Profile for questorireland > Reviews

Content by questorireland

"questorireland"

Aftermath (Inspector Banks Novels)
Aftermath (Inspector Banks Novels)
by Peter Robinson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to keep you awake into the small hours..., 9 Oct. 2002
This was the first Peter Robinson book I had read, and my introduction to Inspector Banks. The whole detective genre is getting a bit stale now, and this really does not redress the balance, a detective with family problems, a few ambitious sidekicks, a love interest within the job, and a forensic psychologist that noone ever takes seriously. However once you get over that you get into a really gripping story that you will not want to put down. A series of abductions, and presumed deaths of young girls has taken place, and instead of the book taking you through the investigation and subsequent revlation of the guilty party it starts off with the identification of the abductor in the most explosive of ways. The book concentrates then on the fallout of the crimes, and delves back into the pasts of the guilty party, shedding light on what may have caused their deviant behaviour..I would say the only bad point of the book is the character of the cop under investigation of heavy handidness, I feel the character was weakly developed, and never really got going, to the point that you didn't really make a connection with the character or care what happened. Also like so many of these types of books, the end came too soon, whether because my enjoyment was so great that I wanted it to go on, or, as I suspect a page limit was approaching and it was time to wrap things up (why do so many modern books give me this impression).
Will I read more Robinson books about Inspector Banks ? You can be assurred that I will, and I will keep a keen eye out for the next installments in this series.