Profile for Steven > Reviews

Content by Steven

Steven (Buckinghamshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Caller (The Organised Crime Team series Book 1)
The Caller (The Organised Crime Team series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars a good new series, 22 Jun. 2016
I've read most of MA Comley's books and love them, particularly the Justice books and the Sally Parker series. I was therefore interested to see how a new series with her involvement would pan out, and Tara Lyons was a new name to me.
I really enjoyed the story, angie a DI starting her new role as a the leader of a new serious and organised crime team lands her first case while still getting to know her colleagues and if a tough case. I liked how we got to know aAngie's team as she did herself and the characters felt real and likeable... except for the bad ones obviously! Angie's home life gave us a background in to her character and I liked that it was fairly normal, no traumatic events in her past, alcohol abuse, disfunctional love life and stuff like that that often crop up in lead ditectives of crime novels.
The only slight issue I had with the book is that i found one aspect of the plot hard to believe in, particularly given that the team were all strangers so Angie wouldn't have any real insight in to their individual skills so the under cover scinario didn't really work for me. overall though I enjoyed the book and await book 2 with interest.
Thanks to Mel for an advance copy of The Caller in exchange for an honest review.

East End Diamond
East End Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 9 Jun. 2016
This review is from: East End Diamond (Kindle Edition)
I loved book 1 in this series and the sequel is even better. I thought the characters we met in Eastend Trouble have been fleshed out even more in this book and the sceen has been set for the next book. hurray up Dani and get book 3 written!

Renegade (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 2)
Renegade (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Renegade, 7 May 2015
Renegade is Kerry Wilkinson's second book in his young adult trilogy featuring silver Blackthorn. There is enough back story for readers who haven't read `Reckoning' book one in the series, but the actions and motivations of the characters will make most sense if you read that book first.

The action of Renegade picks up immediately from the end of book 1, following Silver Blackthorn's escape, along with 11 other teenage `offerings' from Windsor castle. The whole country believes her to be a traitor to the king and a large reward is on her head. She must keep the other offerings safe while dealing with the expectations those who oppose the king place on her.

I really enjoyed this latest book in the series. Silver is a great character trying to protect her friends and to do what is right in the situation she finds herself in. One of the best aspects of Renegade was the developing relationships between the offerings who work together and use what skills they have to help the group as a whole survive. The extra character development of people such as Faith really helps the reader invest imotionally in the story.

This book has all the elements you'd expect in a YA novel of this type, fast-paced action, excitement and danger. There is even a love triangle.

My one minor problem with Renegade, and the reason for 4 stars rather than 5, is that some of the action towards the end of the book felt a little contrived with an element of science-fiction thrown in to help with an escape which I felt didn't really fit with the overall tone of the story. That said, it's a great fun read which I highly recommend.

Lastly, I'd like to thank the publishers for providing me with an advance copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Time of Death (Tom Thorne Novels Book 13)
Time of Death (Tom Thorne Novels Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Time of Death, 5 May 2015
Mark Billingham has been one of my favourite authors ever since I stumbled across `Sleepyhead' 10 years ago, and a new Tom Thorne novel has always been one I've eagerly awaited.

In this, the 13th of the series, Tom Thorne is out of his usual comfort zone of London as he accompanies his girlfriend Helen to her childhood home where she tries to offer support to an old school friend whose husband has been accused of abducting 2 school girls. All the evidence points to his guilt, but, Tom Thorne isn't convinced and goes about his own investigation in his own inimitable style.

While I've always enjoyed these books, I have found the last couple a bit week when compared to the very strong earlier books but I'm happy to say Mark Billingham is back on top form with Time of Death.

I loved the small town setting of Polesford. It's the kind of place where everybody knows everybody else and nobody's business is private. The devastation crime can have on communities like this is vividly brought to life, as is the effect that these events can have on the accused's family and friends.

The character of Helen Weeks has been a bit of a problem for me with the recent books; -- she just didn't feel very fleshed out. In Time of Death though, we learn a lot more about her and the things that have made her like she is--and she now feels like a much more rounded character.

This entry in the series is less of a police procedural given that Thorne isn't there in any official capacity and his investigation ruffles the feathers of the local police and I enjoyed this different direction for Thorne.

An excellent entry in the Tom Thorne series: highly recommended.

Thank you to the publishers for my copy which I received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

No Place to Die (Detective Jane Bennett and Mike Lockyer series Book 2)
No Place to Die (Detective Jane Bennett and Mike Lockyer series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars No Place to Die, 9 April 2015
No Place to Die is Clare Donoghue's second novel, although it is the first book of hers I have read. I have her debut on my kindle but haven't read it yet--an oversight I shall certainly rectify having read this enjoyable police procedural.

Although this book is billed as the second in the DI Mike Lockyer series, it's fair to say that it is his colleague, DS Jane Bennett who is the central character with Lockyer only really becoming involved in the story from about the half-way point.

The story opens with a phone call from a friend of Jane, who reports her husband, a former police officer missing. There are blood stains at the house leading Jane to suspect that all is not well. When she is sent to a local woodland area, she finds a sinister murder scene. A tomb has been created, and the body she finds is that of missing university student, Maggie Hungerford. Maggie had been buried alive and the killer watched her last moments and even provided her with an air supply only cutting this off once the game lost its thrill. Jane is left to handle the two cases, due to her superior Mike Lockyer's temporary suspension following the events of his last case. Although back in the office, he is handling cold cases as punishment for his actions. As the story unfolds, the author links the various strands of the story together with skill. There is a nice sense of menace throughout this book--I think the idea of being buried alive is one that will chill most people.

