Profile for Thespionic > Reviews

Content by Thespionic
Top Reviewer Ranking: 774

Thespionic "Thespionic" (West Country)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
In Concert:Sinatra @ the Sands
In Concert:Sinatra @ the Sands
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars One For The Collection, 1 July 2015
Frank has been dead now for 17 years, dying in 1998,aged 83. He was the last of the Rat Pack to pass away – Deano died in 1995 (78) and Sammy (65) was first to go in 1990 – so, they all passed away in a very brief 8 year period?
This album smacks of the ’Rat Pack,’ especially the 10 minute cabaret interlude and the ending. It’s a little strange, looking back now, about how proud they were about their drinking habits?
I would guess that this album catches Frank at the top of his game, and so, as he is no longer with us, is well worth a place in anyone’s collection? This was recorded in 1966 - the year England won the World Cup! The 'Sands' was demolished in 1996, as it had become outmoded and dated.
The album catches all of Frank’s best known songs up until 1966 – he was 50 when this was recorded. The Count Basie Orchestra sound just great and the whole recording is crisp and clear. The Count gets plenty of air time too.
It’s not a perfect album in my view – ‘Get me to the Church on Time’ is a bit of a throw away number in my view, and the monologue is rather cringe-worthy, though I accept that the American audiences seem to lap it up? The encore too is a little unbalanced and unspectacular?
Nevertheless, Frank & Basie sound great together – and that’s what really matters.

Night Fever
Night Fever
Offered by leo of johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real 5 Star Funk Album, 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Night Fever (Audio CD)
This album mirrors the songs from the popular TV show ‘Night Fever’ – 1997 – 2001. The songs can loosely be described as a mixture of funk, soul & disco.
No one can argue at the content on here, 40 great tracks and an informative booklet complete with lyrics. I paid just 9p plus postage for my ‘like new’ copy!
Of the many classics on here are ‘Le Freak’, ‘YMCA’ & ‘Rock Your Baby,’ which are consistently among the best- selling singles ever.
These compilations are great at taking you back to a previous time in your life. It was lovely to hear the likes of: ‘Love Train,’ ‘Young Hearts Run Free,’ & ‘Don’t Leave Me this Way,’ again, all great songs, but then again, there are so many on here of that ilk!

The Only Jazz Album You'll Ever Need!
The Only Jazz Album You'll Ever Need!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Very High Quality & Under Appreciated Album, 27 Jun. 2015
I have several of the ‘Smooth Jazz’, ‘Late Night Moods’ albums, which in my view are all excellent compilations. And so it led me to this one!
As mentioned on here already, Disc 1 consists of Swing & Big Band music, which I quite like for a change. You have all of the main players here - Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington & Count Basie to mention but a few. Nobody gets short-changed on this album that's for sure. Yes, I enjoyed this album, even if the music is not my favourite genre.
On Disc 2 then we have jazz of various orders. I’m not a particular lover of trad’ jazz, or those never ending, self-indulgent solos that some jazz players / combo’s like to lose themselves in. One thing I do know, whoever picked this song list deserves a medal? The quality on this album is superb. The musicianship on jazz guitar, sax, horn, piano & fiddle is awesome. The music is soft, gently flowing and captivating… and it’s not all instrumental is it? We have some of the best singers of these eras – Fitzgerald, Sinatra, Armstrong, Horne, Holiday, Vaughn & Nat King Cole.
35 great tracks, some of the best talent around to sing and play for us, over the genres that the album covers, some wonderfully charismatic songs & tunes … and some on here have the audacity to give this wonderful piece just 3 stars? Where have you been all your lives? Hey, I don’t care about titles, the synopsis for this album is clear, so no one has the right to act as surprised as to what is played … can’t you read?
I’m giving 4 for disc 1, and 6 for disc 2, making an overall score of 5 stars!

