Profile for Geeky Tim > Reviews

Content by Geeky Tim

Geeky Tim (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
AUKEY Quick Charge 3.0 USB Wall Charger 5 Ports 55.5W for Samsung S8/S7, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2 and More
Offered by yueying

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Aukey product., 5 Jun. 2017
Well made and works perfectly, powering a Raspberry Pi as well as a fan, soldering iron and charging my phone all at the same time.

USB 3.0 Portable Slim External DVD RW CD RW Drive DVD CD Burner, Writer, Copier, Reader, Rewritable Optical DVD Drive for all Laptop, Desktop, Netbook, Notebook, Apple MAC - Victorian Systems® (DVD RW Drive)
Offered by Victorian Systems

UGREEN Chromecast Ethernet Adapter, USB Ethernet for Chromecast,Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast 2nd, Micro USB to RJ45 10/100Mbps Network Adapter with 1m USB Cable Length for Power,

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference it makes!, 6 April 2017
Despite not being too far from my WiFi router, I was really having stuttering problems with my original Chromecast in my garden office; it really shouldn't have 'cos the signal was good, but I think I was getting interference from the laser cutter and 3D printer running at the same time. Electrical noise really doesn't help with streaming via WiFi.

Anyway, I've been looking for a way to improve it for a while, until I came across this new cable. You plug in the microUSB to the Chromecast as usual, and the other end to the power, and the third 'end' (!) has an ethernet port! Worked first time! I was expecting to have to reset the device so that it would use ethernet in preference, but nope, it defaulted to the Ethernet connection. Now streaming is flawless!

Thoroughly recommend this if you've got the same problem.

500ml Heavy Duty Spray Carpet Adhesive Glue Underlay Carpet tiles
500ml Heavy Duty Spray Carpet Adhesive Glue Underlay Carpet tiles
Offered by Glamour Sales Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!, 28 Feb. 2017
Terrible - clogs up after a couple of sprays and cannot be unclogged

VonHaus Single Arm LCD LED Monitor Desk Mount Bracket for 13"-27" Screens with 45° Tilt, 360° Rotation & 180° Pull Out Swivel Arm - Max VESA 100x100
Offered by DOMU UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well built monitor stand!, 15 Nov. 2016
At this price I was expecting something as little more flimsy, but was very surprised and pleased that it is really well made and supports my monitor well.

Multi-Cables CAT6 20m Outdoor waterproof - CCA - Direct Burial Ethernet Network Cable - 550 Mhz-20 meter
Offered by AccessFox

5.0 out of 5 stars Very strong cable, 14 Nov. 2016
Perfect cable to go from the study to the log cabin. Very tough, and would go underground unprotected (although I did put mine in conduit that was already there.). Highly recommended! And at a very affordable price. Would be good if they could offer these lengths without plugs (cut mine off).

UGREEN Micro USB Cable,1m USB A to Micro B Android Charger with Aluminum Case Charging for Samsung Galaxy,Nexus,LG,Sony,Xiaomi,HTC,Motorola,Kindle,PS4 Controller etc,Rose Gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all microUSB cables are the same!, 5 Nov. 2016
There is a big difference between a good quality and a poor quality, cheap microUSB cable. There are three main uses for microUSB cables; charging things, transferring data, and powering things. The quality of the cable can affect all three.

The main issues with a poor cable can actually limit the amount of power that the cable can transmit from the power supply to the device, meaning that it takes longer to charge, or if you are powering a device like a Raspberry Pi, the device may not even receive the power it requires. This is due to the resistance that the cable offers.

When transferring data, poor cables can limit the speed that can be achieved or even stop the transfer completely.

So how does this cable stack up against some others?

This Ugreen cable is 50cm long. Both connectors (USB and microUSB) are both extremely well made - enclosed in 'rubber' (or whatever material used) surrounded by metal. They both feel very well made, with enough distance between where the cables connect to the plugs to mean that there is little chance of fatigue of the joints between the cable and the connectors.

In use, and compared with some other cheap (yes, I used to buy cheap cables in my younger days before I knew the difference) this cable shows its superiority. Resistance is low; this cable supplied 1.33 amps at 5.1v to my phone, while the cheaper one could only supply 0.82 amps at 5.08v. That's a BIG difference in amperage, and will mean that the phone will charge MUCH quicker with the uGreen cable.

