Profile for D. Hickey > Reviews

Content by D. Hickey

D. Hickey "PhotoBloke" (UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Realmax HDMI-824 1m HDMI Cable - What a brilliant piece of kit, 20 Oct. 2015
Realmax HDMI-824 1m HDMI Cable - What a brilliant piece of kit! OK, it is just an HDMI cable, but it is probably the best one you could ever hope to buy, it is a sturdy braided cover design cable, with gold connectors and works perfectly. If you are going to buy a cable for your entertainment system, then you might as well have the best available and this product is definitely the best - highly recommended..

CONCEPT4U DVI-D Male TO VGA Female Adapter Convertor For CRT LCD PC HDTV DVI to VGA HD15 (M-F) DVI M to VGA F

1.0 out of 5 stars What a pillock I am!!!!, 13 Aug. 2012
Bought this without reading any previous reviews (which I ALWAYS do normally) and yes it is a complete piece of junk that can never work - so what I might ask is the point of selling this item other than to completely rub you up the wrong way - aarrgghh!

I am angry with myself for being such a pillock...!

Why can't we have a no star rating here so I can give it NO STARS?

BLACK+DECKER GK2240T 40 cm Chainsaw with Tool Free Blade Tensioning, 2200 W, 16 inch

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 6 Aug. 2012
This is a proper chainsaw, not one of those small occasional use DIY jobbies, no way, this is the real deal.

We bought a new house for a B&B and Photography instruction course business on the beautiful Isle of Skye (in fact you could probably find us if you wanted to by looking for photography and info) and my wife loves gardening, unfortunately it seems to be common practice on the island to remove ALL the top soil from the garden when building a new house, so we are having to start the garden from scratch. We ordered 5 tons of logs (as in 100 full grown 8 foot long tree trunks) from the forestry commission to build raised beds for veg and flowers etc. The logs/trees when they arrived turned out to be up to 16 inch in diameter, but this puppy goes through them like butter.

I have never owned or used a chainsaw before, but I knew with the sheer size of the tree trunks we had bought, that I would need something capable of doing some heavy duty work, and having read the previous reviews here, I decided to go for the Black and Decker GK2240T and I am very happy I did.

The only down side is as mentioned in previous reviews, that the oil sachet that comes in the box, isn't enough to get you going for more than a couple of decent sized cuts, but that is a small quibble, as they sell chainsaw oil at most DIY stores. It is easy to assemble without even having to refer to the manual (every mans dream) and the chain tensioner is dead simple to operate.

Safety wise it stops in well under a second as soon as you let go off the trigger, the power lead is very, very thick and the whole unit feels like a quality item that will serve us well for many years to come.

A really well designed piece of kit, at a really great price - Highly recommended.

In fact if you are a bloke who likes his power tools but doesn't have any large trees to cut into pieces, then why not buy one anyway, so you can polish it and clean it and tell all your mates down the local that you've got a Chainsaw.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 (PC)
Adobe Photoshop CS5 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but less razzamataz would be better, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I ordered CS5 but got CS5 extended instead, so thanks to the supplier for this. I have since been told this is what happens now, as they are both selling at the same price, so why not give out the extended version instead. I will never use the extended aspect of the software, but a nice touch none the less, so thanks again.

Over £600 for a software package is a big bill to swallow and a large chunk of money, but it is the industry standard and quite simply cannot be beat - if you are serious about imaging in what ever form, then there are no ifs or buts, you need this software.

However there are at least two major bugs I have found in this version, after using it for only a few days (the PC version), that I now find I have no other choice than to use a less than acceptable work around:

Major bug 1 - with the wizzy Open GL graphics mode set on by default if you have a supported graphics card - which all modern PC's do, then you can do all sorts of wonderful things, such as flick the image on screen from side to side and up and down, or load up a virtual colour wheel, or see the image zoom in and out smoothly on screen like a Mac, or even use a zoom loupe to get straight into close up views of part of the image you wish to inspect at 100% detail, which would be great, except...

When using the highly vaunted Open GL aspect of CS5 with my brand new i7 Dell PC, with 22 inch screen, I find the full screen image review mode (Ctrl, 0) after tapping F several times to also get the black backdrop, now fills the screen with a very soft and blurry preview image. Very disconcerting, I thought my eyes were on the blink or my camera focusing was off, but I knew the image was crisp, as I'd already worked on the image before. So I experimented and found that if I zoomed in once more with Ctrl +, or zoomed out once with Ctrl -, the screen showed me a crisp image, but then it was either too big to fit on the screen or showing me a smaller image that did not use all the screen real estate (as our American cousins call it). But at least I was glad it wasn't my eyes or my camera work. So it seems the default full screen setting with Ctrl 0 under Open GL, which I would want to use all the time, falls between two crisp image preview presets and instead presents you with an image that is blurred enough to make you think you have taken a really bad shot - I know the image on screen is always going to be an on-the-fly interpolated version of the actual image for viewing purposes, but even so, every other version of PS I have used over the past 14 years has worked fine in this respect and as I am using a bog standard screen at a bog standard size and resolution, then why was it doing this to me now?

