Profile for A. Yorke > Reviews

Content by A. Yorke

A. Yorke (UK)

Sony DSCHX9VB Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera - Black (16.2MP, 16x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning HD 1080p video recording!, 1 Aug. 2012
Having been an owner of this brilliant camera for over 12 months now, I can safely say it was worth the money. The full HD 1080p 50fps video recording looks amazing! The video quality is crystal-clear and I have already used this camera to film many projects. Built-in sound recording is also very good.

Picture quality? Not so great. Good, but when you zoom in (after taking the photo) you can see the almost paint-brush strokes (probably because of some image compression?).

The main focus (hehe) of this camera is the video recording. Beautiful, high-def and doesn't take much skill to use (just the right settings selected).

More good points:
- Panorama mode
- 3D mode (haven't used it but if you've got a Sony 3D TV then try it!)
- Easy enough to use - pick up and go!
- Wide angle 24mm lens (but most cameras have this, if not higher)
- Full HD 1080p 50p video recording
- 16.2MP.
- 16x optical zoom (without losing quality).
- Easily placed start recording button - you don't have to be on the recording setting so you can record as soon as the camera's on!

Bad points:
- Not enough manual settings
- Flash placement is where your finger is placed.
- Photos taken are good but don't look like 16.2MP.
- Takes a while to switch on and get recording and once you've taken a photo it has to process for about 3-5 seconds!
- Photo mode (snow/food/fireworks etc) is a bit basic and needs more options.

Overall, 7/10. Video recording the best, photos turn out just OK.

Reeves 4 x 75 ml Metallic Colours Acrylic Paint
Reeves 4 x 75 ml Metallic Colours Acrylic Paint
Offered by Crafty Arts

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality paints, 1 Aug. 2012
My first purchase of Reeves paints. What do I think? They are very good. Well made and well suited to the purpose I needed them for (which is sort of as a 'scratchcard' coating, when mixed with washing-up liquid). They are very expensive though, so make sure you're using them for something worth spending a little under a tenner for.

Overall, very good product but very pricey!

P.S. you can now buy smaller bottles of these paints (pick & choose) at supermarkets - I know you can at the stationery isle at Tesco!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 1:50 AM GMT

DNC Simpsons Lunch Bag
DNC Simpsons Lunch Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lunchbox, 1 Aug. 2012
If you like The Simpsons and want a lunchbox with a picture of Bart with his skateboard, get this. Is there anything else slightly Simpsony about it? The official merchandise label maybe, but otherwise no.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good lunchbox (I would recommend you leave it to air before use), but just like every other piece of merchandise out there for every thing that's famous; it's a regular product with a picture on.

The Simpsons: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
The Simpsons: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, better as you go through the series., 1 Aug. 2012
Classic The Simpsons. It IS better than the episodes that are being shown now, but the voice talents haven't matured as much as most people are used to and they may sound slightly weird. Some good episodes in here although I still think that as you advance into series 7-12, you're really getting the best episodes from The Simpsons, where the writers creative talent is at maximum and when the voices are at their best. Recommended for collectors. Stick to later series if you're anything else.

Dr Seuss' The Lorax [DVD] [2012]
Dr Seuss' The Lorax [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Danny DeVito
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching moral - and better than I thought!, 1 Aug. 2012
So we went to the cinema, with nothing on that we wanted to watch. Dr Seuss' The Lorax looked like an alright film, although the trailers and the title didn't appeal to us. Nevertheless, we went to watch it anyway.

At first, I thought it was going to have an extremely poor storyline that would drag on just to use up the 90-minute norm length for films these days. However, it was quite interesting. A boy, trying to impress a girl who wants to have a real tree (sorry, I forgot to explain that they are living in a highly polluted town where they have machines that produce clean air and where all the trees are either inflatable or mechanical). To get a real tree, the boy needs to go and find the only man who knows what happened to them (yes, I know, doesn't sound the best).

As the story develops, we learn more about just what happened to everything. It all builds up and the pieces of the puzzle slot together until you know the truth. It is entirely true that this story could be told in under 10 or 15 minutes, but the full 90 minutes include the tiny details. The town is very much alive and living, with song and dance throughout, but the people living there do not understand the importance of trees (as they follow the manufacturer of bottled air who is totally against the things that 'stick out of the ground, with no purpose and leave messy leaves all over the place').

