Profile for PeterW > Reviews

Content by PeterW

PeterW

Page: 1 | 2
My Sister's Bones: 'For lovers of The Girl on the Train ...a tense story with multiple twists and turns'

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful debut novel - recommended!, 2 Nov. 2016
This book builds and builds towards a tremendously powerful conclusion. Kate is a troubled war reporter whose childhood experiences and first hand exposure to war zones are playing havoc with her mind as she seeks to come to terms with Herne Bay and her mother's death. The detritus of her early years is all around her - she hears noises - and as the story unfolds, we see how young lives abused or taken from us too soon infect daily life, exposing us to risk and confusion.

While the first half of the book is intriguing, the latter part is dramatic and unexpected. With twists and turns until almost the final page I couldn't put this one down. An excellent and imaginative psychological thriller.

Thank you Netgalley, Viking Penguin and the author for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Fire Child
The Fire Child
by S. K. Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ice Twins was one of my favourite books of last year, 23 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Fire Child (Hardcover)
The Ice Twins was one of my favourite books of last year, regularly recommended to others, so I approached The Fire Child with high expectations. I was not disappointed. Set in deepest, murkiest Cornwall, the sense of location is captivating from the outset, evoking holidays as a child, triggering memories of tin mines and cliff top walks I had not thought about for years. I love a good psychological thriller but am not one for unbelievably supernatural stories. S K Tremayne always stays just on the side of the plausible, rather than the extraordinary which makes these books especially chilling. By switching storyteller from time to time, the author builds the sense of mystery in less formulaic fashion than so many of these "he said, she said" books. Builds to a chilling climax.

Thank you Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Justin Reece Edward Mens Leather Lace Up Brogue Office Work Formal Shoes, Black A, 8 UK
Offered by 4 Feet Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and good fit, 23 Jan. 2016
nicely packaged and swiftly delivered. As seen on pic and fitted well.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Great summer read - mysterious, atmospheric and the right side of believable. Recommended.

Don Bradman Cricket (PS4)
Don Bradman Cricket (PS4)

4.0 out of 5 stars decent cricket game, 14 July 2015
Bought for my son but I have ended up playing it much more than him. It's tricky to master, especially if you were brought up on Owzthat!! rather than the PS4 but was delighted to hit my first century last week batting number 3 for Somerset. And it was against Gloucs!

Summer's Crown: The Story of Cricket's County Championship
Summer's Crown: The Story of Cricket's County Championship
by Stephen Chalke

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I bought it twice, 14 July 2015
This book is an absolute joy. A beautiful history of the county championship so beautiful I bought it twice (once for me and once for my Dad). I hope it will be updated when Somerset eventually win the trophy, something I trust will happen before this extraordinary competition is abandoned once and for all.

Hide and Seek: A gripping psychological thriller with a shocking twist
Hide and Seek: A gripping psychological thriller with a shocking twist

3.0 out of 5 stars This is possibly the most absurd book I have ever ..., 17 April 2015
This is possibly the most absurd book I have ever read but it kept my interest somehow and I finished it in a day before downloading another by this author. Not sure why. Dangerous addiction!

Brutal Giants & The Village King (A Ferriby Fairytale) (Another Saturday & Sweet FA Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Having read and enjoyed all Calvin's previous books this was a must for ..., 17 April 2015
Having read and enjoyed all Calvin's previous books this was a must for download on the day it came out. My son loves the idea of these football trails and the author comes across as a thoroughly decent, warm hearted man. The Ferriby fairy tale has a plot you would dismiss as fanciful in a work of fiction. Wanless Jr and I get a few mentions en route to Wembley but these are not the highlights. Enjoy. We both did.

Another Saturday & Sweet F.A
Another Saturday & Sweet F.A

5.0 out of 5 stars the beautiful game, 1 Feb. 2015
This is the first book I have begun reading that so captured my son's imagination that he began reading it before I had finished. The simple idea of following every round of the FA Cup takes us on a journey to some of the less glamorous tourist spots of England. The author's humanity shines through at all stages. This is an enjoyable and uplifting book, even if Chippenham Town, Barnet, Welling Utd, nor Ebbsfleet happen to feature on this occasion.

SAVFY® Mudguard Easy-fit for Rear Bicycle Mountain Bike Mud Guard Cycle
SAVFY® Mudguard Easy-fit for Rear Bicycle Mountain Bike Mud Guard Cycle
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 31 Dec. 2012
Very cheap and functional - this was just what I needed at a very fair price so happy to recommend.

Page: 1 | 2