Midnight Cowboy [DVD] [1969]
Midnight Cowboy [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Dustin Hoffman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An Iconic 60's Film, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Midnight Cowboy [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
This is one of the best movies from the 60’s and certainly one of the most atmospheric, with that wonderful song, ‘Everybody’s Talkin’ playing throughout.
It came out in 1969 and shared cinema time with such films as Easy Rider and Butch Cassidy. It was the time of Woodstock and America landed the historical ‘First Man on the Moon.’ A quarter of a million protested against Vietnam in America – In Blighty we scrapped the death sentence.
It still remains the only ‘X rated’ film to win an academy award. The only other films nominated were Clockwork Orange & Last Tango in Paris.
John Wayne in 'True Grit,' beat Voight and Hoffman to the Oscar that year but the film did pick up 3 AA’s, including ‘Best Picture.’
Unsurprisingly it turned its $ 3 million budget into a profit of $44 million! – Nice work if you can get it … and Joe Buck certainly tried!
The film is essentially about a dream that turns into low life grubbiness, and an unlikely if doomed friendship. It’s certainly a film that will leave a mark on you.

One Night Stand - Sam Cooke Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963
One Night Stand - Sam Cooke Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963
Offered by Assai-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very, Entertaining & Great Recording., 25 Jun. 2015
I bought this on the strength of the reviews on here. I have to say that most things said on those reviews are correct. The album has great sound on both voice and band. Sam’s voice is crystal clear and he’s definitely the man in charge here! The band (guitar x2, saxophone x2, bass, piano & drums) are really crisp and very rhythmic – maybe a couple more little solos would have been nice. The atmosphere is just right – excited but none of that awful screaming and over-adulation that ruins some live recordings.
There are three recordings of this concert, all a little different. The 1985 recording is the rawest and most raucous, and the reason why it was shelved for so long. The 2000 version is toned down and the 2005 version is a mixture of the two? It was recorded at the Harlem Square club, to a predominantly black audience, in Miami, Florida.
My only, very miniscule, negatives would be, the shortness of the album – at an incredibly short 30 odd minutes, and perhaps for me, it started to sound just a little samey towards the end - so perhaps a half hour was perfect to maintain the party atmosphere throughout.
This album would be a blast as a background at a ‘barbecue? Yes, very good and I enjoyed it very much.

The Great Songs of George Gershwin
The Great Songs of George Gershwin
Offered by slcmusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely One for Your Gershwin Collection, 24 Jun. 2015
I have listened to a lot of George Gershwin and ‘The Great American Songbook’ lately. I have ‘Ella Fitzgerald sings Gershwin,’ and a lot of his songs sung by other performers too, on various compilations
This is very different. The songs are recorded from as far back as 1924 - up until 1966 -some sound undeniably old fashioned ( as they would being 50 years old!) compared to the modern versions of his music. However, some of the recordings are every raw and almost live sounding (a few are indeed live), like you are in a club or the like. I can’t say that I really liked this on first impressions but it is growing on me as an alternative to the ultra-smooth Ella Fitzgerald, where several of her renditions certainly top these!
Again, on listening to this album, the woodwind, brass & piano are wonderfully prominent, which you won’t get on a modern recording, that was immediately apparent to me and I enjoyed it.
I don’t think these are the best versions of many of the songs; Fitzgerald’s version of ‘Fascinating Rhythm’ is far superior to Bennet’s overly rushed version, where he sounds out of his comfort zone? Even though we have the likes of George Benson, Andy Williams & Johnny Mathis on here, I can’t say their versions did too much for me. The best for me is undoubtedly Franklin's, 'It Aint Necessarily So.'
This album is clearly more about the nostalgia and backing tracks than the solo artistes on many occasions. I still think it’s a reasonable addition to the Gershwin story though – nice to listen and relax to.
There is a lovely little insert which runs through the song list and has some great old photos.

