Profile for GP > Reviews

Queen [2011 Remaster Deluxe 2CD Edition]
Queen [2011 Remaster Deluxe 2CD Edition]
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen. Finally the sound does it justice., 14 Mar. 2011
Queen (or Queen I) has always always been dogged by a weaker sound than the albums that followed. That is no longer an issue.

Finally this raw, hard-edged Queen album has the wings it needs to soar and submerge the listener into a comforting realm of hard rock. The album now stands up by today's high standard of sound and big credit must be given to the mixer, Bob Ludwig for getting so much out of the original tapes while maintaining the core sound. (The bass hasn't been blown up out of all recognition and the drums don't crack the speakers on the top notes like most modern recordings do. The whole package is professional and the clarity is hugely improved.)

The De Lane Lea bonus material is a fascinating incite for those Queen fans who are in the know about the band's history. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to a very early Queen attempting to produce themselves in a brand new studio, but that's another long story.

The 2011 remasters are, in my opinion, well worth the money for long time Queen fans and the perfect opportunity for new listeners to get started on their Queen collections.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2013 6:40 PM BST

Freddie Mercury: The Definitive Biography
Freddie Mercury: The Definitive Biography
by Lesley-Ann Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Detailed Biography of Freddie to date..., 9 May 2007
...But, like other reviewers of this book have stated, it does neglect the music.

Having been a hardcore fan of Queen for many many years, I thought I'd read it all. So I was very reluctant to buy this book, fearing it was going to be another arms-length interpritation, rushed released, cash-in book written after Freddie died. Not so, not by a long shot.

I was warmly suprised to find that Lesly-Ann Jones has certainly done her homework. She cuts down rumors and inconsistancies in other well-known Freddie books, even the one's we thought we could trust. She also manages to get exclusive interviews which really do make you feel like you know the great man personally, and she doesn't pull her punches when it comes to his sexual quirks and adventures. And, while painting all these pictures, she also covers the many complicated aspects of his life, without ever loosing thread.

But the one thing that is still lacking from the Queen industry is a book dedicated to Queen and Freddie's music making, which for me would be fasinating, (I loved watching the Making Of One Vision documentary on Queen's Greatest Video Hits II).

There are very rare photographs also in this book which, for a hardcore fan, come as quite refreshing and interesting. We all like a good picture of Freddie striking up a famous pose, but it's old hat as far as books are concerned.

If you want a detailed book on Queen as a band, this isn't it. And to be honest for such a book to cover everything would be so thick it could be used to beat whales to death. Queen: The Early Years is by far the most detailed I've read to date, it goes as far as the Bohemion Rhapsody era. I recommend you check it out.

This book has obvious passion and from the first few chapters I knew I was in for a treat. I'm also thankful that it reads like a report, not an arse-kissing fan letter. The anecdotes finally come from those closest to Freddie and are unforgettable. This was a great read indeed.