Profile for Lady Fancifull > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 142

Lady Fancifull "Tinkerbell"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Whiskas Crunch 100 g (Pack of 10)
Whiskas Crunch 100 g (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by them, Liked by me - I wish they were larger to force crunching, 4 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a little bit wary of smaller nuggetty bits of dried, as there is certainly a tendency for one of mine to scoop and swallow rather than exercise their teeth. And this tends to lead to upchuck later. So far.....no sign of this, but should it begin to happen I will reveal the graphic details and revise my rating accordingly.

What I DID like, a lot, about these is that I was able to use them to force my fussiest of three to polish the bowl of the wet stuff in sauce, which she had rejected earlier after she had licked all the gravy/sauce off. This is a favourite trick of this little madam, with even fairly high end 'in gravy' varieties getting used as a liquid lunch only. Jellies and terrines get eaten, in sauce often doesn't.

So......I may have found a way of disguising the dried, well licked remains of in-sauce, by the addition of a few pieces of these. At least till she gets wise to my tricks and develops new ones of her own, or the inevitable interest in a new flavour gets dismissed by 'oh no, not THAT again'

You are advised to use each tub within 4 weeks of opening. I don't think that will be a problem!

5 star as 3 lovers (them) and 1 like (me) meant I got over-ruled. SHOULD upchuck happen I reserve the unfortunate cleaner-ups right of over-rule to change the 'simple majority' rating to one reflecting human species despotism

Simon & Tom Eyelashes Growth Serum: Improves their appearance for thicker, longer lashes. Protects against loss or damage and strengthens the lashes. Also suitable for Eyebrows. With Argan oil and other natural extracts. 7ml
Offered by Your Trading Partner

4.0 out of 5 stars Unchanged lashes but definitely fuller bodied brows, 3 July 2015
I received this as a free product in return for an honest review - see last paragraph

I envy all those with curly fringes around their eyes. My eyelashes are a bit sparse, and certainly look less fulsome than in my youth (sobs) As do my eyebrows - which is a slight blessing as plucking is no longer as needed as in days of yore.

Now, I have been using this night and morning, as directed for about 2 1/2 weeks, and though I have not acquired those yearned for pelmets and tassels fringing my eyes, I've definitely noticed glossier, more obvious eyebrows. If I continue, I might even need to find those eyebrow tweezers again.

And, as it doesn't make sense that brows should improve and lashes not, I suspect its less easy to see the changes in lashes, and will continue

Though the product did not irritate my skin, I did find that I had to be quite careful with application to the upper lashes, as if I was a bit too enthusiastic and careless, it got possible for the product to slightly seep between my lashes and into my eye, which stung a little. Presumably, if you had thick glossy lashes to begin with your dense lash curtains would protect the windows to your soul a little more.

Kudos also to a responsible company, who absolutely accepted my 'honest' might mean critical. Unlike some companies in the field I did not receive an unending stream of emails reminding me that I must post my review - the company agreed with me saying in advance that I would not be posting till some weeks had passed as products like this need time to show their effects. I had intended to give it a good month but as the eyebrow difference is noticeable, have posted earlier

Sheba Tray Select Slices in Gravy Meat Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3
Sheba Tray Select Slices in Gravy Meat Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3

4.0 out of 5 stars A better reception for gravy than some others, 3 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Along with half the world's cats, mine are fussy. And jellied or terrined tends to fare better than gravy, as proper chewing happens. Gravy tends to be eagerly lapped and the juices ferociously licked clean from the slices, 'select' or bog-standard!

This particular Sheba version did at least see 2 out of my 3 get stuck in to proper eating. The quality of meat in the Sheba trays is different from that in their pouches; this is certainly a truth according to my cats, as Sheba trays do get consumed, whereas Sheba pouches and gravy are pretty well licked but not eaten on every occasion.

There is one problem with trays - oozing juices which nastily bathe the hands of the person peeling bag the lid. Pouches easier for us; contents not as nice for them.

Now if only I could find a food liked by my fussiest one, which the other two disliked, then I would be happy. Currently the problem is that the least fussy is a greedy boy, and polishes the plates of others' leaving. Dieting looms if not careful!

