Profile for Denton > Reviews

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray]  [2017] [Region Free]
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray] [2017] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Quadrilogy, 18 Dec. 2016
I watched Rogue One on the 16th December, the day of release and the day I turned 39. I was born in 1977, the release year of A New Hope.

Star Wars has been a massive part of my life. It's enthralled me, moved me, shaped me and even dictated my career. After the woeful prequels, I pretty much gave up on Star Wars emulating the original trilogy. The Force Awakens was fun and entertaining, but I got a bit bored re-watching it as it's about as shallow as a teaspoon. It's very much a kids film, which the originals never really were. They were dark, scary, epic and challanging adventures where you dared to hope a small band of out-gunned rebels could defeat the might of the Empire, all packaged as kids films.

I didn't have much hope for Rogue One then... Oh my good God! I saw something I'd persumed left for dead. The original magic was bought screaming to life in a way I never dreamed possible. It's damn near perfect. A few simple changes to the music and the opening would make it completely perfect.

The epic, brilliant original trilogy is now a wonderful, beautiful quadrilogy and that's the highest possible praise that anyone can give this film. it is a new hope that future classics might see the light of day.

No Man's Sky (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS4)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially Amazing, Ultimately Very Boring, 17 Aug. 2016
This review is from: No Man's Sky (PS4) (Video Game)
When you first power up your ship and blast into space, It's maybe one of the most exciting, best moments in a game ever. As is landing on your next few planets.

Then things go downhill quickly. It's very boring and repetitive. Settlements and space stations are all the same, empty and lacking in life. The interactions there are also painfully dull.

Most planets are rocky and littered with the same core elements for mining. They look the same and mining them is tedious. The flora is initially cool looking. but ultimately looks and feels the same across the galaxy. It's seriously repetetive and few planets look anything like the trailers. Even the few that do feel the same as the rest at their core, since the gameplay is so repetitive.

I warped sixty times, used three black holes and was still only half way across the galaxy. I gave up caring and traded the game in. It's too boring to complete.

It's a good model around which a great sequel can be made. It needs a story and a heck of a lot more moving parts to make up worlds and animals. The stakes need to rise as you move through the game. As it stands, they're the same from the first second onwards. I've seen the end on youtube also and it will likely really anger you after all the effort you've put in. Basically, Hello Games need to employ a team of 200 quality game designers to help them move beyond the mathematical side of game making. They need to build a fun experience on top of the maths. At present, they haven't and it makes the game intolerable after the first 20-30 hours.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2016 7:01 PM BST

Walplus 30x30 cm Wall Stickers Glow in Dark Moon Removable Self-Adhesive Mural Art Decals Vinyl Home Decoration DIY Living Bedroom Office Décor Wallpaper Kids Room Gift, Multi-colour
Offered by I-WallArt

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and very bright, 1 Mar. 2016
Amazing. I have some of those glow stars next to it and they're almost invisible by comparison in terms of luminosity. If you shine a torch on it, it takes seconds to charge.

It's a good size and very peaceful to look at in the dark until sleep arrives. I'm pleasantly surprised all round. I also stuck it at the wrong orientation initially and it easily peeled off and restuck. It's made of fairly plyable and sturdy plastic.

I'd definitely recommend buying one for every bedroom. They're really cool.

eKids Star Wars Millennium Falcon Bluetooth Speaker
eKids Star Wars Millennium Falcon Bluetooth Speaker
Offered by martinibazar

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth £50, 20 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Star Wars Classic 7 (Electronics)
Go to a toy shop and view the product before purchase. The plastic is really cheap looking and when the rear engine light is illuminated, it glows through parts of the falcon, ruining the effect.

High and low frequency sounds cause the speaker to distort badly. I can only get it up to almost half volume when paired with my xperia z1 phone before the sound gets really bad.

I bought it in Smyths for 39.99 and still can't help feel it should sell for 19.99. In low light, with background music, like at an outdoor bbq, it could look quite special.

As a display piece it's not great as it looks cheap and as a speaker it's very average.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
Offered by Go2Games

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Graphics, Fun, short and generic story, 26 Nov. 2015
The look of this game, the graphics and the lighting effects, brought a smile to my face. The opening is amazing. Outside Forza 6, this is the best looking Xbox One game I've played.

It feels very similar to the last Tomb Raider in terms of exploring and the story being based in one region, which is good because that was a classic game.

However, the second time round it was only fun. There is still a lack of feeling that you're a Tomb Raider. There are the same hidden tombs, but they're small side diversions. It's more of an action adventure with a dash of mythical lore.

I also found the location looked very similar all the way through with a few unique buildings. I remember the Tomb Raider series on the PS One, where Lara jetted around the world following a series of clues. I wish the'd go back to that, as that variety is needed to raise this franchise above what is becomming an average formula. It's still fun, just not amazing.

