Profile for Ricardo B. > Reviews

The C# Player's Guide
The C# Player's Guide
by RB Whitaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to C#, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The C# Player's Guide (Paperback)
A very nice concise introduction to the language covering the basics and presenting many advance topics. Usefull exercises to cement the knowledge and well written.

After this one you'll be ready for a more in-depth book, but I doubt you'll ever be lost while looking at the language.

The Bicycle Thieves [DVD] [1948]
The Bicycle Thieves [DVD] [1948]
Dvd ~ Lamberto Maggiorani
Offered by The_Entertainment _Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film; awful subtitles, 16 Aug. 2010
This film is incredible in every way and I highly recommended it.

However, when it comes to subtitles, I'm beginning to understand Americans aversion to them. This dvd's English subtitles are of the worst possibly quality, missing more than half of the lines and offering the translation in completely wrong timing - something I have never found in subtitles of my own language.
If it wasn't for the fact that, as a Portuguese speaker, I can understand Italian well enough to compensate for the missing subtitles, I wouldn't even have finished watching it.

This is not the first time I've encountered bad English subtitles. However, these were so terrible they were either made by a child or someone extremely lazy.

Also, on the back it reads "Too poor to by another, he and his son...". Noticed the typo? That's on the backcover.
edit: Another problem I just noticed: it says running time 143min, but the movie is close to 90 minutes long.

The image quality is fine, but make no mistake, this is a terrible edition. If you can, buy a different version.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2011 9:18 AM BST

WATCHMEN TP
WATCHMEN TP
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique experience which becomes an extraordinary vision., 3 July 2009
This review is from: WATCHMEN TP (Paperback)
I have just put down my copy of the book after 4 hours of non-stop reading and with all its ideas still racing through my head I feel like I must begin by the end-by strongly recommending it.

I won't spoil the plot, but I feel like even if I did it wouldn't matter, because the value of this book lies on the exploration of the medium(the way the story is told) and on the ideas it contains.

The tale is so richly illustrated and the details slowly add to an incredible vision of the world. Also, the care for the psychological profiling of the characters more than make up for the improbability of the masked superheros/incredible technology, allowing even an unimaginative reader to be completely absorbed by it.

All in all, this is great fiction in a sometimes undervalued medium.

As for the movie, haven't seen it yet, but a completely faithful adaptation seems unlikely to be possible, so make sure you read before you watch "The Watchmen".

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A review from a non-audiophile, 20 Aug. 2008
I had never been a fan or had headphones, always preferring earphones.
But I decided to go for better sound for music, gaming and movies. I also wear glasses and am extremely picky about my comfort levels(which is why I had never gone for headphones before).

Well, as soon as I put the sennheiser 555's on my head I knew I had made the right choice. They are VERY confortable with glasses and easily forgetable without them.
The sound didn't surprise me at first-it was good but not great- but that has all changed with only a few hours of play. I can only imagine what a few more dozen hours of burn-in will do for the sound.

When listening to music it feels as if the band is right in front of you, but the sound resonates all around you. I find myself experiencing songs I've heard many times in a whole different way, hearing "hidden" sounds with a frightening clarity.

I am wearing them right now, listening to pink floyd's "young lust" and I just don't feel like turning the music off.

They are amazing to watch movies, because they give a very desirable surround feel("Lawrence of Arabia", anyone?)

Don't have much to compare with, but I am very, very happy with this product and strongly advise it. I doubt you will find better for the price range(this is a bargain for the quality).

PS: also, the cable just happens to be the exact size needed for free movement around my little home office.

The Taking
The Taking
by Dean Koontz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a poor ending, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Taking (Paperback)
I read this book about a year ago and I remember the scary vivid mental pictures that the book depicts. It has an amazing beggining and as we follow along the main characters we are as surprised as they are on every development.

The book is well written and an easy and entertaining read, unfortunately the ending even tough pretty, doesn't live up to the rest of the book.
Nevertheless, if you like Koontz and/or supernatural horror genre, than you will appreciate "The taking".

The Face
The Face
by Dean Koontz

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat stereotypical characters but a compelling read, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Face (Paperback)
Having only "The Taking" as a point of reference, I would say this is a good Dean Koontz book.
It is a big book and sometimes you feel like there are overly detailed moments that could easily be removed, but Koontz writing is never wrong and he times the surprises well enough to supress all the boring moments.

Koontz doesn't explore the psyche of his characters like Stephen King does, which may be why they are called two-dimensional by many readers, but in reality Koontz provides sheer entertaining and compelling reading, by exploring the scenes and filling them with beatifully placed details.
In this book I felt myself sometimes drifting away from the story, but more often than not I would stump in some unusual event that would immediatly get my attention back.

This is not an horrifying piece of literature, altough it has some horrifying moments, but it is has some interesting characters in some strange conditions well written enough to make it a more than a worthy read.