Profile for una mar > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cartes Postales from Greece
Cartes Postales from Greece

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 11 Sept. 2017
Like a number of other reviewers, I felt cheated by this, not having realised it is merely a series of short stories with very tenuous connections. Also, what is the point of those awful photographs? Several are blurry, many are pointless, (a close-up of a telephone??!!) - and what IS that opposite page207?, They certainly do not do justice to Greece. I have read as far as page 80 and am stopping, which I rarely do but I can find nothing in this to enjoy.

Sixty Degrees North: Around the World in Search of Home
Sixty Degrees North: Around the World in Search of Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, evocative and inspired., 16 Aug. 2016
Fascinating, inspiring and wonderful descriptions of all the places he visited. Also a courageous exploration of what we may mean by the place we call "home". Thoroughly recommend this book.
My preview of this review indicates that I read this on my Kindle; I actually bought my copy and very glad I did as I have underlined several words/ phrases/ ideas which I shall look at again for the perfection of expression and can't easily do that on Kindle.

After the Crash
After the Crash

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful !!!, 3 Feb. 2016
This review is from: After the Crash (Kindle Edition)
This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read - I would give it minus stars if that were possible. The plot is outrageously improbable, the denouement involves a character about whom we hear nothing until the last few pages, the literary style is appalling; I simply cannot understand why any editor would have accepted this.

Girl From The South
Girl From The South
by Joanna Trollope

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Girl From The South (Paperback)
This book did not appeal at any level in spite of the fact that I have enjoyed some of this author's other work (notably The Soldier's Wife)..
In this, I found the characters over-drawn and the plot very uninspired. Really disappointing.

The Beekeeper's Daughter
The Beekeeper's Daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, 26 Sept. 2014
This was somewhat disappointing as I have enjoyed other books by this author, notably "The House by the Sea" and "The Affair".
However, this one I felt lacked lustre and plodded along rather predictably so that I was rather longing for it to end.
Sorry, Ms Montefiore, but sometimes the spark is not there and I feel this is one of those!

The Darkest Hour
The Darkest Hour

1.0 out of 5 stars What nonsense!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (Kindle Edition)
What can I say? An excellent plot centring on unrequited love in the context of the Battle of Britain - this was well written, the characters very convincing and the historical background vividly described - totally spoiled for me by thoroughly unbelievable nonsense about ghosts appearing here, there, and everywhere and even whizzing overhead in aeroplanes!!!! I cannot understand the fulsome praise others have written about this; for me it was tiresome rubbish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 10:14 PM BST

Other People's Marriages
Other People's Marriages

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 10 July 2014
I have enjoyed other works by this author but this was disappointing. Her ability to tell a story and to create interesting characters is still evident but I found the plot rather implausible; how the arrival of one woman into a social circle could have been the catalyst for so much mayhem was just too much for me to accept.

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 27 Nov. 2013
Like a significant number of others, I felt this book did not deliver what I was expecting. The visits to the various places of interest were described in a very superficial way, the route seemed haphazard, overall planning for such an ambitious project appeared to be minimal. However, other aspects were even more disturbing, particularly the way in which the children were allowed to behave and the apparent amusement their parents felt at the children's misconduct. Why on earth should children be laughed at indulgently for wreaking havoc? ( I have children of my own and would never condone such behaviour).
I also felt the inclusion of the details of the author's father's illness were not appropriate in a book of this genre and the reminiscences which the author indulged in were again totally irrelevant.
If anyone is looking for an interesting, amusing and well-written book on a similar theme, I would recommend Simeon Coutrie's book - The Long and Whining Road.

The Long and Whining Road
The Long and Whining Road

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 16 Nov. 2013
I enjoyed this so much I was rationing the number of pages I read each day as I was reluctant to get to the end.
Not only well written, but I really got an insight into the various places visited.
Thank you so much, Courtie family, for sharing your adventure.

Bundles of Joy: Two Thousand Miracles. One Unstoppable Manchester Midwife
Bundles of Joy: Two Thousand Miracles. One Unstoppable Manchester Midwife

1.0 out of 5 stars Dullest book I have read this year, 16 Nov. 2013
I find it hard to understand the enthusiasm of other reviewers who have found this an enjoyable read! I thought it was both smug and self-promoting. I am sure most of us in our latter years have several anecdotes relating to our careers or life in general and could do better than this. Ms Fairley's tales were only mildly interesting - if you wanted to read an entire book about women giving birth; and her prose is pedestrian and uninspired. Sorry, but this one was not even slightly worth finishing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3