The story was the weakest point. There wasn't much to it and it borrowed heavily from similar things, even the first Tomb Raider film. The whole anicent race of super-knights living in a lost mountain city is the exact same ending as uncharted 2 and I felt that was the weakest point of that game, as it was generic and uninventive as hell back then too. The whole Robin Hood and his merry band of men, fighting to protect the entrance to the city was also badly handled. especially the dwellings and costume design. It was just silly.

I couldn't engage with many of the characters as they felt like tired almalgams of a hundred other characters. Jonah and Lara were the only enjoyable characters.

That said, for the short playtime, I had fun and would definitely recommend playing it. People like me, in their thirties, will probably enjoy it less than younger players as you've seen it all before, done better, with more scope over a longer play time.

Acer H7550BD 1080p DLP 3D Home Cinema Projector - White/Silver
Acer H7550BD 1080p DLP 3D Home Cinema Projector - White/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Your own personal IMAX, 21 Nov. 2015
Incredible!

I have a passive LG 3D TV and was going off 3D slightly. This projector has made it fun all over again. It's like your own personal IMAX at home. i can project a 120inch screen in perfect quality, which allows complete immersion unlike any experience you get from the cinema. You can, if you want, project a 300 inch screen, but you'd need a double height space to do that.

I was skeptical about active 3D due to people reporting eyestrain. If anything, I'm finding the opposite as the screen is much brighter and crisper than passive 3D. It's a revelation and MUCH better than the cinema. I've never understood what people meant when they refer to rainbowing in relation to active 3D projectors. I've noticed it when reading text on 3D blu ray menus. It's basically when your eyes dart around the screen quickly, you see flashes of multicolour. I was worried at first, but the effect dissapeared whilst watching films. It only appears to be present when using menu screens as your eyes move differently to injest information. They relax more whilst watching films..

Playing PS4 and Xbox one on such a large screen is jawdroppingly good. I'm loving Rise of the Tomb Raider and even the very average Star Wars Battlefront.

The cabled sound output is only stereo, but that's not a problem as I can wirelessly connect to my surround system and presto. I love the lack of wires. I do find that the wireless connection can drop, creating crackle. However, to get around this just use optical eads from your devices through to your stereo. Solved.

Set up is easy. Literally plug and play. 3D glasses auto connect without hassle.

The menu is detailed and allows a lot of tinkering. I had to use an online manual as they only supply a disc in the box which is a bit hopeless in an age of discless devices. Note - you can only access the menu after selecting an input with the input device turned on. It took me a while to figure this out.

Unlike the Benq 1070+, you can't project from an angle (as far as I can work out). The lamp life is also less, at 4000 hours. That's not a big problem though as you can swap in a new lamp yourself at a cost of around £90. 4000 hours is a long time so you won't be doing that for a while. The online manual explains the process and the projector itself has a lamp-life countdown. It will tell you when to change the lamp.

Another plus, which puts this beyond the reach of similar priced projectors, is the fact it's 3000 lumens. Comparable counterparts have 2200 lumens. That means this projector is brighter and makes the 3D effect better. This con is, it's more power hungry and will cost around £140 to run for 5 years with average usage.

You can use the projector in the day, but sunlight will always be the enemy of projectors. EVEN £100K cinema projectors would look washed out in daylight. This is best used, for a cinematic experience after the sun has gone down or with good blackout curtains or blinds.

I got mine on lightning deals for £380. which is a crazy steal if you can get it for the same price.

The main problem is finding good DLP 3d glasses. I'm finding, unlike passive 3D glasses, the lenses are small, meaning the rim of the glasses is around the edge of your field of vision. I hate this, but have ordered a variety of glasses and will update this with the best ones.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 5:59 PM GMT

Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4)
Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4)
Offered by rockaway-records

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull shooty shooty bang bang, 19 Nov. 2015
I love star wars and knew this didn't have single player, but took the leap anyways. After 8 hrs play - What a let down. Despite good graphics, you just spend your time running in circles, with limited functionality and weapons, looking for fodder. It's really dull. Flying is better but still lacking in any actual purpose. It's all running/flying in circles.

Why they didn't make a campaign is beyond me because this online shooty shooty bang bang is flash in the pan mediocrity. Even solo play doesn't escape the blandness. EA have also held back a ton of content and shouldn't have been given the privaledge of championing the Star Wars flag.

In conclusion. This game kind of sucks

Fallout 4 (PS4)
Fallout 4 (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3.5 - Very Average for next gen and quickly forgetable, 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Fallout 4 (PS4) (Video Game)
I was so looking forward to this game and for the first 20 or 30 hours forgave the average graphics. They're not terrible, but are not next gen. It feels like this was made for ps3 but delayed for ps4 to iron out bugs.

On the bugs front, it's brilliant. I've finished all the main missions and most fraction missions and have had no problems.

The problem is it's the same game as Fallout 3. It hasn't evolved at all, despite settlement crafting, which adds little to gameplay and enjoyment. Infact, it can even make it a grindy chore at points.. Even missions are almost direct parallels of Fallout 3 and Vegas. After massive, graphically amazing and diverse games, like MSGV and the Witcher 3, Fallout 4 feels like a relic of the past that doesn't have a clue how to grow up.

