Profile for Bfamily > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 91

Bfamily (Europe)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Weggo Replacement Battery for Samsung Galaxy S6 3.85V 2550mAh Li-Ion Polymer Battery with Tool Repair Kit
Offered by Weggo Time

5.0 out of 5 stars everything you need and very good for the price, 25 Aug. 2016
The price tag at the time of placing the order was £8.99.

I got this for my cousins Samsung S6. As all batteries, after a certain number of charging discharging cycles, they will start losing charge or they will not hold charge at all. With most modern smartphones, you must be able to get at least a day worth of use out of it, otherwise they are useless. Unfortunately, with all this 4g and high resolutions screens, the battery performance has been left back in the dust hence most smartphones are well underpowered.

Therefore, when she told me she only gets about 9 hours of use out of her phone, I said to give it a try and replace the battery.

So what you get in the box of this kit?
You get everything well packed. The battery comes inside a separate bag but unfortunately it was slightly scratched for some reason - no idea why. In a separate bag you'll get all the tools required to replace the battery: two screwdrivers, two plastic counter leavers, one metal one, one guitar plectrum (they come in handy), the double sided tape or the battery wiring, a larger pick, a sim card remover tool, a plastic long pick, a cleaning cloth and...a suction cup (don't ask me why).
The cool part is that you also get a very instructive step by step guide to replacing the battery included in the bag. I followed the instructions exactly and in about 40 minutes my cousin had a new battery which by her work lasts for about 20 hours of good use. That's better when the old one for sure.

The main question is how many recharge cycles does this battery has before it starts to die out - we'll see.

For full transparency, I was sent this free product sample for evaluating and testing purposes. My review is impartial and honest and I really hope you found it informative. If you didn't find it sufficiently clear and informative or if you have any questions about the item, please comment on this review and I'll make sure I answer all your questions. Thank you very much :)

Comment Comment | Permalink

Fetoo® 33 Feet Outdoor Weatherproof String Lights - with 9 E27 Hanging Sockets, Black Wire | Best for Patio, Garden, Festoon Party Decoration ( Bulbs Not Included )

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and good quality but no on/off switch, 25 Aug. 2016
At the time of placing the order the price tag was £28.88 which I think is a bit too much for this item. I think a better price tag would be £25.
I have had it for over a month now and used it during some warm evening on the patio.

So what you get in the box?
The box is surprisingly compact. For a 33 feet cable, it comes well packed in a box along with an A4 paper of instructions.

Design and performance
To be honest, I haven't read the instructions - who does that anyway? So I just plugged it in the socket along with a few lightbulbs and there it went. The cable feels quite rugged and especially the parts where the cable connects to the light bulb feel very sturdy and well made. The cable is matte black throughout so no shiny bits.
For anyone interested to know if you have to plug bulbs in all sockets for them to light up, this is not the case. However many you will plug in, they will light up. However, the sockets that remain unfilled are basically bare wires for anyone too touch especially since the sockets are the E27 large ones. Basically, my recommendation is to fill the entire cable with bulbs. It would have been nice to see in the box a few plugs to screw in the sockets left empty for whatever reason.
I have tested incandescent and led lights and a combination of them and they worked well.
The interesting add-on is that the cable ends with a socket which basically means that this is at some level an extension chord. That's a nice touch to the design and I can see it being useful in many situations. However, the socket doesn't seem very outdoorsy to me I would think twice before leaving this cable in the rain.
The main reason for not awarding it 5 stars is the fact that it doesn't have a light switch. I know that all sockets in UK have an on'off switch but it would be great to see a simple on/off switch attached to the cable for more comfort and convenience.

Comment Comment | Permalink

BigBlue 28W Outdoor Charger 3-Port Foldable Waterproof Solar Panel - for iPhone SE 6S 6 Plus, GoPro, iPad Pro Air Mini Galaxy S7 S6 Edge S6 Plus and More
Offered by BigBlue-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars nice but a built in battery would have made it really good, 25 Aug. 2016
At the time of placing the order, the price tag of this device was £59.99.
Very happy with this unit. I have used this along with another solar panel for about two weeks now for two weekends in nature - love nature - and this has worked really well as long as you take a few things into consideration.

First, what you get in the box?
You get this solar charger well packed in a box along with a rather small multilingual instructions manual and a USB to micro SUB type B about half a meter long cable - very short in my opinion - it should be around 2 m long to make sure you can get the phone out of the sun while still charging. You also get 4 metal hooks which work well with the solar charger hooks if you want to get it attached to a tree or something.

Design and performance
The design is great, really really nice indeed. Basically, it's like a small book. On the front cover you have a pouch which has inside the charging dock. The dock is matte black and doesn't have any buttons - just three USB ports: two fast charge at 2.4 Amps and one slow charge at 1 amps.
The solar panels are hold together by some velcro bands so to open this up, just pull and then keep unfolding. Inside, you'll find four large solar panels with a matte finish. There are also many loops around the panels which were handy in using them to hook it up in high places. At about 640 grams weight, it's not uncomfortably heavy for a three persons tent - which was our case.

