Profile for JJ > Reviews

JJ

Fisher Price Classics Record Player
Fisher Price Classics Record Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jan. 2016
Bought as a gift and they loved it.

Despicable Me Minion Sticker/Skin sky+ hd Remote controller/controll sticker , r2
Offered by thegrafixstudio

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jan. 2016
Love it

CrazyGadget® Mini Garden Incinerator Small Fire Bin Galvanised 15 Litre 15L Burning Wood Leaves Paper
Offered by Anything 4 Home

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good, 27 Jan. 2016
Astonishingly good book. Honest to the point of being uncomfortable, which all good autobiographies should be. Interestingly the second half where she becomes a housewife is the best bit. Her talking of giving up her life for her family, her frustrated attempts at getting back into something creative until she can't hold it back any longer is inspiring. Really powerful book about a wonderful woman who really didn't think she had much to say.

The Book of You: Daily Micro-Actions for a Happier, Healthier You
The Book of You: Daily Micro-Actions for a Happier, Healthier You
by Nora Rosendahl

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry everyone but this is so annoying! Really obvious tips and condescending, 27 Jan. 2016
Sorry everyone but this is so annoying! Really obvious tips and condescending. Jamie Oliver repeating the word Brekkie and 'eat fruit' three times as a top tip got me to the point where I just gave up and put it in the charity bag.

The Fringe Hours: Making Time For You
The Fringe Hours: Making Time For You
by Jessica N. Turner

2.0 out of 5 stars Too religious, 17 Dec. 2015
I really wanted to like this book and I liked a lot of the content. However the repeated references to God (almost every page at some points) just made me abandon it all together. A self help book should not hinge on praying, quotes from the bible or living life in a Christian way. I imagine a lot of people have been left cold by this.

Davina Fit [DVD]
Davina Fit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

3.0 out of 5 stars Great exercises but Davina is ridiculous., 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Davina Fit [DVD] (DVD)
Davina gurns like she has never seen a TV camera before and makes pointless jokes. I actually like the exercises but after watching this week in and week out their banter and the silliness is driving me mad. I actually had to turn it off this morning. Jackie never tells you which leg to work out or what is coming next meaning that you are constantly one step behind. If Mark brings out one where he is alone in the studio I would buy that.

Luella's Guide to English Style
Luella's Guide to English Style
by Luella Bartley

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved, Loved, Loved, 23 Oct. 2010
I totally loved this book. I was really gutted when the label closed and this book shows me why. Luella shows the thought, time and research that went into her collections and her inspirations in life and in her art. I am a MASSIVE Luella fan and have the wardrobe to prove it but I think there is a lot of inspiration for anyone who is a bit left of field.

Its not a style guide as such but more of a love letter to English style and English girls, writing about everything from Horsey Sloans to scruffy tomboys (of which I fit the brief) and visiting all sorts of stylish legends/tribes in between. Its also an attack on the mainstreaming of outsider looks, the blandness of today's pop stars and inspirational for anyone looking to add edge to their outfits.

I felt that it perfectly incapsulated the contrariness of English style, that we can be many different things at the same time - all thrown together in a dishevelled way. Most style books tell you how to get a look, which classics to buy to fit in or try and pigeonhole you into this style or that, but this celebrates originality, the past and an outsider influence. It is word heavy rather then picture heavy but to me that is a good thing.

I could not put the book down, I took it on the train across Italy after visiting for a Champions League game this week (true English contrariness) and read it all in one go. If there were slight criticisms it would be that at times it is a little bit London-centric, as if everyones path leads to working in fashion, art and magazines with access to the back room at Relik and that nobody works up north in a boring office job but that is her life and is true for who she has grown up with. I will gladly take her on a tour of the north so she can add new shops/inspiration for us up here! I also would have preferred photographs rather then the illustrations which are throughout. (Also after staring at the beautiful camel cover for hours I ended up buying some really expensive camel shoes at the airport which will now be the Luella shoes!) But they were slight criticisms and I loved it and would recommend this to anyone who loves clothes/fashion/style. I will be re-reading it again and again.