Profile for Nuid > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Relic Hunters
The Relic Hunters

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 7 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Relic Hunters (Kindle Edition)
I'm giving up on this. Now.

The Life You Left
The Life You Left

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, 27 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Life You Left (Kindle Edition)
Atrocious. Not worth my time. (Or yours). Gave it up around 1/3 the way through.

2.0 out of 5 stars ****may contain spoilers****, 28 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Follow You Home (Kindle Edition)
The author obviously has no shortage of ideas for plots. But to cram them all into one book is not a good idea. We had witches, monsters and ghosts (in one person's imagination, admittedly), baby farming, kidnapping, drugs, and old communists. Plus Transylvania. And too many characters - some of whose names were "old man" "fat man" etc. I'm quite clear-headed but even I got confused.
It was sheer hard work for me to finish this book, and when I thought I had got to the end, I found there was an epilogue!! I couldn't believe my eyes. But even the epilogue didn't fill the plot holes (we were never told - were we? - about where the backpacks ended up, or the drugs that were in them. And I was too bored and annoyed to go looking backwards to find out. And to get to the epilogue and find that the story had not really ended at all - that was cheap.
I did not enjoy this book, and I don't recommend it.

Someone is Watching: A gripping thriller from the queen of psychological suspense

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time!, 11 Jun. 2017
Dreadfully boring book, I thought. Admittedly the "heroine" has been raped, but why make us read 3/4 of the book about conversations she had with people who either called in to see her, or phoned to ask her how she was? She didn't do anything or go anywhere. Pages and pages of this rubbish as she stays in her (luxury) apartment for weeks or perhaps months. And eventually when she does venture out, it's to investigate her own rape -- and I seriously doubt if many raped women want to do that. Then, when the perpetrator is revealed, the book suddenly finishes. No explanation of how or why he (presumably) followed her and raped her. Nothing told to us about what the outcome of his trial was. I honestly thought this was easy writing for the author and difficult reading for us, the readers. What's the point?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2017 12:57 AM BST

While My Eyes Were Closed: The #1 Bestseller
While My Eyes Were Closed: The #1 Bestseller

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 4 April 2017
How many young women have read books like this on Amazon, and decided, "I can do that". So they do. And we have another boring, badly written book about mothers and daughters, and kidnapped children. Yes, I read the blurb before I bought it. I wanted to confirm my suspicions, and I did. Boring, boring, boring.
I'm going to go now and get something by Ken Follett that might be remotely interesting. This one ("While my eyes were closed") certainly wasn't.

Guest Bed
Guest Bed

2.0 out of 5 stars Boorringgg, 3 April 2017
This review is from: Guest Bed (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't get past the first few pages, I'm afraid. I was bored stiff.

Rogue Lawyer
Rogue Lawyer

2.0 out of 5 stars I like a book with a beginning, 26 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Rogue Lawyer (Kindle Edition)
This is not the John Grisham I'm accustomed to. I like a book with a beginning, a middle, and an end. But this is almost like a collection of short stories. However, I've been ill for the past two days, and I kept reading, because it was sort-of interesting and kept my mind off how I was feeling!

Everyone Brave Is Forgiven
Everyone Brave Is Forgiven

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book. Best I've read for quite a long ..., 15 Mar. 2017
Brilliant book. Best I've read for quite a long time. Funny and sad (and I learned a lot about Malta which I hadn't known!)
As I had just read a book publicised as "the gripping psychological thriller everyone is raving about" -- which was a waste both of time and money -- this book by Chris Cleave restored my faith in reading!

Behind Closed Doors: The gripping psychological thriller everyone is raving about

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish!, 14 Mar. 2017
Dreadful, useless book. Don't waste your money or your time!

First One Missing
First One Missing

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, yes, 26 Dec. 2016
This review is from: First One Missing (Kindle Edition)
Pretty good, yes. I was really taken aback by the ending, which I hadn't anticipated at all. I get irritated when I (correctly) guess the denouement about half way through a book. But this was a surprise.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4