Profile for MarCar > Reviews

Content by MarCar

MarCar

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
From Zero to Sixty on Hedge Funds and Private Equity: What They Do, How They Do It, and Why They Do The Mysterious Things They Do

3.0 out of 5 stars Content was instructive, writing was amateurish, 10 Jun. 2017
All in all I know more than before I read this book, so it was worth it. It seems though to have been written. In a rush by a very inexperienced author. At times almost childish...

Premium Rush
Premium Rush
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Premium Rush (Amazon Video)
this is an awful lot of nonsense....

Dolphin Tale 2
Dolphin Tale 2
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but the first one was better, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Dolphin Tale 2 (Amazon Video)
Good but the first one was better. Still inspiring though

Happy Pet Empty Nester - Mallard Dog Toy
Happy Pet Empty Nester - Mallard Dog Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars great toys, 7 Feb. 2015
I bought a few of these and they are great toys. My dog loves them (or hates them, not really sure, but she keeps playing with them!). Only minor issue I had with this one is that the fur tends to get tarnished quite quickly.

Happy Pet Look Who'S Talking - Chimp Dog Toy
Happy Pet Look Who'S Talking - Chimp Dog Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog loves this toy, 5 Nov. 2013
Or she hates it....regardless, she plays with it all day long. Quality is good as she's been having the time of her life with it for a few weeks now and the toy does not seem to tear.

Teach Yourself Finance for Non-Financial Managers in a Week
Teach Yourself Finance for Non-Financial Managers in a Week
by Roger Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful intro to the topic., 5 Nov. 2013
I have read many of this type of books. I was impressed by how much useful info was packed into this one. The author write in a clear and jargon-free style, which makes it easier to understand the many concepts covered. Now with the negative points: the whole books is roughly 120 pages and, naturally, the author has had to make many compromises to stay within such a small page-count. The lack of detail limits the depth of the discussion and hence the quality of the book itself. Although, the title clearly defines the target audience, i.e. non-financial managers (who normally don't need/want to get a degree in management accounting but rather are satisfied with a general overview of the topic). I also found the daily exercises rather simplistic and sometime just plain silly. That having been said, I have learned something from this book and I would therefore recommend it to others needing to better understand business finance.

Rosewood Wag-n-Walk Lead Star, 3/4-inch, Black/ Hot Pink
Rosewood Wag-n-Walk Lead Star, 3/4-inch, Black/ Hot Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 25 Oct. 2013
This is a simple product but it is very well made. Very sturdy and nice product. Highly recommend it to anyone.

BBD 14-16-inch Studded Leather Collar, Red
BBD 14-16-inch Studded Leather Collar, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 25 Oct. 2013
This is beautiful and well made. Leather is genuine and quality is good. Very sturdy product. Highly recommend to anyone

59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot
59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot
by Richard Wiseman

2.0 out of 5 stars I have a bit more knowledge than before but it's knowledge that I am not sure I know how to use., 25 Oct. 2013
I found the book a bit "strange". I wanted to like it since page 1. But, in the end, i did not manage. The book basically originates from the author's lack of appreciation for the many self-help books out there. This author being an academic, he starts from the un-stated assumption that reviewing academic articles published in scientific journals is bound to yeld better results than whatever other approach is followed by other self-help-book authors (my apologies to the author if my understanding is wrong). Although the research makes up for an interesting reading, I could not find one single clear and sound idea that I could take and act upon to improve myself (something which on the other hand i could easily do after reading other maybe less academically researched books). Also, I found a lot of the research cited to be rather poorly analysed and contextualised. More disappointingly, I personally think there are far too many instances where the author deduce questionable causal relationships and generalisations from previous research outcomes. In the end, this book gave me the equivalent intellectual fix of any "top-10 little known facts" lists one can find in the popular press. And yet, i have a 2D:4D ratio of 0.95!!!! Oh no, wait, that means that most probably I can bench press 11 more kgs than you! (ok, that was a bit cheesy and the author does not deserve that as, in the end, this is a serious book, just not one which convinced me).

What Got You Here Won't Get You There: The graphic edition
What Got You Here Won't Get You There: The graphic edition
by Marshall Goldsmith

2.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing format but good ideas, 25 Oct. 2013
I bought this book in a rush, thinking it was the full version. When I got it, I was surprised to see it is in fact a comic. I must admit the comic idea enticed me initially. Having read the whole thing in less than 15 minutes I have concluded that the comic format is not for me. I am sure it works for somebody but I personally have found it distracting. Also, I admire the author's ability to synthetise his larger body of work down to just a few comic strips. Probably due to my relative young interest in this discipline though, I need more substance to truly appreciate whether or not I am learning important lessons from what I read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3