I had similar results with transferring data - this uGreen cable was slightly quicker.

My Raspberry Pi could not be powered by the cheaper cable - it simply could not transfer the power that my Pi3 required to run without giving the rainbow 'low power' symbol. Absolutely no issues with this Ugreen cable!

So, okay, this cable may not be the cheapest, but it certainly is good. Very good. Now that I have tried one of their cables, I will be getting more, and recommend that if you care about how quickly your device charges or how often you need to replace those cheap cables (and I've almost run out of them due to breakage of one part or other since I've discovered the difference) you spend a little more on your cables by getting this one, or ones like this.

UGREEN Bluetooth Audio Receiver, 3.5mm Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 EDR Audio Receiver,Music Adapter with 3.5mm Jack For HiFi System,Home Spot,Speakers,Headphone,PC, MP3,Car Stereo,Home Sound System

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluetooth Receiver, 2 Nov. 2016
For: Sound Quality, build, looks, packaging, English voice!
Neutral: Long cables
Against: Nothing

I spend about an hour and a half a day commuting to and from work each day, and I would go pretty mad if I didn't have anything to listen to, and to be more productive I listen to podcasts. The car does have an auxilary input for which I could use a direct lead from the phone to the car, but I always find the cable a real pain; a bluetooth device is much neater.

Lets start with the packaging. I know it's not the most important bit (it'll end up in the bin quickly) but I have found that the better a product is, the better the packaging. This item comes in a folded cardboard case that presents the device as soon as you open it. The careful design of the box shows that UGreen cares about the presentation of their devices.

Onto the receiver. It measures about 55 by 55 by 11 mm. The build quality is excellent - you can't see any joints. There is a metal button on the top that turns the device on and off, announced by an English (not American) accent through any attached speakers.

Two cables are supplied - a microUSB cable for recharging and a 3.5mm audio cable for connecting the receiver to your audio system. Both are pretty long - longer than I need but some may find that they need the length to bring the receiver around to the front of their audio system. Remember that you can get 3.5mm to RCA cables if you want to plug it into a home amp. Both cables are also good quality, with solid moulded plugs.

One of the things I didn't really think about in the car was the audio quality of the receivers I used in the past, but it was only when I started using this one that I realised that not all Bluetooth receives are the same! This one is certainly much better than any of the others I have. Bass is great (specified down to 20Hz), and top-end is also higher than most, at 22kHz.

Finally, a question to myself; would I recommend one of these to a friend. Well, yes, I certainly can, without hesitation, whether using it in your car or turning your home amp into a Bluetooth enabled amp.

Having other UGreen devices, I have to recommend them for quality - every cable and the memory card reader I have from them are on par with the best out there, and much, much better than all the cheaper ones you can get. I'll certainly be buying more from them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Samsung EB595675LU Battery for Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 (Non-Retail Packaging)
Samsung EB595675LU Battery for Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 (Non-Retail Packaging)
Offered by RS Traders

1.0 out of 5 stars Already gone bad, 2 Oct. 2016
Only a few months old, and this battery has failed - it is already bulging and is therefore dangerous. Under UK law I should be able to return a faulty item, but I cannot find any way here on Amazon.

Ugreen USB Wall Charger 2 Dual ports Max 3.4A Travel Charger with Power IQ Technology,Surge Protection, Automatic Identification,for iPhone 6/5S/5/4S, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Galaxy S5/ S4/ S3, Note 4/ 3, Cameras, MP5/MP4, Other Smart Phones and Tablets 2 port (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ugreen do it again - another quality product!, 10 Sept. 2016
I'm getting to really like Ugreen products! Every one I have got so far has 'quality' written all over it, starting with the packaging right up to the materials they are made with.

Lets face it: one USB charger is never enough. While you can get 'bricks' with 4, 6 or 8 USB ports, they are big, taking lots of space on your bag. This one is surprisingly small, with a 2A port and a 1A port, allowing me to charge my phone and tablet at the same time. Currently I'm charging a tablet and running a USB fan in this horrible muggy weather! I could even run one or two of my many Raspberry Pi's.

So if you need to charge or power two devices at the same time, look no further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4