Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

GB Eye Mini Poster Frame, 40 x 50cm, Black
GB Eye Mini Poster Frame, 40 x 50cm, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars As you'd expect!, 5 Dec. 2012
We bought a couple of these frames and are perfectly happy with them.

Simple and clean, the quality isnt great, especially close up (but since they arent expensive frames it's hard to complain about that!) - on the wall itself they look exactly as we expected them to, so think its a good price for what you get.

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor besotted Patroclus!, 21 July 2012
This is the story of Achilles told from the perspective of Patroclus, it looks at the relationship of the two and takes you from their childhood through to the Trojan war. I can't claim to have read a lot of books in this genre, so I approached this book just from having enjoyed reading the more well-known Greek mythology stories in the past and I'm not sure if that helped or hindered me.

The Pros:
* It's hard to go wrong with the strong, established characters that the author got to use for this story. Most will know the story of Achilles, and I liked this version of him (proud but justifiably so) but I was particularly keen on how Agamemnon(and even Menelaus) were portrayed in the book.
* It's an accessible way to enjoy a classic Greek tale(albeit with a few of the author's spins!)You can enjoy this story without having to have read similar things in the past, or without needing to break down each sentence to work out what's going on.
* The story at its heart is a good and enjoyable one. It's well written and you're involved in the story which can be exciting. I finished this quickly because I didn't want to put it down.

The Cons:
* Patroclus constantly gushing and fawning over Achilles grew very tiresome and irritating, very quickly. Unfortunately there's a lot of this and it took away from my enjoyment of the book a little.
* The relationship between Patroclus and Achilles. Hear me out - I accept that I knew what I was going to read when I bought this book! However, just because they were lovers in the book doesn't mean you can't also write a good friendship. I think some of the friendship elements were lost to further the romantic story. What this resulted in was Patroclus gushing over Achilles for what felt like pages at a time, rather than establishing a solid foundation for their relationship.

The Bottom Line:
I'd recommend it, but not rave about it. Just be warned - if you read this you need to be prepared for lots of descriptions of the wonder of Achilles courtesy of poor besotted Patroclus.

Perfect People
Perfect People

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but just an OK execution, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Perfect People (Kindle Edition)
I liked the sound of this book and who can argue with the price! It's all about a couple that lose their child due to a hereditary genetic disease and so they go to a geneticist who promises he can stop their next child ever having the disease. Inevitably, it turns out he can change a lot more than just that but that's the whole point of the book so I won't spoil it!

The Pros:
- This book starts strong - the meeting with the geneticist was interesting and makes you start wondering about the ethics of the process from very early on.
- The idea itself is good, it's handled well - making you question the same things the characters are at several points in the book (should they do it / what should they do next). At its core it's a good thriller which makes you keep reading and turning the page.
- Creepy - there's moments that were very eerie and well written. A lot of it you had to buy into the story and suspend belief but once you did that it was creepy!

The Cons:
- Clunky character moments - sometimes the characters seem to do things to further the story regardless of how inappropriate and un-character like it seemed (e.g. getting ridiculously drunk while doing an important interview about your department while you're being considered for tenure).
- A little predictable - not always but sometimes there were moments that just left me as a reader thinking why did the story go exactly where you'd expect (e.g. the ending, purchasing a pet [NB: never good], the geneticist's motives).
- The end - well not just the end, the build up & the reveal were both a little much for me. The book definitely started stronger than it ended. Having to suspend belief happened more and more often as the story progressed and the end fizzled out into predictability.

The Bottom Line:
Good potential and at the Kindle price it's worth a read. It's quite addictive reading if you like that sort of book (I think I finished it in a day) but it's a shame that the second half didn't seem to match the first half of the book for me.

The Glimpse
The Glimpse

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read!, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Glimpse (Kindle Edition)
I saw the book description and it seemed like the sort of thing I'd be interested in so I thought I'd give it a go and I'm really glad I did (despite a few early misgivings). There's a bunch of descriptions out there so I'll keep mine brief - it's the future, it's London and society is separated into "the Crazies" (those identified with the genes which result in them having a mental illness)- who are kept heavily medicated, and segregated and "Pures" (those without the genes) - who live in luxury. Ana is the daughter of the man who devised the tests that separated the "Pures" from the "Crazies" and the story follows her.

The Pros:
- The dystopian society the author has created is fascinating, well thought out and completely plausible which makes it all the more terrifying
- Some really good characters - it's really Ana's journey and she changes the most along the way, without spoilers it's hard to say why, but her attitude changes throughout the book and it's good to read and your journey as a reader seems to mirror hers. Some of the smaller characters are also really interesting, I found myself liking Lila and Tamsin but didn't get to find out too much about them, so maybe next book!
- Ana & Cole - I liked their dynamic and relationship. Not exactly ground breaking or new but still really compelling and I enjoyed their moments together in the book.
- It's addictive - I bought this and kept reading over the course of 2 days until I finished (very annoying when work got in the way!). It gets really good and the ending leaves you wanting to read more about this society and the characters in it.

The Cons:
- The beginning is a bit clunky, a lot of info & exposition so it didn't grab me but you should stick with it as it picks up quite quickly.
- There are moments you have to suspend your belief more than just a little - such as the lawyer/court moments with Ana. There aren't too many of them but they don't do the book any favours...
- The technology - although sometimes quite interesting, I found some of the new technology described, a bit confusing and hard to picture. I guess if it's turned into a movie my very limited imagination will have a little help!!

The Bottom Line:
Maybe the biggest con of all is this has only just been released so I have to wait for the next one! Well worth a read!

Vixen Phoenix and the Everknights
Vixen Phoenix and the Everknights
by Lewis Ambrose

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Exciting Read!, 26 May 2010
I've just finished reading Vixen Phoenix and the Everknights and I couldn't put it down! The book opens with an amazing back-story which immediately draws you into the kingdom of Evershine that the author has created. You get to follow the Everknights through their trials as they try to save their kingdom and the action never stops throughout the book. It's definitely a book where you finish one chapter and need to read the next one to see how it continues.

The book encompasses such a wide range of locations and characters that you're never bored but it does well to still ensure that despite the many characters you are still invested in the main Everknights of the story, and I continually found myself rooting for them amidst all the problems they encountered. There's also lots of character development which made for interesting reading while remaining believable but I would have loved to see more character back-stories within the book.

I definitely think this is an interesting and very accessible book for young people who will find not only the world, but the characters and story fun and exciting. I still feel that this book has appeal for adults as well though as I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I am hoping that the next instalment in this series won't be too far away!