Profile for M. Smith > Reviews

Content by M. Smith

M. Smith

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, 26 Jan. 2015
Works very well. Well made. Good stuff.

DSLR Cinema: Crafting the Film Look with Large Sensor Video Cameras
DSLR Cinema: Crafting the Film Look with Large Sensor Video Cameras
by Kurt Lancaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jun. 2013
This book really is excellent. I read it cover-to-cover, and it really does cover everything you need to know to shoot "cinema-level" DSLR video footage. It's clearly written and concise, but doesn't patronise.

The only real negative is that this second edition has obviously been built on the first, which covered mainly the Canon 5dMk2 and the 7d. The 5dMk3 and other more recent cameras do get some space in this 2nd edition, but not a lot. I didn't find this a big problem - and as the technology is moving so fast at the moment it comes with the territory. Those wanting advice specific to the Mk3 and more recent advances such as Magic Lantern's RAW video may want to keep their fingers crossed for 3rd edition. However that info can be found easily online, and this book provides a superb foundation with which to put such new developments in context.

Recommended.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Stagg, 24 Jun. 2013
Lead I got was not Stagg branded as described. I'm sure it's exactly the same product, but this should be made clear before purchase. It does have Nutrik connectors.

Studio Clip with Spigot and 1/4'' Screw and Rubber Protector Cover
Studio Clip with Spigot and 1/4'' Screw and Rubber Protector Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars How do you use this clamp?, 24 Jun. 2013
This is useless because I have no idea how to attach it to my light stand. No instructions; does not attach directly to light stand; no indication of what accessory is needed to do so (the shoe mount that is commonly bought with this clamp does not help) ....

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos

3.0 out of 5 stars Surround Sound Only on Seasons 1-3, 11 Jun. 2013
According to the DVD box, seasons 1-3 have surround sound only - i.e. no stereo option. Why is this? I don't have a surround system, so I guess I'm hearing 5.1 through stereo speakers, and to be honest it sounds bad - dialogue is very muffled and it's difficult to make out a lot of the characters are saying.

On the "Complete Series" DVD box, seasons 1-3 are listed as 5.1, whereas seasons 4 & 5 are listed as both 5.1 and 2.0. If anyone can explain this I'd be grateful ...

Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition)
Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition)
by Alan Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak, 10 July 2011
Once again I find Alan Moore to be vastly overrated. I found the dialogue very clunky, the "story" almost imperceptible and the glib, allegorical philosophizing rather forced.

UPDTE: Turns out Moore himself agrees: [...]
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 10:18 AM GMT

Acme Novelty Library #20
Acme Novelty Library #20
by Chris Ware

3.0 out of 5 stars Going through the motions?, 7 Jan. 2011
I was a little disappointed by this one. I love Chris Ware's work and have enjoyed the last few Novelty Library issues very much. However, this one left me a bit cold. Where Jimmy Corrigan and Rusty Brown are not particularly likable, they are sympathetic characters. Jordan Lint, however, is distinctly unlikeable and the few moments that might have brought about some sympathy from me were not enough to draw me in.
Knowing the way Ware works, I think that this lack of emotional engagement with the main character had a detrimental effect on the way this book has been drawn. I didn't find the visuals as beautiful or "potent" as I normally do with his work. What formal experimentation there is seems a bit forced.

Compare the effectiveness of the introductory sequence, drawn in simplified "Playmobil" style, with the sublime realization at the beginning of Charles Burns' latest (and utterly wonderful) effort X'ed Out, that you are within some crudely rendered, TinTin influenced nightmare. Then the dream ends and the signature zig-zag shading kicks-in and is twice as compelling as it has any right to be. Ware's effort just doesn't stand up.

Having said that, this is still Chris Ware, and anything he ever does is probably going to be 90% better than most things out there - and this is. It just feels like he was going through the motions a bit with this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2011 4:09 PM GMT

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
by Chris Ware

5.0 out of 5 stars Low price for a work of art, 15 Jan. 2010
Though the maudlin story is itself not exactly a page turner (at times it's quite hard going - something the author himself admits to), the way it's told is extraordinary. I loved comics as a kid and at times find myself returning to Batman or Tintin, but for nostalgia as much as anything else. Now I'm an adult I just don't get as absorbed in the pictures the way I used to. Thanks to Chris Ware, reading this sophisticated and meticulously rendered book I've regained something I thought had faded forever. A frequently beguiling and shockingly affective work - there were several points I found my eyes misting up, though perhaps more because of the beauty and sensitivity of the illustration than the sad and pathetic life of the protagonist (which at times actually got on my nerves). There are numerous segments taken up with frankly boring and even visually uninteresting domestic scenarios involving Jimmy and his Dad, but in its better moments - and there are many - this is true art. Totally original, astoundingly accomplished and an attention to detail bordering on the worrying.
3 stars for the story, 10 for everything else.
It's really worth paying the extra for the hardback edition - the dust jacket is a work in itself, and as a whole the book is a beautiful object. It even smells good ...

Saitek Competition Pro Game Clock
Saitek Competition Pro Game Clock

4.0 out of 5 stars (not really a toy, but...) great!, 18 Oct. 2009
This is a great chess clock. It's sturdy and has loads of features. I really like the lighting buttons and beep (both of which you can turn off). If you're looking for a solid, all-round chess clock for a decent price - this is the one. My only gripe is that sometimes the buttons catch a little. Not a big problem in a normal game as long as you press firmly, but in blitz it can be slightly annoying to have to hit it twice if you don't connect properly. I imagine I'll learn how to avoid this and then it will be nearly perfect...