Profile for B. Cornell > Reviews

B. Cornell

Lelo Insignia Lyla 2 Remote Control Vibrating Love Egg Deep Rose
Lelo Insignia Lyla 2 Remote Control Vibrating Love Egg Deep Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but tricky to control and not discrete, 6 Jun. 2017
It's a very good vibrator and it certainly works, but there are some issues.

Like many people, I wanted to be able to use this discretely in a public places, for a bit of fun. However, for no clear reason, when you switch it on, the remote starts buzzing and vibrating at full power, very loud and indiscreet, so no real use for that. Also, the remote is quite confusing and fiddly to use. I often had little idea what was going on inside her and sometimes I thought I'd switched it off, only to discover it was still going. Wouldn't it be easier just to have on/off faster/slower buttons?

TomTom GO LIVE 1000 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries) (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by LCD & Plasma Service GmbH

1.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone have one of these with a good battery?, 21 Jun. 2012
In theory this is a fantastic item. I've seen it do its job and the Live function is superb, the bluetooth is easy to use, it's clear and fairly straightforward. I drove from Norway to Italy with it and it was a dream.

The problems seem to come within a short while of use. Suddenly the battery cannot be charged, you can leave it charging either in the car, in the house or from the laptop for hours, sometimes the charging light will even go green, but unplug the mains and it will switch itself off because the battery isn't charged. I took it back in the end and was given a replacement, but this not only had the same problem, but also the Live function only connects about a quarter of the time. I find I rarely use it without having to do a "soft reset" at some point, often this is the only way it will switch on, which isn't much fun when you're trying to drive somewhere. It switches itself off randomly and often puts itself into "flight mode".

When it is constantly resetting, it seems to lose its updates and I keep being told that my maps haven't been updated for a year, although they have.

I thought I was unlucky getting two defective units, until I went to their support forum. The complaints on there about this subject are endless and I have yet to find a single person who owns one of these with a good battery. It's so frustrating, because when it works it is an excellent product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2012 10:45 AM BST

Black Swan Green
Black Swan Green
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan Green (Paperback)
I've read nearly all of Mitchell's books and so far this one stands out as being his best. It's quite a surprise after reading the others that take in such wide areas and a high number of characters, that his most inward looking writing is his most affecting. I never wanted this book to end.

Pandaemonium
Pandaemonium
by Christopher Brookmyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Brookmyre is superb, but this is his worst by far, 2 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Pandaemonium (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Christopher Brookmyre. His books hit exactly the right note for me with their mixture of superb characters, a similar political and theological viewpoint to mine, pop-culture references that match my own and brilliantly paced action. I look forward to his books all year and have never ben disappointed, I would rate everything he has done at at least an 8 out of 10 and often 9 or 10....until this one.

The build up was slow and careful, which we're used to. Some of Brookmyre's books don't start to pay off until you're half-way through, but the investment you've made in the characters has always been worth it. Here, however, there were some alarm bells ringing early on. Off to a retreat in the remote Scottish countryside where we know they'll be attacked? Wasn't that "Be My Enemy" (even with a repeated makeshift flame thrower)? School-friends together with their crazy mix of personalities and bullies turned good? "One Fine Day..." and A Tale Etched in Blood..."?

Also Chris had some problems writing dialogue for teenagers, some of it was a bit incongruous. Their references aren't really right for their generation and neither is how they speak. He wants them all to talk like his grown up characters and that just comes across strangely.

The real problem though was that the premise for the book was a new direction for the author of science-fiction and I didn't think it really worked. The ending was exceptionally weak for one of Brookmyre's books. There were dissatisfying gaps and loose ends. Most characters' storylines just stopped without any conclusion to their narrative. Rocks, Kirk, Blake, and Deborah all just disappeared rather abruptly.

I look forward to the next book just like always and Brookmyre is still number one for me, but after 13 books, this was his first stumble for me.

A Prayer for Barney Thomson (Book 3)
A Prayer for Barney Thomson (Book 3)
by Douglas Lindsay

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after it was recommended., 10 Oct. 2006
Douglas Lindsay kept on popping up on my recommendations as I am a fan of Chris Brookmyre, Zane Radcliffe and Colin Bateman. It may be a little unfair to review this after reading it out of order with its series but I was very disappointed.

It wasn't a great story and the wit is not even close to matching that of the other writers listed above. Barney Thomson was a lead character utterly lacking in charisma or charm and the charaters around him didn't fill this gap either.

It was also pretty easy to guess who the killer was due to the lack of peripheral characters.

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect last book before bedtime, 3 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
We always look through a selection of books before bedtime with our daughter, but this one is read every night at the end. It's gentle and calming and leads into us going around the room saying goodnight to all of her favourite things before she goes to sleep.

As she has grown older she has begun to enjoy and recognise the pictures and search for the cats, the cow and the mouse.

Peace at Last
Peace at Last
by Jill Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant brilliant brilliant!, 31 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Peace at Last (Paperback)
I read this book every night to my 9 month old daughter and she absolutely loves it.
She waits excitedly for all the familiar noises and the exclamations that are repeated on nearly every page (you have to get the voice right).
I've been searching ever since for another bedtime book as good, but she's happy to keep hearing this one again and again until then.
I just wonder how much extra she'll get from it when she really understands it too.

Harold And Kumar Get The Munchies [DVD]
Harold And Kumar Get The Munchies [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Cho
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior comedy (If you like it silly), 17 Sept. 2005
I expected very little from this comedy, but I haven't laughed out loud so much at anything in years. Excellent characters and ridiculous situations make it a lot smarter than it seems. It's got no stars in it, so you know it's not just a vehicle for anyone, but the guy who plays Kumar is hilarious.
I didn't think Dude where's my car was that good, but they've really got it right here. This may be a slow growing classic.