Profile for Jason Tsang > Reviews

Content by Jason Tsang

Jason Tsang "RacingGreen" (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
UAG Folio iPhone 6 Plus / 6s Plus Feather-Light Composite [BLACK] Military Drop Tested Phone Case

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money!!!, 16 Sept. 2015
I brought this late 2015, because I needed a tough case for my iPhone6+ and since I am going on holiday, I needed something decent. I came across the UAG range and it looked like a well built case. I liked this case because you have a cover and the reviews for this model for other phones have been positive. Whilst on holiday (I had this case for less than a fortnight), the plastic edges of the tab started to come off. This is a bit stupid and for something that is of military standard, it was shockingly bad. Military standard for third world countries more like. Seven months later, the two sides of the tab separated and nine months later, you can now put your finger between the cover. I have tried to glue the tab, but it has not helped I wish I didn't buy this case as it is a waste of money. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere too. I will never buy another UAG product ever again.

Powertraveller Powermonkey Discovery 5V Portable Charger
Powertraveller Powermonkey Discovery 5V Portable Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 28 Sept. 2013
Anybody with a smart phone knows only too well that the battery will not last all day. I have been looking for a backup battery for a while now. I chose the Powertraveller Powermonkey Discovery Portable Charger, because it has a metal casing and looks robust. This backup battery will charge your iPhone twice and which is more than enough for a days use outside the home or office. It comes very handy when you're only holiday. Sure the larger solar powered models may have more capacity, but there isn't really that much sun in the UK and it would mean carrying a large unit and would need to be charged via the mains anyway. The size of this backup battery is no bigger than your 90's candy bar phone and great if you're a believer in travelling light. It will charge up your phone at the same speed as the mains, but you would need to use the charging/USB cable that comes with your phone.

What I don't like about it is that it is a nuisance to get charging. It doesn't always work the first time. It seems to work fine in the UK, but when you're abroad and you're fiddling with it for some time, it is a bit annoying. Also, a full charge takes several hours, so you plug it in before you go to sleep and it will be ready by the time you have breakfast. I would take a spare travel adaptor with you as you're probably going to need to charger up other devices or your camera batteries. Another thing I don't like about it is the lack of a lead for iPhones. You get a whole host of adaptors, which look a bit flimsy, but nothing for iPhones or iPods etc.

Tai Chi Chuan: Decoding the Classics for the Modern Martial Artist
Tai Chi Chuan: Decoding the Classics for the Modern Martial Artist
by Dan Docherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the Chuan back into Tai Chi Chuan, 24 Nov. 2009
Books on Tai Chi are quite common, but the majority you'll find in most bookshops, do not offer anything meaty or of substance. Those who practice Tai Chi as an exercise are well catered for, but those who want to go for the more martial aspect of the art are less fortunate. Dan's new book answers this need and does so very well. Many books go through theories, but I feel that Dan explains the theory side the best. Its written in plain and frank manner, easy to understand. Where most authors provide a brief commentary, Dan describes how these theories are used and examples are described at length. Tai Chi Chuan can be practical and highly relevant in modern society and the material describes how it can be so. This book isn't just for Tai Chi people, but also for those who practise other styles of kung fu. Like Dan's previous book "Complete Tai Chi Chuan" will not be everybody's cup of tea, but let's be honest, they're better than a lot of Tai Chi books out there. Most books are a reflection of the author's opinions and the application of their knowledge. This book is no different, but you get the benefit of a well researched book and from a teacher who has a wealth of experience. Good books on Chinese kung fu are limited, but "Tai Chi Chuan - Decoding the classics for the Modern Martial Artist" is a rare gem. As a Chinese Wudang student, I find the content to be fair, honest and answers many of my questions. Since I've purchased my copy, it has never seen the bookshelf. Worth every penny, buy...

York Mini Hand Weights 2 x 0.5kg
York Mini Hand Weights 2 x 0.5kg
Offered by Small Dog Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite handy, 18 April 2009
I was looking for some small handweights, but they either came in a set or in lurid girly colours. These were ideal, easy to hold and good value.

Dyson DC20 Stowaway Animal Cylinder Vacuum cleaner
Dyson DC20 Stowaway Animal Cylinder Vacuum cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying extra for, 10 Feb. 2009
We had a Dyson some 7-8 years ago and we thought highly of it. Due to neglect on my part, it broke down and we've brought a number of other brands, because they were cheaper. After the last one started to go, I decided to go back to Dyson again. We now have a cat and I felt it was worth paying extra for a Dyson that can cope with pet hairs and the dirt they may bring inside. I was not disapointed and the DC20 was everything I could ask for. It was such an improvement over previous vacuum cleaners. I would never buy another brand unless they can offer the support and the spares as Dyson does.

Flags of our Fathers & Letters from Iwo Jima (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ryan Phillippe

5.0 out of 5 stars The human cost of war, 17 Dec. 2007
I have generally been tough on war films, because they are often sensitive subjects and hard to do well. When I found out about the release of these films and that Clint Eastward is behind them, well then it must be worth watching. Flags of our Fathers & Letters from Iwo Jima are both made to get you thinking. They don't glamourise war, but rather to portray the human cost and the suffering of soldiers. Soldiers that are actually people with feelings and ideals. War is violent and there are bodies blown apart, but the guts and gore have been minimised and only there if it is integral to the plot or storytelling. Some might say they're a bit long at over two hours plus, but I don't agree. You need that amount of time to play the characters out properly. I enjoy it when my mind is exercised this way and Clint Eastward as a director just gets better. Most directors make one movie and tells it from one side. However, Clint Eastward just does it his way and shows it from both sides. I'd give him credit for that, because it worked and they won't be forgotten in a hurry.