Pixnor P2016 Portable 7-in-1 Facial Brush Body Cleansing System with 2 Speeds for Women&Men to Renew Skins with a Refreshed and Smooth Feel-Deeply Cleaning Skin - Natural Anti-aging - Microdermabrasion Cleanser Tool Kit - Exfoliating Dead Skin Cells - Stimulate Collagen - Beauty Care Massager Facial&Body Cleanser Powered by 2*AA battery(Rosy)
Offered by PixnorStore

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap (at the sale price) though not particularly cheerful, 2 July 2015
I must have had about 7 emails from Pixnor asking me to review this item for free in return for an 'honest review' (more later)

As I am quite interested in facial massagers I surrendered, in the end, swayed not a little by the plethora of glowing reviews - most, unsurprisingly perhaps, from those offered the item for free, as I was, in return for my 'honest review'

However.......on the day I had intended to leave a probably 3 star, neutral, well, it's okay BUT review, I had an email from the company asking me to leave a positive review on another site - and OFFERING TO PAY ME £30 - - text as below: (edited to remove any personal identifiers, coupon codes, links etc which Amazon do not allow within texts

We are looking for you to post a deal on hotukdeals (links removed) for our Pixnor 7-in-1 facial brush.....(coupon codes for discount)
We can offer you £30 as a reward if the deal successfully posted

This immediately lowered my star rating - and would have done even if I had been about to glowingly praise the product.

There is an increasing tendency for companies to either bribe, or to bully and intimidate reviewers whose 'honesty' yields to negative responses.

Unsurprisingly, those who are offering better quality 'free product in return for honest review' items accept critical feedback with good grace, and do not sink to negative practices such as organised voting down of reviews/reviewers who have been critical of products.

That is the preamble. Here is the product review

This is a pretty flimsy looking product, clearly turned out very cheaply, and trying to break into what is clearly a lucrative and overcrowded market, by both fair means and foul.

There are several problems with the design:
1) The battery housing case is pretty flimsy, and the snibs are slightly warped - likely to break in due course
2) Batteries - 2 AA - not provided, most items these days do come with this included
3)Being battery driven, the power is very very low, and even at high speed I couldn't say that this removed any more than using an exfoliator with my fingers would have done (using the pink exfoliating head; using the brush head; In fact - my chin and nose felt no different from how that had felt before using the device - completely different feel from use of a facial exfoliator
4) And this proves the BIG 'not thought out' instruction - you are advised that the brush head etc attachments MUST NOT BE WASHED with anything else except WATER, no foamer, no alcohol etc. Here (particularly if you have used the sponges to apply moisturiser, foundation and the like, is a nice little breeding ground for growing your own spots.

There is no point to a device like this if the heads can't be washed with something which will clean them properly. I suspect the instructions (judging by the rest of the leaflet) may not be written by someone with the best grasp of English, so perhaps these washing restrictions can be disregarded.

I can see you would'nt want to subject the detachable heads to any kind of machine wash (they would surely fall apart, being not the most refined in construction) but i can't see why hand washing with something designed to cut through grease and oil is given the no-no
5) Warning about how water musn't come in contact with the body of the massager (wipe the outside with a damp cloth only) kind of suggests that the most normal place to be using this - the bathroom, right after a hot shower has opened the pores - is likely to shorten the shelf life of this considerably, as I guess condensation will work its way into the battery housing
6) This should/could have come in an inexpensive pocket/pouch, to keep all the little heads together.

Okay, probably a bit too much to expect, given the price point.

There is not a lot, positive I can say, other than this did not HURT my face, but I can't see it being used again. In the end, I'll let my fingers do the usual work of massaging and exfoliating, with a suitable product

Though it's the element of attempting to buy/bribe a 5 star review which I find most distasteful.

Admittedly, that 'bribe' did not relate to THIS site, as it is contrary to Amazon's Ts and Cs, but I do find this increasing tendency to bribe reviewers is distasteful. At the end of the day, it COSTS innocent consumers money, if they are persuaded by glowing reviews which only 'glow' because of a cash payment, to buy something which might not have garnered praise if there was no sweetener.

The fact this is a growing trend does not make it acceptable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2015 12:43 PM BST

Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3
Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3

3.0 out of 5 stars One 5 starred, 2 picked in so-so fashion; I got sticky hands, 2 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is a problem, a lot of the time, in this house with items in sauce rather than jelly - not ALWAYS, else I would never get sauced items; Purina Gourmet Perle Chef's Collection Mini Fillets in Gravy gets eaten with a certain degree of approval. So, offered the chance to let my cats review Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, I could see no reason to pass up that opportunity for them.

The endlessly greediest cat performed a swift job on polishing everything off. The other two, sadly, licked with gusto but did not chew, and left the restaurant. There was then a bit of a struggle to stop the greedy one eating far more than his fair share by snaffling the leavings.

I had to resort to my usual tricks with the other two - give them some dried food on top of the unappetising rubbery bits they had left, to persuade them to eat the solid bits of this in with the crunchies they wanted

I'm unlikely to get these again - unless I can find a food the other two like, but greedy one doesn't, so everyone could be happy with their preferred menu.

