Profile for L. McKenna > Reviews

The Hairy Bikers Blood, Sweat and Tyres: The Autobiography
The Hairy Bikers Blood, Sweat and Tyres: The Autobiography
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Mar. 2016
Lovely insight into my 2 favourite TV chefs.

Moranifesto
Moranifesto
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Only read a few pages as ive not ..., 21 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Moranifesto (Hardcover)
Amazing. Only read a few pages as ive not finished my last book. But it looks to be as awesome as her last few titles.

Purple
Purple
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Purple (Audio CD)
Great album.

Holly Hagan: Not Quite a Geordie
Holly Hagan: Not Quite a Geordie
by Holly Hagan

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice read. Not to heavy in content, 7 Oct. 2014
A nice read. Not to heavy in content, but a lovely insight to one of my favourite G. Shore members. Lovely to get to see the other sides of this hilariously funny yet sensitive character

Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Offered by Cards Against Humanity, LLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars cards against humanity.... just try it, 16 Jan. 2014
Is exactly what it says in the box.. "a fun game for horrible people" loved it. Made great xmas present for my bestie :)

Let's Sign Pocket Dictionary: BSL Concise Beginner's Guide
Let's Sign Pocket Dictionary: BSL Concise Beginner's Guide
by Cath Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! recommend for anyone like myself learning BSL (level1 basic/ intro), 7 Oct. 2013
I Enrolled recently on a BSL level 1 course. so in my excitement before it began, I bought this dictionary to help me along with a extra couple of books.
This Dictionary was really helpful with trying to expand on my very very basic knowledge of BSL. It is clear and concise. There is a helpful explaination of how BSL works, the hand movements and some everyday signs which you may encounter. It also explains a lot about facial expressions etc. It was a lot more helpful that I initially thought it would be.

Since starting my BSL course. my tutor actually recommended we possibly use one of cath smiths dictionary's to help us develop our vocab. He recommended this dictionary along with other products by the "cath smith"
He was delighted when i showed him i already had the pocket addition. we compared his "table" version and my pocket addition and I must say. The pocket tends to only show one or 2 of the most common versions of a sign.
Where as the larger table dictionary naturally shows more variants. However for what I am doing, I find my pocket dictionary much more accessible for me though. As I take it to classes and also to work where I do work with people who sometimes punctuate what they are saying with signs.

I Definitely recommend either this or the full dictionary to anyone who is thinking about or learning BSL.
Its paid for itself already for me. It would be helpful to point out though that although Cath Smith does explain alot about basic sign language. This book alone will not make you fluently sign. The structure of sentences could not be explained in this book. But to be honest I didn't need it to and it would not be a dictionary if it began teaching you about structure , verbs etc.

In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor
In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor
by Nick Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and honest, 18 Feb. 2013
I bought this book along with "blood sweat and tea" as a recommended by amazon.
It was sort of inspired by the above book and is in a easy to read and follow blog style. Really interesting, funny and honest. Ive laughed and cried my way throught his book and was lovely to go throught the emotions with the aruther.

Very well puncuated with little info snippets and personal insights.

Recommend a read of this book if you have ever felt frustrated with the nhs. The doctors feel the same and it shows

Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
by Tom Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly funny and honest, 18 Feb. 2013
Really enjoyed this book. A very easy read. Taken from his online blog about his working life as a ambulance crew member.
Very funny and honest. It will make you laugh and cry. Shows a very human side to the job.

I work in care and spend alot of time reading. This diary/blog style of book is perfect as you can pick it up and read in short bursts without missing out on any action.

Throughly recomment the sequal as well as "in stitches: the highs and lows of a a&e doctoer" Which i bought on a amazon reommendation. All 3 share the blog style and in stiches was sort of inspired by this book and references it alot. Was really good insight to the hard working life of our brave and under appreicated nhs nurses, doctors ambulance crew and other staff :)

More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
by Tom Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant insight :), 18 Feb. 2013
I bought this book after I had started reading the first in the series. As brilliant as the first. Funny, honest and very human. A honest account of a mans thoughts and feelings on being ambulance crew member.

Totally recomment this read!

An Introduction to Yoga
An Introduction to Yoga

3.0 out of 5 stars first kindle purchase, 29 Dec. 2012
I bought this to try out the kindle software available for the pc. It was a ok read but not quite what i was looking for

Page: 1 | 2