Profile for Luisata > Reviews

Content by Luisata

Luisata (Glasgow)

Divergent Trilogy boxed Set (books 1-3) (Divergent Trilogy)
Divergent Trilogy boxed Set (books 1-3) (Divergent Trilogy)
by Veronica Roth

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak story telling, a feeble attempt to imitateThe Hunger Games... with a sprinkle of religious propaganda!, 21 Jan. 2015
I always tend to read books that my daughter (12 years old) reads so that we can have a chat about it. After the whole Harry Potter series, I've introduced her to classics such as The Outsiders, Taming the Star Runner and other S.E. Hinton's books, to real life accounts such as The Freedom Writers Diaries, and to what I would define as modern classics such as The Lord of the Rings and The Hunger Games, which we both loved.
The first book, Divergent, is enough fun. After all, it's about a young girl who overcomes her shyness and physical weakness through hard work and pure determination. She is a bit winy for my taste, but it's ok. I did find the whole factions system absolutely ludicrous, but this is a work of fantasy so I can get over it.
Book 2, Insurgent, on the other hand, is mostly religious propaganda about self sacrifice, surrounded by constant winging, backstabbing and lovers' quarrels... I did find it really irritating and before I was halfway through it I figured out the end of Book 3...
Book 3, Allegiant, again, a book full of subtle religious propaganda about self sacrifice. Not only that, it changes supposedly intelligent characters into idiots who make very stupid decisions.... Again, lovers' quarrels are a constant, as well as winging and self pity. Plus, I found the explanation of the whole Faction systems, the meaning of being Divergent and the whole Purity War absolutely incongruous.
My daughter agrees with me, she did find the last 2 books quite annoying.
I see this trilogy as a weak attempt to imitate The Hunger Games, a trilogy which, on the other hand, I thought was well written, well planned and well developed.
My advise is, read Divergent for fun if you're bored and have nothing else to read, but don't bother with the rest!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2015 5:54 AM BST

The Slap
The Slap
by Christos Tsiolkas

4.0 out of 5 stars A portrait of modern Australia, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Slap (Paperback)
I can see why many Australians felt offended by this book. It highlights misogyny, racism and 'machoism' among almost all characters. There is not denying that this is a reality which exists.
But what I liked about the book is that, although the men in this novel share most of this faults, I am still able to sympathize with most of them, including Harry. The characters feel very real, people are not all good or all evil, they're simply human beings that can make mistakes. There is a large component of cultural heritage which contributes to the ways men behave and think of themselves, you'll find the same in Italo-Americas such as Tony Sopranos' crew for instance.
The women, on the other hand, are very strong, though they are not necessarily likeable either. This again, to me reflects the human nature! I really like Anouk however, to me she is the strongest and most honest character in the novel.
I like the ways in which intimacy is described, the ways in which each of the characters cope with the event (the slap), how they negotiate the relationships with each other, and the constant discovery of past 'incidents'.
This book makes you think, it constantly challenges your opinion of all individuals, and to me it seems to portray a very real world.
I read it in 3 days, couldn't put it down.

The Barefoot Book of Princesses (Book & CD)
The Barefoot Book of Princesses (Book & CD)
by John Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the usually boring princesses stories!!, 9 Mar. 2009
These are stories collected from different parts of the world, which reflect different cultures and attitudes towards women. My children love this book!

BreadMaker AFK Germany 800 WATTS *2 kneading hooks* 1.3 kg (2,9 lbs) loaf size bread, dough or marmelade

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 2 Dec. 2008
This breadmaker is fantastic, and the sellers are very reliable.
I've only used it to make bread, and the results have been fantastic, since day one! I make sour dough bread, brown bread, seeded loafs ect,all very tasty.
The machine is easy to use, has a horizontal tray (it makes the loaf look nicer and you can put sesame/pumpkin seeds on the top!)and a timer... it's nice to wake up to freshly baked bread!
I'm very happy with this machine! I haven't bought a single loaf since I make my own!