Finally - though the contents of Sheba alu trays do seem preferred to the contents of Sheba pouches, opening the trays with sauce, as opposed to the trays with jelly/terrines soaks the hands immediately with gravy. Not nice.

The Grapes of Wrath (RSMediaItalia Classics Illustrated Edition)
The Grapes of Wrath (RSMediaItalia Classics Illustrated Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to make the reader rage; a book to make the reader weep in shame and despair, 1 July 2015
John Steinbeck's Pulitzer prize-winning novel was both a colossus of a book, an infinitely worthy winner, and a far-from perfect book, a flawed book.

On the front of the paperback version I started to read (before downloading from Kindle, as there was just too much I needed to underline) was the following quote from Steinbeck:

"I've done my damndest to rip a reader's nerves to rags, I don't want him satisfied"

The Grapes of Wrath was published in 1939 when the machinery of war was providing a terrible solution to the stock market crash and depression of the 30s, which is the subject of this book. It is a book written out of white hot, red hot rage, disgust and righteous polemic against an indifferent, blinkered and self-obsessed capitalism.

The book follows the fortunes of one small family, the Joads, Oklahoma small farmers, homesteaders, and how the move from small family farming to larger and larger conglomerates, changed and destroyed our connections to the land itself, and to each other.

The Joads stand for the thousands of other, unnamed, the small men and women.

Like thousands of other homesteaders, losing their land and their livelihood in the face of conglomerate rapacity, the Joads follow the lure of jobs to be had, fruit-picking (for virtually starvation wages) in California

Steinbeck for sure uses and manipulates his readers, hectors them, lectures them, throws the red book at them, shoves our faces up against our own indifference, our sentimentality, our complicity. Having lacerated us with bruising accounts of our hard-heartedness, of our denial of the beggars in our neighbourhood, he cunningly and deliberately rubs salt in our wounds by exploiting our sentimentality.

The deaths of many, through starvation and illness because of starvation, and the deaths and the suffering of some of the individuals whose journeys we follow, in the book are intercut with the casual death and suffering of animals, whether by our carelessness, or the carelessness of a red in tooth and claw natural world.

Where are we most hurt, where do we weep most - is it for the suffering of our own kind, or is it for the suffering of another species. I knew my tears and my grief for the death of an animal were manipulated by the writer. But I also knew why, and I knew what he was showing me about myself, and could not, in any way, fault his manipulation here.

Steinbeck also punches the reader, again and again, with the righteousness of left wing politics, the infamy of capital. Yes, we live in a world where it is now easy to see that communism and socialism (not to mention other isms) can be as self-serving of its own ideology, as much inclined to sacrifice the individual on the alter of its own drive to `progress' and `the ends justify the means' - but I don't personally have any problem with his polemic, placed in its own time.

Yes, for sure there are long sections which are boring, where, for example, pages and pages are devoted to the hard graft of repairing cars - but, again, I don't mind, because he is wanting to make the reader realise the skill and the dignity of manual work. And yes, there are also at times problems with trying to give a flavour of the speech of the common man - at times the setting down of dialect gets wearing, and makes characters sound a bit simple or idiotic (my prejudices showing, clearly) , whereas this is not what is intended, and I think, again, Steinbeck is trying to offset a literature which is written by, and for, the ruling classes and the intelligentsia.

I have to forgive all these `flaws', these niceties, about what literature should be, how it should NOT be polemic, how we should NOT be so at times crassly manipulated, because this is a book whose power, whose beauty, whose hugeness overrides its imperfections.

My nerves are indeed ragged, I am sick and sore, hurt and confused. I feel as if I have been run over by a proverbial ten ton truck, repeatedly, and then, offered exquisite flowers, delicate, fragile moments, writing of transcendent glory, before, again Steinbeck punches me in the gut and delivers yet another knock-out blow, of polemic, putting me through the emotional wringer, or boring me with the innards of motors.

But I don't care. This is a book which seethes with enormous power, and the roughness of its sometime edges are part of that power. `Perfection' would be, in this case, something to inhibit the power.

I'm grateful, very grateful, to another reviewer (FictionFan) whose own superb review kicked me into reading this

Finally, this particular Kindle download version is brilliant, interlaced as it is with wonderful reproductions of paintings and drawings and stills from the movie which was made of this book. Thanks, again, to FictionFan for persuading me to this version .

SHEBA Pouch Delicious Duos Mixed Selection in Gravy 12 x 85g ,Pack of 4, 48 Pouches

3.0 out of 5 stars Pouches in gravy get licked rather than scoffed, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Delicious, in this house, is absolutely true of the gravy, but, sadly Sheba gravy pouches tend to get the lick, lick, lick treatment, leaving not particularly appetising chucks behind to dry in a rubbery fashion. I then get howled at for more, and only when it becomes apparent that I'm not going to produce more delicious gravy do the chunks slowly get eaten.

