Profile for Julie > Reviews

Content by Julie

Julie "dunwomblin" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
GRBON Rubber Plastic Bath Shower Screen Seal Strip For 4-6mm Glass Door Curved Straight 3-7mm Gap
Offered by Xiang Long Wholesale

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 May 2015
Exactly what was needed but really difficult to fit!

'Twas The Knits Before Christmas
'Twas The Knits Before Christmas
by Fiona Goble

1.0 out of 5 stars I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!, 24 Jan. 2014
Honestly, the patterns in this book are hideous. Talk about a load of misfit Christmas characters. The book looks lovely with the poem threaded through it but don't buy it if you want to knit some cute Christmas toys - they are a disaster.

Dyson Groom Tool Vacuum-Assisted Dog Groomer
Dyson Groom Tool Vacuum-Assisted Dog Groomer

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer!!!, 1 Feb. 2013
I bought this on a whim and I'm so glad I did! I wouldn't say my Golden Retriever enjoys this but he tolerates it as I always give hima treat afterwards. I love it though - every time I use it I almost fill the cylinder with loose fur, the dog looks super fluffy and the carpet remains clean! The only slight problem is that it doesn't stay on to the Dyson attachment very well so you have to be a little careful!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you have a tiled floor, 19 May 2012
I have had this for less than a week and am thinking of replacing it already. I've just tried lifting off my limestone floor and it was stuck! Now it's up it has left a sticky deposit all over the tiles and the backing is coming away from the rest of it. If you are using it on a carpet then I'm sure it is fine but, otherwise, I'd steer clear!

Soundbridge Radio Wi-Fi Media Player - Wireless Home Audio System
Soundbridge Radio Wi-Fi Media Player - Wireless Home Audio System

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer Clear - weakness with Power Supply, 22 Sept. 2009
Although this is a great product while it is working - steer clear! It has a design fault which causes the power supply to fail after about a year. Although the manufacturer has admitted there is a problem and extended the warranty to 2 years for this particular problem, the warranty procedure is dire! To get a replacement you have to ship the faulty product to Germany at your expense(approx £30) and most people who have done so have been sent a refurbished (not new)radio in return which quite often has the same power supply problem.

I would not recommend buying this product.

Maximum Ride: The Final Warning
Maximum Ride: The Final Warning
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a Maximum Ride book? * SPOILERS*, 22 May 2008
I picked up this book and my first thought was 'Is this a Maximum Ride Book'? The text was twice as large, the book much thinner and the first ten pages or so were devoted to some rubbish prologue that was never refereed to or mentioned after. What did it tell me? That the flock could fly...and of course I didn't know that!

Patterson changed Max dramatically in this book, losing her feisty tomboy spark and instead making her a preppy cheerful 'in touch with her feelings' sort of girl. Which went down like a ton of bricks with me. Max and Fang also seem to be stuck in some sort of time loop with their relationship. I felt like Patterson had literally rephrased the scene on the cliff in book three and stuck it in here.

Fangs blog which got a few laughs out of me last time seemed to only have been put in to fill up more space and to update the stupider readers on what the plot so far had been. Which leads me to the next point- the plot...If there is one. So Jeb (who now seems to have been totally forgiven)has suggested that the flock potters off to Antarctica and of course, they agree. When there, very little happens apart from some bizarre stuff about a cyborg and some penguins...to tell the truth, my mind had literally switched off at this point so these few chapters just drifted through my mind (which was effectively asleep)without leaving any impression. So, without actually doing any good, the flock are off again but not to the cat-and-mouse game that was so good in the other books. No, they have been captured by a baddie (Itex has now disappeared) we know nothing about and don't care about. The 'Uber' Director. Of what? I told you, we don't know anything about him! Of course, being a complete idiot, he is destroyed by a grade 5 hurricane that he CHOSE to hide in the path of!

Another amazingly annoying part to this book was the flocks powers. They seemed to develop a new one about every one every 5 pages, despite the fact that none of them came in use at all. Obviously, Patterson only added them because he could not think of anything else to keep the plot moving.

Total also disappointed me. (Hold on- I'll explain how a talking dog can be a let down!)So, Patterson decided to give him the most bizarre mutation-He grew wings.Yes, you heard me right- Patterson grew tired of Iggy having to carry him. Another problem I had with him was his...disturbing crush on a husky.

This book brings more questions up than it answers. Patterson decides to destroy the secrets behind 'The Voice' (Which, incidentally was very quiet in this book)and instead, not explain it. The ending is left hanging in the air and instead of ending in a bang, it ended it an unconvincing whimper, leaving the flock's location and future unknown.

The witty remarks, Max's sarcasm and general comedy, were the best parts of the last three books, but sadly,all of the comedy was sucked out of this book, leaving it as a dry and empty shell.

Sorry this review has been so long, but I'm finally at my last point- GLOBAL WARMING. Yes, It deserves capitals. We all know that global warming is important but I cannot accept it when, despite the fact that they were no help to the research teams, Max ends up giving a 25 page speech to the very sort of 'officials' she has been trying to avoid for the last three books, saying that we are all "equal". She's a genetic experiment who everyone has been trying to kill and she talks about equality? That's taking it too far!

So, to sum my review up... rubbish. I can't think of anything good about the book ,but if you think it sounds equal to the others, then go ahead, read on. If you are a die hard Maximum Ride fan, then read on with caution- you will be disappointed! If you are a new reader then I would recommend not approaching this book with even a ten foot barge-pole and those are my final words on the subject!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2012 5:42 PM GMT

The Supernaturalist
The Supernaturalist
by Eoin Colfer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 July 2007
This review is from: The Supernaturalist (Paperback)
I liked this book. It was much tougher but more fun than the fowl series. I would say it was more original, but It felt like across between loads of things. Good, but could do with a unique twist. This book is NOT predictable and I love it, no matter what is wrong with it.

Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony: 5
Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony: 5
by Eoin Colfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis is Back!!!, 1 July 2007
Despite the wait, this book is great! This book focus's more on the action than peoples feelings, but the storyline is very clever. This time we have story from 3 points of view. The best part is the climax, but it ends the book with a flop. That said, this book is excellent and we find out more about the demons and other worlds...

Nightrise (Power of Five book 3)
Nightrise (Power of Five book 3)
by Anthony Horowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep- The best!, 1 July 2007
I really enjoyed this book. It is based on some new characters, which is a breath of fresh air from Matt. This book is definately not a simple plotline and takes a long time to get into, but it's worth it! It is not easy to guess how it will end and you will be hooked!

HOWEVER: You must have read the other power of five books!!!

Young Bond: Double or Die
Young Bond: Double or Die
by Charlie Higson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great- but can YOU work it out?, 1 July 2007
I really enjoyed this book. It was the best, in my opinion, in the series, but I have one critisicm.

This might sound picky, but when a book is scattered with cryptic clues, they need to be possible to work out! No reader will have any idea of the conclusion, while the characters do!

However, this shouldn't put you off. Just read it twice!

Page: 1 | 2