I still enjoyed it for a while but, at level 47, have totally lost steam and the will to care.

I feel sad at how much I wanted to love this, compared to how much I convinced myself I loved it, compared to how much I actually loved it after the shine of it being a sequel to one of my all time favourite games wore off. Phantom Menace rings a bell. Maybe that's a little harsh as nothing's 'THAT' bad.

Also, the map is deceptively small and a lot of quests have you repeat locations, especially fraction quests which overlap horribly. I hated that. Also, the wasteland looks the same as all other Fallouts. Major settlements are small and uninsteresting and quests are largely uneventful. There are some moments of brilliance and the creativity I expect from a Fallout, but these are few and far between.

Enlarge the map and allow us use of vehcles, both ground and air, which we're constantly shown, but not allowed to use. Look at GTA V as an example of how to progress a great franchise. Think more and bigger!

This is not the Fallout you are looking for... and it hurts me to say that...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2016 1:55 PM GMT

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain Day One Edition PS4 Game
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain Day One Edition PS4 Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding on every level. Africa and Afghanistan in stunning, beautiful war-drenched depth, 1 Sept. 2015
I've never been a big fan of shooters or previous MSG games and the opening hour of MSGV was frustrating and painful to get through. The next, perhaps, ten hours are needed to learn a complicated and deep control system which sees you managing a massive host of things from weapons, bases, buddies, customisations, staff and more.

When you've finally grasped the massive depth, which makes GTA V look like a child's Lego game in comparison, MSGV becomes the most impressive and versatile game ever made.

Few times have I experienced a game that makes my jaw drop and signals a future benchmark for games on every level. The last game to blow me away with scale was the original Tomb Raider almost 20 years ago. Nothing before it had achieved anything close to the vision it showed. The same can be said of MSGV. It's truly in a league of its own.

This game is massive and beautiful. I've been playing for over 60 hours, have opened up the Africa map (which is so so so beautiful) on top of Afghanistan. I've played tons of side-op missions, unlocked many weapons and base areas, which are upgraded to a high level, and the game is only 30% complete. I've had to stop as I've been playing solidly for five days and need to rest my eyes and brain, as I'm now dreaming MSGV too...

It's the biggest game I've ever played and each mission offers you a literally infinite number of possible permutations for completion. The desire to collect, build, upgrade, scavenge and loot everything reminds me of Fallout. You'll find yourself not even selecting a mission, as simply roaming around hitting base after base is so addictive.

The world is diverse and beautiful. You'll frequently stop, just look around and drink in the beautiful landscapes, sunsets or weather events. I haven't even seen an on the rails dedicated 10hr story game with graphics this good.

It's truly a masterpiece and will take you forever to complete fully.

It does have a few seriously difficult missions where the the difficulty jumps off the charts. Other events occur that will devastate everything you have worked so hard to build. You'll care a lot. You'll fume, but you'll brush it off and get back into the fight with full knowledge of what you're fighting for.

Happy Note Edit: When you think you've finished the game after a bad ass battle (Main mission chapter 31) and the long credits with music roll. You Haven't. That's just chapter 1.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2015 6:32 PM BST

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4)
Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (PS4)
Offered by Base

1.0 out of 5 stars EA - Morally Bankrupt / Cash Rich, 16 July 2015
Yet another EA Disappointment. Once again EA proves their only interest is satisfying investor's need for a new yacht whilst pillaging your wallet. This game could well see EA win 'worst company in America' for a third time due to massive consumer dissatisfaction.

firstly, advertised pre-order bonuses are nowhere to be seen.

The lack of courses and features available is woeful. No doubt the other two thirds have been held back so they can sell you it as DLC, making the actual game cost circa £200 when all's said and done. With all the dirty sweaty money EA have, renewing licenses with the major tournament hosts, to include in this game, should have been a must. They don't want to spend money, just make it.

Why no Bingo Bango Bongo or Skins in multiplayer? This is a real kick in the teeth as the best part of these golf games is with friends. Those game modes even the odds for people who aren't as good and don't own the game, making it fun. No one who doesn't own the game will want to get thrashed in stroke play. This kills the game in terms of playing with friends over a few drinks.

The presentation is garbage. No trophies, playoffs etc. It's way too easy. I don't understand how such a poor release was sent out and EA can still hold their head's up. This demonstrates pure arrogance and contempt for consumers.

The graphics are, seriously dodgy with textures and objects popping in and out. For some reason the picture also looks really pixelated, and stutters and flashes. It's the worst I've ever seen a game look on my PS4. The buttons are also extremely slow to respond with massive lag. Pressing triangle, for example, to view your shot and placement takes a second to engage, then moves achingly slowly down the fairway. Gone are the fluid mechanics of previous games. This really is a stinker. It looks nothing like the E3 demo footage or the trailers.

The tagline for this game is 'Golf without limits.' It should read 'Golf without limits on the amount of cash we plan on making you part with in order to enjoy the full game'
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2015 4:29 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7