What Sheba has in its pouches must be very different from what is in its alu trays, as the pouches don't really get approved of here.

One cat, particularly is not amused. It did make me wonder about the quality of the meat, as, on the rare occasions I bestir myself to the grisly job (as a vegetarian) of getting some poor little dismembered chicken wings/thighs etc to cook for the beasts, I just wrap the things in foil, roast and shred the meat off for them and there is no gravy, little licking, just polishing off those meat pieces

3 1/2 stars, edited to round down rather than the previous round up - as one really has a 'whatever' attitude to these, and the other two are variable in their enthusiasm - and it was the rather rapid change of one of the 'variable' ones from, 'this is more or less okay' to 'this will just not DO' which now means only one of three (so far) approaches this with any sort of pleasure, and the % uneaten of rubbery bits is rising, and the howls of hunger are getting louder; rubber bits from delicious duos, once licked dry of gravy are no longer recognised as food, it seems

Sheba Tray Classics in Terrine with Tuna, 85 g, Pack of 18
Sheba Tray Classics in Terrine with Tuna, 85 g, Pack of 18

4.0 out of 5 stars Cats into Wolves, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well This was popular. I, not to mention the cats, far prefer the varieties in Sheba alutrays to the versions which come in pouches. There is clearly a difference, as my three are a little sniffy about the pouches, and seem to enthuse more about the tray versions.

The terrine consistency of this flavour also went down well, as they chew and eat food which is in a more jellied version, instead of just licking what is gravied, leaving nasty little beige lumps of whatever behind, to be not so enthusiastically eventually eaten when its obvious nothing else is forthcoming

No such problem with this. Wolfed. Hoovered. Vanished. They are expensive though, and, sorry, dear cats, will be for occasional, rather than everyday. I will keep my eye out for special offers.

Expense only drops the star. As far as the furry ones were concerned, it was love at first bite.

Melange 6-Piece Metallic Red Handle and White Blade Ceramic Knife Set with 2-Tier Universal Knife Block, Black Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting edge ceramics, 1 July 2015
Looking for a new set of kitchen knives I discovered this set of ceramics at a slashed (or carefully sliced!) price

I had never come across the concept of ornament and dining set knives (!) and was intrigued enough to investigate........and then, snappily by

Good heavens! On first attempting to cut a great chunky (raw) cauliflower in half I couldn't believe what was happening - a hard vegetable, usually needing a bit of firm welly, had become like butter (and softened butter at that) to cut through.

Later, I tried a little experiment with a ceramic fruit knife compared with an serrated steel knife which I usually use when making fruit salad. Again, my nectarine under the ceramic knife felt completely different from the other half of the same nectarine with the steel knife. Using the ceramic the fruit just yielded, no sensation of resistance at all, whereas with the steel knife I could feel the usual resistance with a fruit which still has juicy firmness.

The only challenge with these wonderful knives will be that it will be necessary to pay attention to my chopping, slicing and the like activity in the kitchen, else I could find a finger tip in the fruit salad

I would have liked a bread knife as a final twirl of perfection

The kitchen block contains hundreds of tiny plastic sticks which are washable, and the blades slip between them without damage.

Unfortunately, these knives are not really suitable to use with glass chopping boards (which I have!) as they are likely to damage the blade, so the less attractive and potentially less hygienic options of wood or polyethylene should be used. Or, in my case, now, bought!

Blackberry Battery Charger Bundle for Blackberry Z10 Device
Blackberry Battery Charger Bundle for Blackberry Z10 Device
Offered by SWH DIRECT LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me to love my Z10 for longer, 28 Jun. 2015
I'm definitely blackberry loyal, rather than attracted to those green fruit or cartoon robot phones! The big thumbs down to my 2 year old Z10 is the pretty appalling battery life. The phone loses charge even if it is turned to silent and not being used or referred to.

Constant recharging of the battery means also that 2 years on I am now on my second replacement battery. So...........for days on the road, where charge can get very low before access to a charging point is reached, this charging bundle is a great device. AND the price includes a battery too.

You connect this either directly to the lead and plug which came WITH your Blackberry, to charge it on its own, or, you connect it onwards to your phone with the little lead hidden away in the removable rubber strip on the side of the battery casing. And then you charge both your phone and this together. What is then brilliant is that if you pop this into your bag (and the battery is nicely protected in the case) and your phone is out of charge, by connecting the charger to your phone, the charged battery in this charges your phone up, without needing to go to the faff of changing batteries.

I'm delighted with this, even though the 'instructions' are a bit basic, but, that's what reviews are for, so, thanks to the more techy minded reviewers who explained the info I needed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20