Profile for Skylark > Reviews

The Childhood of a Leader
The Childhood of a Leader
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthy but too simple., 13 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Childhood of a Leader (DVD)
The message is worthy: badly behaved and poorly disciplined children mature into badly behaved adults. But this film does little more than show you a monstrous child for five sixths of its duration, and then ends by showing you the arrival of monstrous adult leader, much in the mould of Adolf Hitler, at a fascist rally. There's nothing more to this film than this.

Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words
Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 13 Aug. 2017
A whole disc of the Songs Without Words is too saccharine, but this disc is interspersed with less sugary but compatible pieces, and that makes the whole recital a delight, in addition to the superb playing and the excellent technical recording of the sound.

Mulholland Drive
Mulholland Drive
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time., 13 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Mulholland Drive (DVD)
This film begins well, you feel that a horror is to unfold, then about two thirds of the way through there is a lesbian sex scene and following that scene the plot twists inexplicably and ridiculously, so that you realize your time has been completely wasted.

The Greatest Hits
The Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic of Venturini!, 14 Jun. 2017
This review is from: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Venturini's voice is magical and unique, and he uses it superbly. In addition there is the magic of the melodies. I can listen to both discs in this fine set and never tire of Venturini's voice. Also the recording quality is excellent.

Liszt; 19 Hungarian Rhapsodies
Liszt; 19 Hungarian Rhapsodies

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Stunning Discs!, 14 Jun. 2017
This CD offers utterly gripping and remarkable performances of the Hungarian Rhapsodies by Misha Dichter. There are many points when you sit astounded by the complete control Dichter has over the music. He drives it! He truly channels Liszt. And the quality of the recordings are superb. A fine piano, excellent acoustics, and superb recording engineers have produced two extraordinary discs.

3x Men Women Polarized Polarizer Polarizing Sunglasses Myopia Night Vision Glasses Convenient Clip-on Mirror
Offered by PANDA COS

4.0 out of 5 stars Tinted plastic with clips., 14 Jun. 2017
Each pair has a sticker on a lens saying "Polarized". Potential customers should know this means nothing more than the following: these clip-ons offer nothing more than clear tinted plastic, and of course the tinting alters the quality of the light which is received by your eye. It is this alteration which causes THE LIGHT (received by the eye) to be polarized, i.e. changed in quality. Therefore it is incorrect of the manufacturer to claim that THE LENSES themselves "have been polarized" (or "polarized" for short), or subjected to any scientific process - other than the clear plastic having been tinted.

My 3 pairs have arrived without any cleaning cloths, although that is not a problem.

For just under £5 they're good value, although I can see I am going to have to treat them delicately.

Unfortunately the 2 rubber feet (which sit against the inside of the lenses of your actual spectacles) do intrude onto my spectacle lenses by about .75 of a centimeter, and are therefore visible to the eye, but this is unavoidable.

I should also add that my 3 pairs arrived in an envelope postmarked "Thailand", which explains why they took a month to appear since the day I placed the order.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Fellow-reviewer "Richard" (see his review at the link below) does not accept that these inexpensive clip-on "sun-glasses" are simply pieces of transparent but tinted plastic. He has posted photos which he says support his claim that these particular lenses have been created by the scientific process of "polarization". Richard says that when polarized lenses are placed one on top of the other, but at right angles, then light cannot pass through them.

However, purchasers of these lenses should observe the two photos I am posting here, showing light passing through two of the pairs of "polarized" lenses regardless of their being positioned one on top of the other but at right angles to each other, thus proving that these lenses are simply made from transparent but tinted pieces of plastic. I repeat that I have given these lenses a 4-star review because they are effective at reducing or muting the amount of light that the eyes receives.

It should also be noted that Richard first commented on my review on 20 June 2017, when he said he would buy a further set, test them, and then post a video of his test. Richard has written saying that he received his further pair on 26 June 2017, meaning that Richard would have received his new pairs from Thailand within SIX days of having ordered them. However, my Amazon Orders page shows that I placed my order on 27 May 2017, and I reviewed my lenses on the day I received them, 14 June 2017, meaning it took 18 days for my lenses to arrive in the UK from Thailand, which is not unreasonable given the distance.

It should also be noted that Richard promised to post a video of his test of his new lenses, but he has not. Richard wrote, "I have ordered another set and will test these on arrival and will post a video showing the results."

Richard's review, and his "proof" that these lenses "have been polarized" can be seen by way of the following link:

I also attach a copy of Richard's "proof" that these lenses are truly polarized: a photo in which he says placing two of the lenses at right-angles to each other, one on top of the other, completely blocks out the light. See Richard's photo taken in a conservatory showing complete blackness where the lenses overlap. Then look at what you see if the gamma is turned up on Richard's photo: some strange black markings are revealed.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2017 6:33 PM BST

Nemasys vine weevil killer standard pack
Nemasys vine weevil killer standard pack
Offered by green gardener

1.0 out of 5 stars Swansea University researchers find nematode packs are often "half-dead"!, 2 Jun. 2017
We have used this product three times since last summer (2016) and it has not eradicated vine weevils from our containers. Instead some of our shrubs have been killed by their roots having been badly attacked by the grubs. So we purchased replacement shrubs, and after taking the dead ones out we examined the soil (which the Nemasys nematodes should have rid of vine weevil grubs) and we found MANY white wriggling grubs! That was a month ago. Now young weevils are appearing on the leaves, obviously having developed in the soil. This should not be happening after THREE applications of Nemasys nematodes!

P.S. Copy and paste the following phrase into a Search Engine, and see that researchers at Swansea University have found that many nematodes in commercially-sold packets are DEAD!!!!!! This explains why Nemasys nematodes have FAILED to solve our problem.

"Results showed that of three different commercially available products tested, showed some where far more effective than others – and in one case more than a third of the nematodes in a 50 million pack were dead."

I think Nemasys is making a mint out of loads of old lard!

"BugClear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer" drench also hasn't worked. It's a drench that proved too harsh. Our plants reacted badly too it.

We're looking for a strong and effective spray-on systemic insecticide. Please comment if you know of one.

(Note: this review won't be marked as "Verified Purchase" because my partner purchased it, not me.)

BugClear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer Insecticide
BugClear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer Insecticide
Offered by Dixons Discount Warehouse LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Very harsh on the root system of our plants., 2 Jun. 2017
My partner purchased this (hence not "Verified Purchase") and we found it to be very harsh on the shrubs in our containers. Two weeks later they all looked dry and growth had stopped. So we stopped using the product. Nevertheless it should have had some effect on the weevil population, but it didn't.

We have spent a fortune on Nemasys nematodes and are wondering if they're just supplying us with inactive material, as after several applications we have found living grubs in the container when replacing some of the shrubs that the grubs have killed off!

We're now looking for an effective spray. "BugClear Ultra Gun" contains the same stuff as "BugClear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer" but at a lower concentration. We are finding it makes the weevils dozy at least, so that when we shake them off the bushes each night they are unable to quickly run before we grab them and squash the life out of them.

There's a spray product available in the USA called Safari, containing Dinotefuran, which targets Vine Weevils, but it's very expensive to buy from the UK.

Any help would be appreciated!

Recycle Bin Slate/Green 25L by Wham
Recycle Bin Slate/Green 25L by Wham
Offered by RUBY DEALS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent waste-paper bin., 2 Jun. 2017
Stylish, discreet, and voluminous.

TTO Luxury Soft Touch Hollowfibre Cushion Inner Pads Filler Extra Filled White Fiber (Pack of 2, 16" Round)
Offered by Textileonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile., 2 Jun. 2017
Excellent value. Good shape. Not lumpy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12