Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer "darrylp21"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Kris Longknife - Emissary
Kris Longknife - Emissary

3.0 out of 5 stars A new story arc, a reworking of existing relationships and a new challenge - but enough of the quips., 9 May 2017
I like the direction that this story arc is moving, which could keep the story fresh.
I skimmed or just jumped past whole chapters and only read the last 20% because I found the first 80% so tedious. There are only so many quip filled meetings I can read through and really Kris and co should have grown out of these.
I recently re-read the series from the beginning and can say that Mike Shepherd has demonstrated that for the most part Kris is more mature than the opening books - except for the constant quip filled discussions.
When Kris escaped Madigan’s Rainbow in Furious it barely took a quarter of the book because the pace was kept reasonably high. In this book the pace is much slower and less impressive for it.

Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension Book 1)
Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately went looking for the second book, 23 Mar. 2017
This is the first I've come across this author and the author I know who is most similar is Trudi Canavan for both the relative complexity and simplicity of their worlds. This main thing that I liked about this story (small spoiler) is that while everyone else appears to be getting stronger the protagonist appears only marginally stronger at the end of the story than at the beginning. There are a lot of characters in this book some more legends than active characters for the most part which I found a little challenging to keep on top and will need to recheck the character list when the next book comes out.

Kris Longknife: Bold
Kris Longknife: Bold

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to bring action packed adventure into the life of Kris Longknife, 28 Oct. 2016
This is the 14th book in the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. The trouble with all books that exist as a series is that they have to re-introduce characters for the first time reader. Mike Shepherd managed to do this and at the same time remind his longer followers of some of the beginnings of the story. I found I had forgotten Kris's younger brother, I knew why Kris had the wounded lion award but forgot the commanders name and so on. In this book Mike Shepard brings the Kris Longknife and Vicky Peterwald story lines back together and faces the challenge that the reader probably knows more about what is going on than the protagonist. This was dealt with by staying firmly with Kris's and Wardhaven's perspective at all times and introducing only the necessary characters from the Vicky Peterwald story into this one. I found the beginning to be both action packed and at the same time eagerly wanting to bring the two girls back together again as soon as possible and happens just after the half way point. Mike Shepherd also takes the opportunity in this book to point out the military impact of the previous 2-3 books in relation to ship fighting which became another facet to look forward to in this book. If you have enjoyed the previous books in the series the 14th book continues to do justice.

Smiffy's Fever Mini Top Hat
Smiffy's Fever Mini Top Hat

1.0 out of 5 stars Fall apart before it even arrived., 4 Mar. 2016
Arrived in 3 parts, the brim, the head band and the top. The ribbon band around the top was falling off. Improvised and used pins to hold it together so that it could be used for the event, but otherwise it fell apart again. Very poor quality construction.

Getting Wilde: Immortal Vegas, Book 1
Getting Wilde: Immortal Vegas, Book 1

2.0 out of 5 stars The little I have discovered of the main character is that she is crude and have a lust / hate relationship with the magician, 26 Oct. 2015
After working hard to get to 25% through this book I have thrown in the towel. The main character has made no impact to the story, but has been used to dump the world background into the reader. The little I have discovered of the main character is that she is crude and have a lust / hate relationship with the magician. Authors whose female lead led the story for me include Debra Dunbar in A Demon Bound; Patricia Briggs in Moon Called; Lisa Shearing in Magic Lost Trouble Found. All have female leads who already have many skills for the world they live in.

The Skull Throne (The Demon Cycle, Book 4)
The Skull Throne (The Demon Cycle, Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars In one way I can see Brett demonstrating Arlen's prophecy to Jardir about what will happen to the Krashins in his absence but th, 10 April 2015
IMO this book would have fit well within the Game of Thrones series combined with a cull in some of the side characters. In one way I can see Brett demonstrating Arlen's prophecy to Jardir about what will happen to the Krashins in his absence but the level of gore seems to have gone up a notch to my disappointment. The demons get little more than a single chapter, which seems sad since they are one of the key characters in the series.

I will say that one of the characters killed should have been allowed to live - there are other characters that bring less to the story IMO. Since the level of gore went up I found myself skimming pages so I'm not sure if the text showed his death or proclaimed his death. If it is the latter I hope that it has been faked - but from what I've seen so far that is not Brett's style and I have to admit that in war people die.

Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls
Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably a good book for mothers, 19 Jan. 2015
I felt that Biddulph's message can be summarised by you need a good role model in the mother. 95% of this book is on things that a mother can do as a role model.

The reason I'm giving it only 3 stars is I wished I knew that before buying it. It might be a great book for mother's but since my daughter lost her mother just after turning ten I'm left feeling very disappointed.