What I discovered I had to do to overcome this major problem, is to turn off Open GL. Now Ctrl 0 fits the image to full screen size and displays a nice crisp image. So with one (albeit major) problem, this means that all the new and wizzy graphics animation tricks have gone straight out of the window in one fell swoop. What a basic error to make and why have they done this?

Major bug 2 - Without the Open GL aspect working which I now find I am forced to use, again when I go into full screen mode and pressing the F key until you get to full screen review mode with a black background, which again worked perfectly on every other version of PS I have used previously that did not support Open GL, now does display the image crisply, but with a light blue eye distracting border all around the edge of the screen, that you simply cannot get rid of, except of course if you turn Open GL back on again, which gets me back to the totally useless full screen blurred image mode. I suppose the blue border could be a Win 7 issue, but you would think they might have thought to test these two industry standard programs together and checked for and corrected any compatibility issues prior to release.

I have tried to get round this in other ways such as setting the display resolution in PS to the same as the image pixel resolution by measuring the screen width and dividing that measurement by the pixel display settings, or changing the way Win 7 displays screen resolution at various sizes, but nothing works - it's either blurry full screen images with Open GL and all the razzamataz, or a horrible light blue border and no razzamataz without Open GL.

So there you have it, a fantastic bit of software with more bells and whistles than you will ever need, that fails at the most fundamental level, by not letting you look at an image in full screen mode without the image either being blurry or having a distracting light blue border around it.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not actually unhappy with this software, it is what I need and also teach and use on a daily basis, but this blurred image problem is annoying and very disappointing, because I think this a result of Adobe having seriously taken their eye off the ball here and spent too much time on the Open GL trickery, instead of continuing to develop and innovate solid image manipulation algorithms for professionals.

So yes buy it by all means, but you may also find that you need to turn off all the 'nice' wizzy stuff that you may have bought it for in the first place, that is of course if you want to see crisp images in full screen mode, which surely we all want to do and should be the single most fundamental operation of this very expensive piece of software.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 5:03 AM BST

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn - nothing but lost time I will never get back, 9 Feb. 2011
Had this book recommended to me, 540 odd pages, I had worked out who "dunnit" after about 150 pages of boring pointless detail, yet I struggled on regardless to the bitter end, hoping that I was wrong, but I wasn't - yes the author gets most of the computer stuff correct most of the time, which is to be applauded I suppose, because most other authors don't bother. That is except for the major glaring error of saying that they hacked into a computer by using a device connected to the external ADSL cable system. Yes this would work, but would have also required them to visit the person's house directly and either dig up the garden or scale a telegraph pole outside the house to attach the device, which you would think that someone in the what is suppose to be a billionaires house, might just have noticed, when a big fat spotty face hacker was supposedly doing this to their cable? And so makes the whole saga even more boring and pointless.

I would rather shave my head with a cheese grater than read the next book in the series...!

This book is nothing but hype - avoid like the plague.

Manfrotto 322RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head
Manfrotto 322RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough, 19 April 2010
I have been using this trigger grip style ball head for over a year now, and yes it is a reasonably good product for the money, but I find I now need to upgrade, because it has become more annoying to me than it is useful to me - why?

1 - the handle rotation has started to get sticky and needs a bit of umph to release and get it moving, not the end of the world I admit, but annoying, and especially if tracking wildlife.

2 - if you shoot landscapes in portrait style (or vertical as our freinds over the pond call it) then hyperfocal distancing becomes a complete pain, because locking the focus at a third up from the bottom of the scene is impossible, as the head will not rotate that far forward when used in the upright portrait position.

3 - Getting a level shot is a pain, yes I use a level on the hotshoe, but for a quick setup or grab shot, fine tuning the horizontal positioning with the all ways movement again is a pain.

4 - Shooting stitched pano's, there is no way to lock the head horizontally for a straight line pano series and so it all comes down to guess work and so much fuss, and as you may know, with stitched pano's you need to be quick to get the same cloud formations and lighting etc across the entire scene.

5 - It's relatively heavy compared to such as an "off centre" ball head like Gitzo make, it is larger and taller and does not offer the same arc of movement. And the totally free movement style of the head, especially with your camera and lens mounted, might seem like a good idea, but believe me after a while it just becomes annoying.

So, while this ball head is useful in the beginning, be prepared to grow out of it and spend more money buying something better. So my advice would be, if you are serious about your photography, then why not go the extra mile right from the start and get something like the off centre Gitzo, that is what I am going to do.

True Meaning of Pictures [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
True Meaning of Pictures [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great video that sticks in the mind - buy it!, 27 May 2009
This is an amazing, unique and disturbing video - imagine you had a stills camera and a mate with a video camera, and just happened to be wandering around in the American hillbilly backwoods in the 1970's, and before the film deliverance was made. Where people still hand slaughter hogs (pigs to you and me), drank moonshine, shoot at each other with shotguns, have serpent preachers come visiting, where people go into spiritual raptures, talk in tongues while drinking strychnine as they hang rattle snakes around their necks, while a toothless old lady smokes a corn pipe and cackles in the background. If you can, then imagine the photos you would make and the controversy they would stir up among fellow Americans.

This is exactly what this film documentary covers. Buy it, but don't watch it with the family, or if you are squeamish - frighteningly good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2010 12:58 PM GMT