Now, to get your device charged, just plug the cable and take it out in the sun. Now, this device would have been much better if it would have had a built in battery - even a 3,000 mah - like an emergency power bank when it's night or overcast. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a power bank built-in, so all you can do is charge your device when the sun is out there. However, during use last weekend which was a peak solar activity, I was able to charge from both the high speed ports. I didn't measure the exact amps so I have no idea what the actual amps were, but both the devices were charging up fast at the same time: two moto gs, a first gen and a second gen.

In terms of usage performance, there are a couple of things to keep in mind;
1. In most cases, when you expose this device to the sun in direct sunlight perpendicular to the sun (which is the best position to gather light), the panels will heat up. Like a lot. It says on the pack no to expose it to temperatures over 40 degrees celsius but mine easily reached 50 after five hours in the sun. I mean, it's black, it's matte, it's designed to absorb light and it's supposed to always face the sun - it will light up. And this is where the second observation comes in
2. Get yourself a long USB cable, like 2 m long. Keep the panels in the sun while keeping the charging device in the shadow. This is my wholehearted recommendation. It's a very bad idea to keep a mobile device in the sun - it's written all over the device manuals - so try your best to protect your device from extreme exposure. The risks are screen damage and... you know... your battery exploding up.

Comment Comment | Permalink

ieGeek KOTION EACH GS700 3.5mm Gaming Game Headset Headphone Earphone Headband with Mic Stereo Bass LED Light for PS4 PC Computer Laptop Mobile Phones, Red
Offered by X-MOON Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price, 25 Aug. 2016
This is quite a nice headset for less than £20. I didn't know what to expect but after using it to play just cause 2 for a bit, I'm quite happy with the performance.

So what you get in the box?
You get the headset, a multilingual manual and an audio cable combo mic and audio to mic and audio separated.

Design and performance
At over 600 grams, this is a well built headset. Mostly made of plastic, the unit doesn't feel cheap since it feels well balanced. The colour is mostly glossy black with the exception of the upper structure and padding which is matte black.

The upper support is well made and covered in rubber tubing. The padding is quite thick and connected with rubber bands to the headset. When you put it on, it's quite comfortable, really.
The mic implementation I like quite a bit - the metal part is covered with a rubber tube as well and it works quite well in getting it to whatever position you want.

The ear padding is well made, nothing special, but large enough for my ears to fit in completely.

In terms of sound quality, I would qualify it as good, like 8/10 with reasonable bass and fidelity. Along the cable - which is quite long - you have a dongle which has an on/off switch for the mic and a volume wheel. Works as expected. To turn on the lighting system, you have to plug the separate USB cable included. Once you do that, the red leds will turn on - you have leds on the sides of the headphones and one led at the tip of the mic. All in all is nice but the leds would have been better to have some lighting effects but for this price, it's ok.

Comment Comment | Permalink

18 Pieces Dry/Wet Waterproof Abrasive Sandpaper,400 to 3000 Grit, Used for Metal Wood Glass Plastic etc

5.0 out of 5 stars very good for 3d printing, 25 Aug. 2016
The price tag at the moment of placing the order was £6.99 which is reasonable.

I like to 3d print whenever time allows but unfortunately 3d prints always come with a bit of extra work required to finish the print and most of the times these fixes require sandpaper.
This set of paper give you everything you need to finish your prints. If you have a significant mistake in the print that you need to remove, I recommend starting with the 400 size sandpaper. As you get closer to the final dimensions, I recommend using larger sizes.

In terms of correcting the layers in the prints, if you don't want them to be visible anymore or if you just like to print your items fast hence you use for large z step, anything above 2000 size will work well in giving you that smooth finish.

I've only used this in dry conditions and they worked well but they should work well in wet as well. In terms of mass, the entire pack has a mass of 68 grams.

SUBANG 10 Packs 18 Inches SATA III 6.0 Gbps Data Cable with Locking Latch Blue
SUBANG 10 Packs 18 Inches SATA III 6.0 Gbps Data Cable with Locking Latch Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars nice cheap good performance cables, 25 Aug. 2016
At the time of placing the order, the price tag was £6.99 which I think was a very very good price for 10 cables.
There isn't too much to say about cables that do what they are supposed to do but I'll give it a shot.

You'll get a bag with the individually wrapped cables - a bit of overdoing.
Each of them is blue and has a mass of 9.4 grams and a length of about 45 cm which is alright. I tested one of them with my new server rig (currently replacing that painfully slow synology nas) with a better one and I required a new cable for a 2 TB drive. These worked well so I'm happy with that.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable/ Converter for 2.5" SSD or HDD, Adapter for SATA III Hard Drives-Black (UA1003)
Offered by Inateck

4.0 out of 5 stars way too expensive for what you get, much cheaper alternatives, 25 Aug. 2016
These sort of cables are quite handy for those 2.5 inch HDDs or SSDs. Basically, such a unit achieves the data transfer and powering the device via one USB. The kind of controllers you get inside is what you will get in most portable 2.5 inch HDDs since most mass marketed SSDs and HDDs are sata compatible.