The film also contains an aspect of humour - not too cheesy, just enough to keep you interested in the film whilst thinking about the true seriousness of it. Entertaining and well-thought, this film is great for the whole family, so see it now! Forget about the title that puts you off and the poor trailers. 9/10 and a big moral. Remember - UNLESS.

Cover Film For Books Etc - Clear Sticky Back Plastic - 3 Metre Roll
Cover Film For Books Etc - Clear Sticky Back Plastic - 3 Metre Roll
Offered by Morgan's Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 20 July 2012
The other reviews seem a bit mixed. However, if you need it for a specific purpose that it will work with it should work alright. Yes, it's very thin, and yes it takes quite a bit of time to remove the backing, but other than that I can't seem to fault it. It's cheap and cheerful and is a long roll, perfect for storing just for when you need it.

The Muppets [DVD]
The Muppets [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Segel
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK..., 20 July 2012
This review is from: The Muppets [DVD] (DVD)
The title says it all - it's just, generally OK. Nothing else to really say about it. The Muppets have made a return and I think this film had a lot of potential. What let it down is the poor storyline (in my opinion) and the lack of that little something extra - something special that this really needed.

Personally, I think this was all just a big overrated hype, with everyone thinking 'wow, this movie is going to be amazing!' and then watching it and thinking 'oh'. Some parts I did find interesting and funny, and I can't lie to you there; however most of the time it just went on and on with the same old dry, boring humour. And, although this bit isn't related to the film - I don't like the plain background on the DVD cover. Plain is for simple. Is the Muppets simple in their bright, colourful and a bit random costumes? Didn't think so.

So overall this is a bit of a let down. Have the Muppets made a return? Yes they have. Is it up to the standard everyone wanted? No. Like many things these days, this movie was a big let down. Just a pile of overrated c*** again. Will it make millions? Yes. Is it different, unusual and interesting? No.

Samsung 16GB Class 10 SDHC Extreme Speed Card
Samsung 16GB Class 10 SDHC Extreme Speed Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, high quality and high capacity, 23 Jun. 2012
This product is amazing! Grab things like this on Amazon now! It came in original Samsung packaging, and is a class 10 (basically the best of the best) SDHC (for high quality/techy cameras) and has a pretty high capacity (16GB).

I put this little sleek, shiny thing into my Sony DSC-HX9V and started it up. I think I can get about 2,500 photos onto it from my camera, and I think over an hour of Full HD 1080p on there. Overall a great product, definitely recommended!!!

Days of Wonder Ticket to Ride Card Game
Days of Wonder Ticket to Ride Card Game
Offered by Toys 4 you

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, simple to play and good fun overall!, 23 Jun. 2012
This game is much better than I expected. I purchased this product as a father's day present as it looked like a fun, colourful card game that is easy to set up/learn the rules to. I read a few reviews and found out that this game didn't actually have that much positive feedback, most saying 'the board game is better'. Well, I can understand that but I didn't have £40 to fork out getting the board game, so took a bit of a risk.

I used Super Saver Delivery on the product, purchasing it on the Monday before Father's Day. I thought this would give me enough time but the estimated date said Satuday - Tuesday (Sat the day before Father's Day). Then I got an e-mail saying my order has been DELAYED!!! (new estimate Mon - Wed). I couldn't cancel now so just left it, and somehow Amazon got it to me on FRIDAY!!! Super Saver was extremely quick this time and the packaging was just right.

Back to the product - when I opened it I thought it was a bit simple as literally the only things were the cards and a rule book, but still gave it a chance. When I did play it, I discovered that it was simple and colourful. The box and cards themselves were high quality and everything seemed spot on. The game is a game of strategy and not at all down to luck. This game is well worth it and the age of 8+ is correct. Games are the perfect amount of time - not too long that you have to stop half-way through but not too short that you get bored of playing the same thing. In effect, you can alter the game play time by changing the amount of cards you have, and many rules are changeable if you want to.

Overall, a really great game, well recommended the perfect pressie and a good service from Amazon.
My rating: 8.5/10