Profile for J. Cole > Reviews

Content by J. Cole

J. Cole "rolfkim" (Dudley, West Midlands)

Glasvegas
Glasvegas
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 9 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Glasvegas (Audio CD)
I suspect the fact that i like this album so much is that at heart i'm a sentimentalist. It takes me back to 1988-91. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said with regard to the influences here. The Jesus and Mary Chain comparison was the first that was obvious to me, both sonically and aesthetically, but the others are all valid. The thing that elevates this record and band above the mundane is the vocal and lyrics. It adds so much soul to the wall of noise approach that i love anyway. I love the fact that they've avoided trying trying to baffle me with the "I'm oh so clever" abstract nonsense that seems to afflict many of their mega-selling peers from south of the border. Lyrics that are written as if the were direct quotes from the protagonist, including the profanity, and they still convey a level of emotion that at times is heart rending. This album isn't groundbreaking, nor perfect (I don't get "Stabbed" although it may grow), but it is better than most that is being pushed at present. My only concern is that they are being over hyped and do wonder where the band go from here. They can continue like for like for me, it never harmed many of the "noise" bands i love, but i hope this current interest isn't just a fad. They are much better than a fad band.

Down III: Over The Under
Down III: Over The Under
Offered by SmokeCDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody does it better, 21 July 2008
I've been unashamed in my praise for the first Down album, "NOLA" and have enjoyed Down II, as i felt it was generally better than most stuff bearing the heavy rock/metal mantle. But it did seem to act as abit of a stop gap, a lenghty slightly indulgent jam session (not an original opinion granted). So, i've given myself time to digest Down III. I wasn't as instantly captivated as i was with NOLA, but given time to grow on me i can now say that this is the every bit the equal and possibly better than that great record. It's more formulaic than the previous two records, a straight ahead rocker, without perhaps the instant classic appeal of the first album. The sound of a supergroup, becoming a band. Some of the twin guitar sound on this album are mindblowing. The tone at the start of "Beneath the Tides" is enough to make the hair stand up all over, let alone the back of your neck. The production is perfect, loud in all the right places. But i think it's Phil's vocals which give this band something else. I was never his biggest fan in the Pantera days but he's matured into a collossus. There's nobody out out there in rock land to compete on the evidence of this record. I think the personal nature of the lyrical inpiration is well documented, but it makes for lyrics which avoid virtually all of the cliches which to my mind curse metal music. If you like your rock hard, groovy and tinged with a touch of the greats you'll find no better than this.

Fatty Batter: How Cricket Saved My Life (then Ruined It)
Fatty Batter: How Cricket Saved My Life (then Ruined It)
by Michael Simkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Just extremely funny, 9 May 2008
There is a general rule that I subscribe to with regard to sports books. The better the subject at their given sport the less interesting the read. There are of course exceptions that prove this theory, but gladly this book isn't one of them, due to the fact that Simkins is obviously very average at cricket. The book can broadly be broken into two sections, his time at school growing up and discovering cricket and his time as the secretary/manager of a casual sunday team. I enjoyed the first half, due mainly to brilliantly drawn observation which brought back memories of my own childhood and my own struggles in attempting to break into cricket teams filled with better looking, more talented and better equiped individuals who i both admired and hated in equal measure. The second half is just funny because sunday cricketers are just funny.

At the time i was reading this book my partner was revising for an upcoming job interview and on more than one occasion i was ejected from the room for constant giggling and occasion peels of laughter. I defy anyone with a passing interest in cricket not to laugh out loud when Simkins describes his repeated attempts to bowl at a professional at a Sussex coaching session during his youth.

If you enjoyed Marcus Berkmann's books Rain Men and Zimmer Men i would direct you to this because the tone and style is very similar and equally as enjoyable.

Nola
Nola

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, 25 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Nola (Audio CD)
After years of skirting around various aspects of the metal scene, despite a youth spent almost exclusively listening to Anthrax and Iron Maiden, it took this record to open that particular world back up. And despite a year or so exploring aspects of metal from the 70's to the 90's and beyond it's always this album i return to. It is an unquestionable joy, a record that puts a smile on my face every time i put it on, which is often. It has a very loose feel, the sound of a band with undoubted talent, not trying to amaze the listening with skills (which are there in abundance), but just creating the ultimate groove, with the right balance of aggression, songcraft and well, rock n roll!!. It may be a supergroup, but it more than equals the sum of it's parts and i love Phil's vocals on this record. Highlights for me are "Temptations Wings" "Lifer" and "Stone the Crow" (the best track Pearl Jam never made). I know there are some who feel this is under produced, but the style of production, or lack of it, only enhances the record, played loud in a car it sounds like the band are performing on the back seat and i love that. Since hearing this i've gone on a journey through Pantera's, COC's, Crowbar's and EyeHateGod's back catalogues and any number of other "StonerSludgeDoom" bands, but this is always my reference point. Thank You and Get Down.

Razorlight
Razorlight

1.0 out of 5 stars The biggest let down of the year, 20 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Razorlight (Audio CD)
I should never have have liked Razorlight, they're not the kind of band i usually like, but i was instantly won over when i saw live at Reading in 1994, by the sheer quality of their tunes, all off the debut album. Likewise Up all Night became one of my most listened to records, probably ever.

To be frank i expected better from number 2. Even the title stinks of laziness.It is a collection of some of the most weedy, trite and frankly pathetic tunes i have ever heard. I certainly don't hear Dylan, but i do here a pathetic attempt to create some Simon & Garfunkel like pleasantries, without anywhere near the song writing craft. This album has no balls. America is possibly the worst of the bunch, a lame U2 pastiche that i'v found impossible to listen to again. I know some reviewers have described this as a grower, and i've tried, i really have, bath, car, ipod, at work. It just doesn't work anywhere. Borrell, before you even think about writing a third album, for god sake get your Ramones, Specials and Clash albums out and remind yourself what a catchy tune, with genuine balls is all about!