I really liked Jane as a character, she isn't a perfect copper and makes mistakes and admits when she is struggling and needs her superior officer's help--making her very human. We also see her struggles trying to balance her private life as the single mother of an autistic son with her demanding role as a police officer. Once DI Lockyer started to take more of an active role in the investigation, I enjoyed the way they worked together. Other characters are also drawn well--particularly the two main suspects.

The conclusion was certainly tense, though, I did find at times some of the explanations were a little confusing and far-fetched. This is a really minor point though and, I have to say, Clare Donoghue is certainly an author I'll be watching in the future.

*I received a free review copy from the publisher via Netgally in exchange for an honest review.

Follow The Leader (A DS Allie Shenton Novel Book 2)
Follow The Leader (A DS Allie Shenton Novel Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow the Leader, 12 Feb. 2015
I've been a big fan of Mel Sherratt ever since I read `Taunting the dead' the first book in the Ali Shenton series. Since then, I've enjoyed Mel's `The Estate' series--but could not get on with her most recent stand-alone book `Watching over you'. I was really pleased therefore to see that Mel was returning to Ali Shenton for her new book. It's been a good 3 years since I read the first book in the series but I immediately felt at home with the characters again. Ali is a really likable police officer and the plot was gripping focusing as it does on the effects of childhood bullying on later life. There is an on-going plot line through the series concerning Ali's sister which looks as if it is just boiling up to something interesting in book 3 which, fortunately, is only a few months away!

Last Will (Best Defence series Book 6)
Last Will (Best Defence series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Will, 4 Nov. 2014
Robbie Munro is back, and he’s better than ever!

Last Will is the 6th instalment of William McIntyre’s very enjoyable ‘Best Defence’ series of legal thrillers featuring Robbie Munro.

In this one, Scotland’s favourite defence lawyer has 1 month to prove he is capable of looking after his daughter, a daughter he didn’t even know he had until recently. Knowing Robbie as we do, this was always going to be more complicated than you’d think—as one character says Robbie has enough trouble looking after himself, never mind a child! Things get complicated when his landlord is implicated in grizzly events at a farm involving 2 dead bodies and wants Robbie to help sort it out.

As I’ve said before, this is the 6th in the series, and, like the previous 5, this one is a real 5 star story. The characters really come to life—my particular favourites are Robbie himself obviously as well as Robbie’s dad who provides a lot of the humour of these books. The change in Robbie’s personal life in this book, with the introduction of Tina his daughter and the problems trying to juggle responsibilities of a single parent with work were interesting and I’m sure many people could identify with them.

As ever, the writing is great with lots of one-liners to make me chuckle as I read. The plot is satisfyingly complex with an exciting ending and, perhaps a hint of romance for our hero.

A new book in this series is always a must read as soon after release as possible for me, and I hope we will have more in the future.

Great stuff!

From the Cradle (Detective Lennon Thriller Series Book 1)
From the Cradle (Detective Lennon Thriller Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Cradle, 4 Oct. 2014
This is the first book I’ve read by the writing duo of Louise Voss and Mark Edwards (although I have read ‘Because she loves me by Mark Edwards) and I loved it. I was aware of Voss and Edwards after their initial success as self-publishers a few years ago with ‘Killing Cupid’ but never got around to reading it. I was therefore delighted to be able to pick this book up as a Kindle first pick at a reduced price prior to the official release date in November. Having read this in 2 days, I can honestly say I’d have considered this a bargain even at full price.

The story grabbed me from the chilling prologue which offers us an insight in to the private life of DI Patrick Lennon who is the officer heading the investigation to find 3 missing children. What follows is a gripping police procedural and psychological thriller.

The characterisation here is spot on—Lennon is a great character with an unusual back story which gives him particular empathy with the families of the missing children. The pain and despair of a family torn apart by the abductions feels heart-breakingly real and, even the unlikable characters (of which there are a fair few) are convincing.

The pacing of the plot is good—with the police investigation following a number of wrong turns before the exciting conclusion.

I loved this and hope DI Lennon will become a recurring character in future collaborations between Voss and Edwards. I shall certainly be investigating their previous books.

Dating In The Dark: sometimes love just pretends to be blind (A Laugh Out Loud Romantic Comedy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dating in the Dark, 16 May 2014
As a blind person myself, I was curious about the premise of the book. I have to say that I generally enjoyed it. It is definitely laugh out loud at times and the story is touching in places.

The lead character Jason is a complete moron for most of the book but I couldn't help warming to him a bit by the end. Most of the other characters were well drawn, although Emma (Jason's love interest) felt a bit one-dimensional as there is so little of her in the book.

The ending was far too neat, but in books of this type I think we can forgive that.

Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace series Book 4)
Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Man's Footsteps, 12 May 2014
I've previously read `Not Dead Enough' the last book in the Roy Grace series and I enjoyed it--although I found it quite predictable.

Dead Man's Footsteps was an excellent police procedural which I enjoyed far more than its predecessor. The plot is unusual, using the backdrop of the 11th September attacks in New York as its starting point and racing along towards an exciting conclusion with a nice little twist at the end. The book jumps around in time so you need to keep your wits about you, but it is worth the effort.

I'm looking forward to reading `Dead Tomorrow' very soon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10