun. 2013
" WONDERFUL PRODUCTION BUT MISLEADING MARKETING OF ` BREAKING BAD'"

This series is a wonderful, televised, story-telling, produced and created and written by Vince Gilligen! HOWEVER , for this price , the first four seasons delivered all the 16 season's episodes! So, in good faith , I PRE-ORDERED : THE FIFTH SEASON but unfortunately , received just the first eight episodes in the mail! ONE HALF OF THE SEASON is missing.

I read a review of the fifth season on WIKIPEDIA and found out that I was ripped off! and short 8 episodes . . .

I am really disappointed and was also somewhat left in the air on episode eight!. . . as it was evident with the 8th episode that there was more to come. . . it is unsolved and pointless to end where it did.

I don't blame the product or the producers but I blame the SNEAKY, MISLEADING MARKETING of this product! NO WHERE on my BOX RECEIVED , does it say that I have only 1-8 episodes of: Season 5 . . .
HALF . . .is missing! I noticed the new boxes advertised have "episode one to eight" printed on the front !
My copy is misleading and cost the same as though it were all 16 episodes!
No doubt, later on during the next 2 years, there will be the 16 episodes sold on DVD for the same price as the copy of the 8 episodes I received.
(The same thing happened RECENTLY to me for Season 15 of: "The Complete Season of Midsomer Murders" for which I paid DOUBLE compared to "The Complete Season 14 of Midsomer Murders" !) Perhaps, this is a new but bad policy, now. . . selling half seasons instead of the whole seasons of series !. . . and for a higher price?
I think the buyer should be very " wary" & watch out for tricky dealing and look at the reviews of other people for the product review before buying it. June E.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2013 7:13 PM BST

Spud (2010) (Blu-Ray)
Spud (2010) (Blu-Ray)
Dvd ~ John Cleese
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Dog's Life", 17 May 2012
This review is from: Spud (2010) (Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
This is an excellent film about a boy's boarding school with John Cleese in the role of English teacher among some very skillful but not well-known actors.
In the film the influential english teacher has his career at the school under control but is losing his grip on his personal life.

The presentation has to do with us as human beings, our choices , how they effect us & our fellow creatures. There is just the right amount of subtitly to make it palatable for all ages. If you like people this film is for you. Perhaps , even if you don't like them. It has a satisfying ending .
I enjoyed it because it is more original than I thought it would be at first glance at the cover and it unfolded as a moving and humorous drama!

The film though humorous dares to have some depth and ruminate the larger questions of life without becoming laborious.

This film contains relevant concerns current in our media , today and in a very digestable mix. It will "guaranteed" hold your interest with its
everyday routines . . . nothing spectacular in a boy's school . . . The story telling by film is done skillfully, the acting is realistic and convincing, the plot has a
drive to it which keeps you wanting more. I warmly recommend this film to everyone young at heart.

June Dahl

Crampton Hodnet
Crampton Hodnet

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong language! /Promising, skillful authoress/, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Crampton Hodnet (Paperback)
Wrong Language: WARNING ! Don't do as I DID but as I say : READ THE PRODUCT DETAILS CAREFULLY! Barbara Pym writes very well and the book looks

very promising with a good synopsis. I have read 7 of her books already!! HOWEVER, I CERTAINLY DON'T READ ITALIAN AND NORWEGIANS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO
SELL their books , though why, I have only to guess that it is something to do with: money exchange. Remember: "PRODUCT DETAILS" your "account" doesn't
give the language it is written in! It is a very easy mistake to make!

There is hopefully ,certainly,? nobody else who is so careless or stupid as NOT TO READ THE PRODUCT DETAILS! . . .except me this one time and I have been a happy shopper for themost part at AMAZON:

I wasted 18 GBP combined with postage costs to NORWAY! & learned an expensive lesson!

I was saving this book and didn't even look inside so sure was I, that an Italian translation of a British authoress/ paperback of Barbara Pym's would NOT be grouped together with the english books!

Yes, READ THE PRODUCT DETAILS and take nothing in this world forgranted, if you want to avoid "kicking yourself" after you find out your mistake.

On the account info though, and I ordered from Great Britain, there is no language information and the summary was in english. An Italian translation label
on the account, seeing as the authoress was a confirmed British subject, would/could have heightened my awareness, I think. Ho-hum! "Cést la vie!" (That's French)

Nevertheless, in Norway, in Halden there are no Italians that I know of who would appreciate this as a gift!Norwegians learn French and German at school and ENGLISH.

I would have rather donated the money to "Doctors Without Boarders"! A few hundred Norwegian Crowns go a long way to helping the dying in need. :-) J.D.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fine book!, 20 Jan. 2012
Stumbled on this author and this book by accident!

What a wonderful style of writing this author has!

What a good understanding of real marital love and the human condition that this author possessed.

This is a fascinating portrayal of married love, and of many people who could are possibly very bored and seek some misbehavior and mischief to put and ingredient of excitement into their otherwise DULL everyday existence! No human is above "ennui" at times! We can all get bored with routine even tho'
routine is essential in life . There isn't any protection against boredom or any PERFECT existence! There is YING and YANG/ positive and negative.

Oh! the intelligence and wisdom of Mrs. Ames! She saved her own marriage and saved her husband's real happiness and was a heroine in the
truest sense of the word. She had real integrity and strength and was willing to sacrifice her own immediate feelings of pleasure, her ego for her ideals and eventually ,the happiness of her husband.

A beautiful novel!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars " Gentle, excellent shampoo!", 20 Jan. 2012
This product leaves my hair sweet- smelling, voluminous, SHINY and wavy for a few days at a time! This cannot be said for other products.
The water where I live works well with this product but I have used this shampoo in continents where the water is not friendly to human needs and
my hair still reacts well to this shampoo.

It is a very personal product and each person has different oils and their own DNA substances which interact with shampoos but for me , this product is
great!

Excellent Women (Virago Modern Classics)
Excellent Women (Virago Modern Classics)
by Barbara Pym

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful yet realistic fiction!, 20 Jan. 2012
Liked and enjoyed this read. It was written in an autobiographical form although it is fiction. The characterizations were very convincing. It was
sufficiently detailed to involve the reader and though a quiet book without murder, thrills or super- drama was an adventure into the life of a positive,
human being whose only social fault/handicap was not to have been married .
We control our destiny to a certain extent but not entirely. Some of us don't want to aggressively FORCE our destiny and are refined & delicate about it.

This heroine was a lady (for better or for worse) and didn't use FORCE to get answers even to life's great questions. The fictional heroine was sensitive to others social (& otherwise their) needs. This earmarks her social value throughout the book: her wonderful awareness of others feelings.
Barbara Pym can be ironic but leaves something up to the READERS'intelligence to ponder. Neither the authoress nor the heroine try to force their view onto the READER. However, the atmosphere of the 1950's social values is well- defined and the social pressure on the otherwise ,well-balanced major character,
Mildred, is treated realistically without Mildred's loosing her own personality in the social fray. Mildred is so aware that she is cast into an unwanted
social role, yet, she accepts this humiliation with equinimity and continues to be the "excellent" perhaps , today, we would say "goody 2 shoes" place in
society because she genuinely BELIEVES in it and is, not herself, a CYNIC!

Page: 1 | 2