Profile for PMac > Reviews

PMac

Songs To Remember
Songs To Remember

5.0 out of 5 stars Triple, hep and blue, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Songs To Remember (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to be around when was this was new - and I still have the vinyl to prove it. Green did good stuff after (and before) but there is not a duff piece out of the nine on the album.
Coming back to it later - thirty-odd years later, by heavens! - it sounds fresh and exciting, with twists in each track to keep the toes popping and the brain thinking.
Could it be bettered? Yes! Will someone give us a version with all the 12-inch remixes? PLEASE??!!!

The Age of Wire and String
The Age of Wire and String
by Ben Marcus

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, but odd, 4 May 2013
This new edition of Ben Marcus's 'stories', originally published in 1995, is a useful addition to the rather short list of fully realised pataphysical works. It is one of the oddest books I've ever read, appearing to be a handbook for survival - or a list of rules - in a world almost entirely unlike our own, but described in the same words.
It is relentlessly downbeat, describing the travails of survival in an apparently hostile environment (although there is no indication that this is some post-apocalyptic dystopia). It is only in the very final paragraph that there is any glimmer of optimism.
The one thing it does remind me of is the stories that are told around the table during Jewish feast days, and the various rules for dress, behaviour and dining that fundamentalists of many religions repeat to themselves during prayer and remembrance. As a non-believer, the book makes no less sense than do the belief systems of established religions.
Don't be put off. It is easy to get through, even if it makes little sense to our world. A few felicitous phrasings made me chuckle. And the illustrations are entirely appropriate to the work, adding to the feeling of otherness.
And it did make me want to write this review, which I don't often do.

Snog on the Rocks
Snog on the Rocks
Offered by Music-Finder

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to pudding, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Snog on the Rocks (Audio CD)
Emptied the garage last week; rescued what vinyl was still playable, including this. Must be 10 years since I heard it last. Hysterical stuff! Had me bopping around the kitchen, till me knees went.
As other reviews have pointed out, this is basically good pub rock, with samples and scratching and some light West Country rap. Themes are football, drinking and cheap sex.
What is most amazing, if memory serves, is that this was a side band for those Bristolian avant-gardistas Rip Rig + Panic.
I have another two Head albums on vinyl - anyone know if these ever appeared on CD?