Shade: A Tor.Com Original (Jumper)
Shade: A Tor.Com Original (Jumper)

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing short story from a 3rd party point of view, 19 Jan. 2015
If you have made it to the 3rd and / or 4th book in the Jumper series then this is worth having a look at. In the 3rd book there is content describing the aid work that the Rice family does - I don't think that's too much of a spoiler. This short story looks at that aid work from the point of view of one of the recipients. Since it is a short story it is relatively simple compared to the novels, in particular it stays in one single point of view for the entire story. If found this single point of view very refreshing which has encouraged to read this story many times compared to the main novels. I would buy a book made up of these shorter stories from an outsiders perspective i.e. Can you imagine how the UN security council might behave if teleporting was possible for a select few?

The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire
The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire

3.0 out of 5 stars Yay story is over, 30 May 2014
I'm not going to repeat any spoilers, even from Clare herself.

This book is pretty dark - I would suggest its the darkest of the six books.

If the reason for reading this is Clary and / or Jace, then like the other books you'll probably like it. For me that relationship story was essential done and dusted. There is only so many times I can bear to read about how Clary feels about Jace etc etc.

Why 3 stars? I skimmed whole chapters at times to keep the story moving without delving too deeply into all the little side stories that might have been there for story length, or simply that Clare was try to create something bigger than these books are. New characters are added, which to me is just another example of Clare not having enough story for the contract.

What did I like? I wanted more Simon / Izzy and by the very end I was satisfied. I also like what happens with the werewolves in New York - Clare could have abandoned them by the half way point but kept them interesting and relevant, including the smaller conflicts that can happen within groups that are not so closely tied to the main conflict.

What I was impressed about was the way that Clare actually spent time pointing out how the actions after the war are likely to shape the next conflict, who takes part, even why. As an analogy the second world war took place in large part because of the decisions made at the end of the first world war. Why is there so much conflict in the middle east - again look at the decisions of the first and second world wars. Clare does this by using Magnus's long lifetime as the basis for these hinted at prophecies.

To end there is a quote from Simon I would like to add that comes in the epilogue:
"It's like a family reunion where I barely know anyone but everyone know me"

Fujisan
Fujisan

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 Different and sometimes long winded essays that touch Mount Fuji, one so good it left me in tears., 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Fujisan (Kindle Edition)
As a whole it's okay. It's worth covering each of the 4 essays briefly but as a whole it wasn't worth it for me. One theme that appears is the constant reflection on the past and how the interaction with Mount Fuji either impacted or changed the life of the protagonist. In many cases I found the reflection to be long winded and I'm not sure if this an indication of Japanese writing, this author or just this topic. The book itself is quite short, only 188 pages so only 40 pages per essay. I read the whole thing in about 4 hours. After reading it I WILL look at other work by this author but with caution.

Recommend for Child of Light.

I'll cover each of the 4 essays:
1 - The Blue Summit
I read the excerpt from the book before purchasing and obviously the beginning of this story is the one that I read. While I liked the end of the story there was just too much blah blah blah about it and I struggled to keep track of what was a now, what was past and what was a dream. Finally of all of the stories I felt this one had the most tenacious link to Mount Fuji. It was a struggle to finish and a struggle to read on afterwards. Two stars.

2. Sea of Trees
This story is set within the part of Mount Fuji that people go to suicide. It follows three high school boys trying to camp out one night before all setting off in different directions. A bit of a struggle to finish and was left with an ending that should have had a far more intense build up rather than the philosophical debate about trying to save somebody who tries to commit suicide vs just letting them get on with it. It should have been one thing or the other. Two stars.

3. Jammal
I kinda liked this in a funny way. From the start the obvious goal is set in front of you - get rid of the trash. However the protagonist is developed in such a way that you are able to related to the hoarder. Mount Fuji's link is living in it's shadow and it see's everything as much as a deity does - the hoarder, the protagonist and the protagonists parents are all examined to some extent. Quite good - 3.5 stars.,

4. Child of Light
This was the essay that made it all worth while. We meet the protagonist, a maternity nurse, saying a prayer for a dead baby at a shrine on Mount Fuji, although that is not it's only connection. This is not a nice story as such, since it has a brief but graphical account of a fetus that is aborted and dies outside the womb. It covers the nurses struggle to continue in the face of the part of her job that deals with abortions. In this essay you are with the nurse from the first sentence and is a superb essay in a different class to the other 3. The author, Randy Taguchi, brings all of her skill to this essay including a good dream sequence, and managed to get me to question my hatred of the person who has had the abortion, the same person that I'd spent most of the story really really growing to hate. The ending brought an unexpected tear to my eye and I would suggest that you but this only to read this one essay. 5 Stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4