However, the price is huge! I remember getting a double USB device for less than £5 some months back. With the double USB adapter you can also power the large HDDs since this single USB doesn't have enough power for the larger one and you are limited to only using the small ones. Therefore, at £10.99, and with even less functionalities than cheaper cables, this is not what I would go for - by far.

In terms of design and build quality, it's average. Nothing special, all plastic with a blue led which will light up when you connect the HDD or SSD to the port. It's all matte black and rather light at only 24 grams. The only reason why I'm giving it 4 instead of 3 stars is the fact that is USB 3.0 compatible so it's an alternative but not the cheapest one by far. The price tag should be £5 at most.

In terms of testing, I used one of my SSDs and it achieve the USB 3.0 advertised performance - but so does most other such devices on the market these days.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Welltop GoPro Diving Mask with Camera Mount Tempered Glasses - Anti-fog Swimming Goggles Scuba Diving Snorkeling Mask for GoPro Hero HD, Hero 4, Hero 3+, Hero 3, Hero 2, Hero 1, Sj4000, SJ5000 Camera (blue)
Offered by Well-top

5.0 out of 5 stars used it twice, worked well, 24 Aug. 2016
At the time of placing the order, the price tag was £15.59.
I was looking for something like this for some time now since I wanted to check how waterproof those waterproof camera cases truly were while in real use, not only in the sink.
These goggles are a good choice if you want something like this - hands free camera handling. What you see the camera will record.

So what you get in the box?
You get a hard cover box which is quite good - it will guarantee that the goggles will get to you safe and sound.

Design and performance.
The goggles have an overall mass of 215 grams so not very light. The chassis is made of strong plastic with a matte finish and the rest of it of soft silicone. On the upper side it has the usual gopro connector which worked well with the accessories provided with my action camera. The windows are made of tempered glass but this is the case with most such diving masks in this price range.

In terms of performance, it was alright but it did fogged up after about 20 minutes of use which was faster than I hopped for. The way I fix this is usually by putting a bit of silicone oil on the inside of the glass - it works well in 4 out of 5 cases but you have to spread it well if you don't want your glass to look smudged.
One other observation is the stability. If you will rotate you head upwards too fast, water might start leaking inside from above if you don't strap the mask tight enough around your head. That's because the camera will create quite a bit of drag which will try and tilt the mask.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Onenuts Mobile Phone Car Mount - Grip Magic 360 Degree Swivel Air Vent Magnetic Universal Car Mounts Holder Cradle For iPhone 5/5S/6/6s Plus, Galaxy Note 4/5/S5/S6/S7/S8 Edge, Mini Tablets Car Mobile Phone Holder
Offered by NewOrange

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheap alternative but you may find even cheaper, 24 Aug. 2016
I've used this for about a week now and it has worked fine. At the time of placing the order, the price tag was £7.79 so is good to see that the price is going down.

The working principle is quite simple. Some strong magnets covered with a rubber and high friction sheet which sticks to a metal plate that you attach to your phone or inside your phone.
There are a few observation that I would make:
1. You don't have to stick the metal plates to your phone or even inside your phone. Most battery cases are tight enough that the moment you place the metal plate inside, it will remain in position. For my moto g, there was no need to stick the metal plate, I just placed it inside the battery cover and that was it.
2. Try and center the metal plate inside your phone if you want to be able to mount your phone centered on the support.
Well, that all. For a unit entirely made of plastic, at a reasonable price and with a good magnetic hold, it's a 5 stars product but as always, check all alternatives to make sure it's what you're looking for.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Mudder 6 Piece Black Aluminum Heatsink Cooler Cooling Kit for Raspberry Pi 3,Pi 2,Pi Model B+
Offered by Mudder Online UK

4.0 out of 5 stars it works but don't expect wonders. I use it with arduino mega board, 24 Aug. 2016
Heating is a big thing these days with most devices hence the current trend of cpu designers to manufacture devices which uses less voltage. If you remember ohm's law, the heat generated is proportional to the resistance and the resistance is proportional to the voltage so by reducing voltage, you will reduce the heat generated.

I'm currently using one of the big heatsinks with an arduino mega board and the board feels more stable - but again, the board is a copycat so the original one - which is also three times as much, probably has a much better performance.

Therefore, if you have stability issues with a mega board, you may want to consider this solution but do look for alternatives as well. The sticky thermal paste under the unit should be replaced by some good quality thermal paste if you want to improve the performance even further. But for now it works ok. I would only want to see the price a bit less ore more items provided since they are quite expensive at almost £1 per heatsink. Hence 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20