Sony Ericsson W880i Sim Free Mobile Phone
Sony Ericsson W880i Sim Free Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 20 Jun. 2007
I was previously using an SE W810i, it was the best phone I've ever had. OK, the V3 Razer had style, the W810i has it all where it counts. Great camera, video, radio, MP3 and nice ear phones and decent sized memory card etc. If you've had one you'll know what I mean.

When the time came to upgrade, there was only one real choice, the W880i. I love the slim form factor and probably the first thin Sony Ericsson phone. When I switched on the phone, most things were there from my previous phone, but better. Only a few difference with the buttons and switches. After playing with it, I've found that there is no flash (ok it was not a Cybershot, but it helps) and no radio. OK I don't use the latter much, but it helps. Sony Ericsson takes their phones seriously, 1Gb memory card, nice ear phones, style and a decent camera. All this make this phone miles ahead of other music phones. Its 3G, but it is not like it is well used in the UK, but it is so thin and other 3G phones are still a bit chunky. The camera is something I use a lot, but it somehow doesn't take pictures as nice as the way the W810i did. In many ways it is an improvement over the W810i, but it isn't quite there, but its almost perfect. Quite a Swiss army knife of a phone. Ah, and as a phone the reception and sound quality is very good.

Practical Tai Chi Student's Handbook
Practical Tai Chi Student's Handbook
by Kie Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every Wudang Tai Chi student, 28 May 2007
I have previous known about Kie Brooks through websites on Wudang/Practical Tai Chi International instructors. My first Tai Chi book was Dan Docherty's "Complete Tai Chi Chuan" and it was great for everything you need to know about his style as well as Tai Chi in general. However, as time progressed, I felt the need for another book to help me learn. This book was it and it is a very well crafted book. The book is written in English and Chinese with entire hand and weapons forms listed with names and some explanatory notes. Also helpful are the pictures to show you what you should look like at a particular point in the form. Whilst there are written instructions in Dan Docherty's book, there just aren't enough pictures. I recommend this book to any Wudang student and it should be enough to help you up to advance level. Though it is good, it is no substitute for attending classes and training in your own time. Some things are taught in class and are not written in books and the author reminds the reader of that fact.

Buy...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2011 10:41 AM GMT

Seven Swords [DVD] (2005)
Seven Swords [DVD] (2005)
Dvd ~ Donnie Yen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars An incomplete work of art, 18 May 2007
This review is from: Seven Swords [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
Tsui Hark is recognised as one of HK's leading directors, but this movie is not as good as it should have been. Seven Swords is actually a long storey like Lord of the Rings, but squeezing main points in one movie is too much and the end results is that it does not really make sense. The cast is fine, but the designs are a bit OTT and that ruined the feel of the movie. To the point it lent itself too far into Chinese fantasy comics. The movie's ending is too fast and should point to the fact that there should be a sequal, but it it did so poorly, that one was never made.

I respect Tsui Hark's work, but I am not sure he is making the full usage of this creative abilities and has difficulties making CGI work. Perhaps Tsui Hark should really have a good think about reviewing his method and outlook, because Seven Swords seems too much like an early 90's effort. With so many big names, it would not have been cheap. Seven Swords is a well known Wuxia story and so much potential have been missed. There were similar faults with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. However it was stylish and aethetically pleasing enough to be liked without that being a issue.

There is a lot that is right about this movie, but so much more that is wrong. If you like action and fights, but don't care for style, then it is good. If you want style and substance, then you will be disappointed. Of Chinese Wuxia movies that have come out to the West over the last 10 years, Seven Swords has got to be the weakest. Please do watch it, because there are far worst movies out there...

Happy Together [1997] [DVD]
Happy Together [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leslie Cheung

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant till the last..., 18 May 2007
This review is from: Happy Together [1997] [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a fan of Wong Kar-Wai movies for a while and I am also a fan of the two actors who play the main characters. It is easy to dismiss this as a Chinese attempt to make a gay movie, but it is not as simple as that and with Wong Kar-Wai, it is never a simple story. The story is not about glamour and the characters are two regular guys from HK. What is special about this movie, isn't the director's choice to make a gay movie, but a movie where two people struggle to get what they want in a relationship. One is openly promiscuous the other is a stable kind of guy. The former is selfish and only wants the latter when he has run out of other choices. The latter struggles to find comfort in that relationship and in the end he finds happiness leaving the relationship altogether.

The movie is quite realistic and deals with the issues within relationships. Choices are hard, but you have to make them. Love is an ideal, but what will you do and sacrifice to remain in love and at what cost? There are a lot of unhappy relationships out there. Sometimes it is a matter if circumstances, but at the end of the day, you have to help yourself. These problems don't just exist in gay relationships, but also those of straight people.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3