Gone With The Wind - 75th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] [1939] [Region Free]
Gone With The Wind - 75th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] [1939] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Clark Gable

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film & Perfect Bluray, 22 Jun. 2015
I have tried so many times to watch this film until the very end! I’ve lost interest, fallen asleep, or just plain given up! Anyway, this time I finally managed it, I bought the Bluray version to help me concentrate for the journey!
Firstly, the Bluray is just fantastic quality and crystal clear – 10/10.
It’s a bit of a waste of time going over the plot isn’t it - after all these years! Just to say that Clark and Vivian were fantastic as the leads, and who couldn’t help but love that maid! Old Rhett, all tan, teeth & tash – but what a good looking guy – and rich as well girls! Well, Scarlett, you got what you deserved didn’t you! No sympathy from this end I’m afraid.
What a memorable scene that was when Rhett was leading the buggy through the fire and munitions, and that huge torched warehouse collapsed around them -utterly amazing cinematography for its day. That will always stay with me.
Can you believe that Gable did not win an AA for his performance, but Leigh did – even the maid did! So, he lost the war, his wife and his trophy. No wonder he turned a drink?
The only other thing I can say is just how much I enjoyed this film having finally stayed the course. Perhaps I found it easier now that I’m older – I think that helps? The film has now grossed some 3.5 billion, making it he most successful film ever.

The Best Smooth Jazz Ever...!
The Best Smooth Jazz Ever...!
Offered by Mattpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolutely Brilliant Compilation Album, 22 Jun. 2015
This is yet another great album of ‘smooth jazz’ and terrific value too, with four discs and 70 songs. I must confess that I had little idea as to a lot of these artistes, so it’s very good educational tool too.
As well the old masters like: Ella Fitzgerald, Baker, Bassey, Turner & Nat King Cole, there are an absolute plethora of artistes to listen to and get to know.
There are many instrumentalist too, such as: Herbie Hancock (piano), Buddy Rich (drums), Noel Pointer (Violin), Cannonball Adderley (saxophone), Bobbi Humphrey (flute) and Bobby Hutcherson ( vibraphone & marimba) for example.
A lot of the singers and musicians are black and from the States, but also included is the Brazilian Samba singer, Elsa Soares.
The quality of the songs and recordings are excellent and some are live recordings to boot. There are also some brilliant instrumentals.
Other ‘lesser knowns’ to me were: Julie London ( singer & actress), Shuggie Ottis(LA), Timmy Thomas (Indiana), Carleen Anderson (Texas), Cassandra Wilson ( Mississippi), Maze ( Philadelphia) and not to forget the likes of Lou Rawls and ‘sassy’ Susan Vaughn.
This is a wonderful compilation that will take you several plays to appreciate – 5 stars and nothing less!

Smooth Jazz 2
Smooth Jazz 2
Offered by Media Vortex

5.0 out of 5 stars So, What is Jazz?, 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Smooth Jazz 2 (Audio CD)
So, What is Jazz?
The truth is that jazz now has many different genres? Gregory Porter is the biggest thing to hit the jazz scene in years, and yet, is he really an authentic jazz singer, singing jazz songs – I don’t think so? He’s a mixture of jazz, soul, blues, work songs / gospel & very smooth ballads? His music appeals to a lot of different music lovers?
This album may not be traditional jazz (as some readily point out) but it is super smooth with a wonderful song list for sure. There’s undeniably some great music on here and a very good blend to boot. We could all be critical of a few tracks, but hay, the quality here cannot be faulted.
I especially enjoyed the tail end of disc 2 with Hancock, Jones & Gillespie, as I was less familiar with them. In fact, many tracks on here were new to me but still very enjoyable.
In my very humble opinion this is a top compilation album, in fact, the whole ‘smooth jazz’ collection is excellent. Frankly, I just love this album jazz or not!

Together - 20 Classic Soul Duets
Together - 20 Classic Soul Duets

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Album & Worth a Listen, 20 Jun. 2015
This is a very nice album but perhaps not a great one? It has some classics for sure – Don’t Know Much, We’ve Got Tonight, Up Where We Belong, Endless Love, Tonight I Celebrate My Love and Too Much, Too Little, Too Late. All of these would possibly be on most people’s lists?
For some reason there are five (yes 5) Marvin Gaye duets, which are far too many and shows either an obvious bias or a lack of imagination – certainly the latter. There are plenty of other great duets to choose from without overloading’ with one artiste. Where is Michael McDonald & Patti Labelle’s, ‘On My Own?’ What about 'Passing Strangers' - a real classic?
I certainly wouldn’t put anyone off this album but ‘Duets’ (Telstar tv), looks better value with 36 tracks and more variety?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20